April 2017 Moms

Any other Bookworms?

Any other bookworms?  what are you reading now?  Do You Love to read?  I am a huge reader.  I read anything and everything.  Last year I set a goal to get back to my pre-baby reading so I read 2 books a week.  It felt good.  I ended up reading a little more, so it was great to have a goal!  My favorite summer read was "Before the Fall" Noah Hawley...Any other good books you read lately? 

Re: Any other Bookworms?

• cookies754cookies754 member
    edited August 2016
    I am! I'm a teacher so I've been using the summer  to get caught up on my reading. I've been on a thriller kick lately. I loved the Gillian Flynn books and just got done reading The Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll. On the other side of things, I also love Emily Giffn books (Something Borrowed, etc.)

ETA: the bump cut me off. I just was going to saw holy cow @shoegirl1975 and two books a week. I thought I was a fast reader!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am! I'd much rather curl up and read a book than anything else. I read everything from mystery to romance. Right now I'm Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, technically it's a young adult book but one of my co workers suggested it. It's really good so far.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @cookies754 Have you read the Jeff Abbott books?? Sam Capra series?  really good!!! 
    @emox3232  Did you read " a Discovery of Witches?"
  • @shoegirl1975 I haven't! I'll check them out! Our library is fabulous. They have a drive thru pick up so I can just order the books online and then pick them up a day later. It's the best thing ever! Thanks for the recs!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cookies754 - Did you read Emily Giffin's new one? I live in Atlanta and felt like it was just an obnoxious ATL lovefest that wouldn't make sense to anyone outside of the area. I'm interested to know what others thought. 

@shoegirl1975 - My last BMB did a book club! By the end we were all not reading of course, but something that can take place of that is sharing a longer, thought-proviking article like the Ann Marie Slaughter "Why Women Still Can't Have it All": https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/07/why-women-still-cant-have-it-all/309020/

@catem07 - how is it? We lived in Michigan during the bankruptcy so I'd be curious to know if it's worth a read

I'm currently reading Melanie Benjamin's "The Aviator's Wife." I love a good historical fiction!!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Huge reader here, but too tired to really read. I'm currently on Code Name Verity. Highly recommended!
    DS born 9/13/2012
    BFP#5: 8/21/2016
  • @kcasset It seems decent so far. Some of the legalese and bankruptcy terminology is over my head, but I'm working through it. I'd like a little more human-interest but maybe it will get there. I think I'm in chapter 3 or 4 now. 

One of the best books I've read recently is Evicted by Matthew Desmond. If you're into social justice issues/sociology, highly recommend it. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Librarian by trade, so yes. :) Currently reading a book a friend ours wrote ("Vile" by Benjamin Jeffries), and then hitting up my to read pile that is slowly taking over my night stand. 
    Married: 10-2-2010
    Punk's birthday: 3-28-17
  • @shoegirl1975 I haven't read that one but I will have to check it out, I'm always looking for new suggestions! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @catem07  I love non-fiction and need to make more time for it.

My book club is doing "The Goldfinch" right now. It's massive. I am about halfway through (and the meeting is in a week - probably not going to finish in time!). Supposedly people either love or hate this one. I like the story so far, although the author (through characters that would otherwise not know or need to express certain things) comes across as a little pretentious.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @shoegirl1975 Two books a week is impressive!

@emox3232 I have read Miss Peregrines, and really liked it. It sucked me in! I can't wait for the movie by Tim Burton.

I'm reading "And The Mountains Echoed" by Kahaled Hosseini. I didn't really like it at first, but am really into it now. I listen to quite a few books on my drive to work, as I am a bit too tired to read once I get home.

• @bwo, I loved nightingale.

