December 2016 Moms

Baby Shower Hostess Gifts

My friend is throwing me a shower on October 2nd (unexpected as this isn't my first, but it is my first with my husband and we don't have much for a newborn), so I've started thinking about an appropriate hostess gift. The guest list is about 20 people and she's hosting a brunch in her home. She is the ultimate party planner/hostess and I know she's going to go all out.

I've thought about gift cards for mani/pedi, to her favorite craft supply store, and/or starbucks...have you thought at all about what you'll give? What have you given in the past? I can't be the only one thinking about this!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Baby Shower Hostess Gifts

• Oh wow - I've never heard of a hostess gift for the person throwing you a shower!  I've thrown about 5-6 showers in the past couple years too.  Curious to hear what everyone does.
  • For my SIL, I got her some handmade soaps and a candle from a local crafter with a nice card. For my friend coming up, I'm probably going to get her a card and a gift card to McAlister's Deli because that is her favorite place in the entire world haha.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have two hostess and since its a Halloween themed baby shower I am going to do a Halloween themed gift basket deal with a mixture of things. With a nice note that says "Thank you ghouls for throwing a spooky good shower." I am corny like that though. 
  • TollerToller member
    edited August 2016
    I heard about this in my last BMB- but never in my RL...other than it being a really nice thing to do, is this custom more regional or ??

(Edited because numb hands struggle on a phone keyboard!)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I threw a baby shower for a friend and she got me and the other hostess each a potted plant.  
  • I've thrown 2 babyshowers this year alone, and several in the past. I've had a bunch of babyshowers thrown for me. No one that I know has given the hostess a gift, we usually just do it because we love em. It's a good friend thing to do. But there is nothing wrong with giving a small gift, some flowers and a thank you card? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I've been thinking about this as well.  I have 5 people that are all helping with my shower so I'm planning to do something small for each of them.  Love the homemade candle idea or even the potted plants.

Me: 39 DH: 36
    Married: Sept 2018
    DS: December 2016
    #2 EDD Feb 2020

BabyFruit Ticker

• I usually do some type of a gift card...nails, restaurant, etc. 
  • I didn't know it was a "thing" until I learned about it on the Knot while planning my first wedding. My mom hosted a shower for that wedding and when I was pregnant with my son, and I didn't do anything for her, but exSIL and my friends who hosted things, I got them small thank yous.

DH and I eloped days after getting engaged, so no one had time to do anything (part of why we eloped). I'm out of practice!

It may be a regional thing. Or a knot/bump thing :).  

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Probably a good fall-smelling candle.  Candles are my go to for hostess gifts.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• My mom and sisters are throwing my shower. For my sisters I'm getting them really cute matching shirts that say "Fancy Auntie." For my mom I'm thinking about a mani-pedi gift card or a gift basket with sweets and Bath & Bodyworks goodies. She'll love either one I know. Who knows, I may do both.
  • These are all good ideas. I didn't know this was a thing, but I think it's a really nice gesture. When I got married I made all my bridesmaids a gift basket as a thank you, and then I got something bigger for my maid of honor who also did all the things, including throw me a shower. 

I wasn't thinking of doing something for my shower throwers this time, but now I am definitely wanting to do so. A gift is s great way to show them how much I appreciate what they've one. Thankful for these ideas! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I gave hostesses for my showers with DS1 an Alex and Ani bangle. They are super nice but inexpensive bangles that have positive message saying with them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I gave my mom and mil one of those "willow" statue things you can get at hallmark    . They were little angels that said thank you. Or that was for the bridal shower and they got grandma ones for baby shower (or Christmas. I honest to god don't remember.)

November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I gave my friend a nice wooden cutting board with a quote about family and friends inscribed.  I got it off of Etsy.  They do custom orders for a reasonable price. 
  • Sugarfina gift boxes. They are gorgeous, unique and special. 
  • For my shower I got a cute Lush gift for my cousin and donated to my other cousins autism awareness walk, she was doing that same month. After hosting a baby shower for My SIL, she gave my aunt and I each $100 gift card to our favorite restaurant, which was overly generous! We ended up using it when we all went out to dinner together. 
  • Resurrecting an old thread to ask a similar question...

My hostesses (my mom and sister) are asking if it's appropriate to provide goodie bags for the people who attend the baby shower. I've only been to two baby showers in my life, and they were like 7 years ago, so I don't know! What say you, friends? 

• @ea301 - yes I think generally it's appropriate to give gift bags, although I'm not sure if it's necessary.  I haven't been to many showers recently but one had a candy bar and people could fill a bag.  If you're expecting mostly women, I've seen stuff in Pinterest that includes nail supplies.  Small plants are another idea.
  • My mom is hosting mine and she is doing centerpieces with bath loofas on sticks to look like flowers in a pot and then a little tag that says something like, "From Katie's shower to yours".  It is super adorable, easy, and affordable!  
  • @ea301 Our Halloween shower is going to have goodie bags with candy for our guests. We are expecting mostly guys though!

The last shower I went to a few weeks ago was just for ladies, and they gave us tiny Mason jars with manicure supplies in them. 
  • Yeah, I think some sort of "take home" is standard for showers. Most recently I've seen soaps or body scrubs in jars with messages similar to what the other ladies have said. I don't think it needs to be anything fancy.

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ea301ea301 member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks everyone! I love the shower supplies idea - something useful or edible is always ideal for me. I will let my hostesses know :)

Edited because thinking is hard.

• I have 2 showers coming up... one put on my friends (3 friends, although only 2 of their names are on the invite), and then my MIL/SIL's. I wasn't thinking of getting anything for either of them, as I never did that for bridal showers I had thrown for me... but now feel like I should with all of these fun ideas! I like the mani/pedi one the best, as that would go over very well - at least with the friend one.

I went to a shower where they gave away popcorn balls, since she was about to "pop".

I have thrown a couple friends showers and never got anything, which was totally OK. I guess if I don't do anything, they will get a thank you card with LOTS of thanks and maybe I'll put some sort of gift card inside for them... which may be easier. Coffee is always a good thing with at least 2 of the friends!

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• @kacie209. Now I NEED a popcorn ball. Where the heck do I even get that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • @ea301 I've seen it done both ways. I just threw a shower for a friend a few months ago and didn't do gift bags for everyone, but did do prizes for the people who won the games. 
  • ea301 said:
    Resurrecting an old thread to ask a similar question...

My hostesses (my mom and sister) are asking if it's appropriate to provide goodie bags for the people who attend the baby shower. I've only been to two baby showers in my life, and they were like 7 years ago, so I don't know! What say you, friends? 
    It's not required, but has been done at about 1/3 of the baby showers I've been to. Usually something affordable and useful. My last friend that did it had a duck themed shower, and gave out shower poufs with a sweet note attached. 

• And I 2nd @Kacie209, I've now thrown 2 babyshowers this year alone, and have not received or expected gifts for either. 

• For mine my mom is doing small goodie bags to thank guests for coming and small prizes for the few games we have planned. Nothing overly expensive but something cute! I also need to think about a hostess gift. There are three for the shower so I need to get crackin'!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Two of my coworkers hosted a shower for me tonight. It was so fun! A small group, over dinner and some very generous gifts that were opened at the end. For one coworker i put together a pedicure kit and for the other I got her 3 "fun size" body lotions from bath and body works. They loved them!

Pregnancy Ticker 

• In terms of favors, I haven't been to a shower (wedding or baby) that really did favors.  Usually just some chocolate or mints at each seat or something like that.  Most have done small prizes for games.

For hostess gifts, I'm always in the camp of it's not necessary but certainly a nice gesture.  I've hosted before and received simply a heartfelt thank you and that will certainly suffice.  For my bridal shower I had a lot of people help.  My bridesmaids ran it and did games while my mom and some of my "second moms" (I grew up with their daughters and they are second families to me) helped cook food.  My bridesmaids got a gift at the rehearsal dinner for everything they had done and for the moms that helped with food I wrote them a nice card with a gift card to a local restaurant.  For the baby shower my mom and the other two moms are hosting.  I plan to get them something really nice because I know they are spending a lot of time and effort.  I'm putting together a  bag of bath oil, a candle, and wine which I know will go over well with all of them.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
    So easy to make! Pop a bag of popcorn. In a pot melt like 2tbps butter and then add a jar of marshmallow fluff.  Stir until melted. Mix the marshmallow stuff unto the popcorn. Form into balls and let cool. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    So easy to make! Pop a bag of popcorn. In a pot melt like 2tbps butter and then add a jar of marshmallow fluff.  Stir until melted. Mix the marshmallow stuff unto the popcorn. Form into balls and let cool. 
    We add a box of jello for flavored popcorn balls.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• For my hostesses at my shower I gave each a cute umbrella with a note that said something along the lines of, "thanks for showering me with all your love, hope your next shower is just as great."
  • I sent both my BFFs Pinch Provisions, the miniergency kit for moms. They are both moms/expectant moms so I know they will find it useful. I love those kits, they have so much useful stuff for little emergencies and they are packaged small enough to fit in your purse/bag at all times.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016