I am a big fan of historical fiction. A friend of mine recommend Letters to the Lost, so I started that the other day. I haven't gotten very far though. By the end of the day I am so exhausted that reading puts me to sleep.
  • @missa0830 it has sucked me in as well! I can't wait for the movie either, I love most of Tim Burtons movies!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love anything Karen Kingsbury. I'm a big fan of romance, mystery, and action/FBI type books. 
  • @bwo I loved loved loved The Nightingale! I really like that time period in historical fiction.
  • I love reading but haven't had much time for it lately. I'm just wrapping up the Lunar Chronicles (just book 4 left). It's really good, but it is YA which isn't for everyone.
  • I absolutely LOVE to read but am so beyond exhausted right now that I just can't and it makes me sad! The last book I read was "When Breath Becomes Air" - a memoir about a neurosurgeon that gets cancer. Amazing read!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mylittleirvz This is on my to-read list! I remember his essay in NYT before he died. Have you read Atul Gawande? He's my medical author crush.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Me!! Currently haven't been doing to much reading while in school but I'm off school from Jan to August and plan to do as much reading as I can before baby comes.

I'm currently reading My Secret Sister which is a true story about twins who were seperated at birth and reconnected in adulthood. So far very good and I hope to finish it in the week or so between this class ending and my next one beginning
  • @ladameperdue, no I haven't, I'll have to look him up! Thanks for the suggestion!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mee!! I'm a big reader. I mostly read fiction but I get in a couple of non-fiction books a year. Right now I am reading N is for Noose by Sue Grafton and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth because duh. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Can't wait to finish it! Also, I'm starting the Eragon Inhertance Cycle again. They are so good! 
  • I love to read!  I just finished my Master's degree in May, so reading for fun was on the back burner for like 5 years.

Right now I'm reading The Grave Series by Darynda Jones, currently on book #8.  Charley Davidson is the main character, she's a private investigator and also the grim reaper.  I started reading them a little over a month ago and literally haven't been able to put them down!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17

• Ekzerr said:
    Me!! Currently haven't been doing to much reading while in school but I'm off school from Jan to August and plan to do as much reading as I can before baby comes.
    I just finished school after going full time for 5 years, so I completely understand this statement.  I hope you get lots of good books in!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • I'm readin The Light Between Oceans right now.  Just finished The Nightingale. I loved it, but I cried. A lot.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @beckyf321 I have a large pile of books just waiting on my bookshelf!! 
  • I love to read but crazy work schedules and kids have made it hard. But now you all are getting me in the mood! 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Beckyf321 said:
    I love to read!  I just finished my Master's degree in May, so reading for fun was on the back burner for like 5 years.

Right now I'm reading The Grave Series by Darynda Jones, currently on book #8.  Charley Davidson is the main character, she's a private investigator and also the grim reaper.  I started reading them a little over a month ago and literally haven't been able to put them down!
    I'm with ya. I finished my Masters in 2015, and I'm slowly working my way through both my to read pile and my yarn stash (crocheter).
  • Anyone else on Goodreads? I swear that's the reason my to read pile is taller than I am (which wasn't hard to do). 
  • @BluesGal10  yes! love goodreads
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Another teacher here, spending the summer actually reading for pleasure! I'm currently reading Hidden Bodies, which is the sequel to You by Caroline Kepnes. It's a little dark, which I like. I also enjoyed The Luckiest Girl Alive. On deck is The Book Thief...I hope I have time to finish it before school starts back up. 
  • @BluesGal10    I love goodreads! 
  • all of this talk about goodreads has me looking into it...thanks for the idea ladies!
  • @bluesgal10 totally! I don't think I'll ever complete my goodreads " to read " list lol
  • Huge reader here, but too tired to really read. I'm currently on Code Name Verity. Highly recommended!
    @catem07  I love non-fiction and need to make more time for it.

My book club is doing "The Goldfinch" right now. It's massive. I am about halfway through (and the meeting is in a week - probably not going to finish in time!). Supposedly people either love or hate this one. I like the story so far, although the author (through characters that would otherwise not know or need to express certain things) comes across as a little pretentious.  
    @ArchyFlores I've been wanting to read that!

@ladameperdue my aunt said the same about that book, that you either love it or hate it. I don't think she liked it too much but it's on my list. Let me know what you think when you finish it! 

I love reading! I usually read a few books at once, depending on what I'm in the mood for. I've been reading Anna Karina for longer than I want to admit....I haven't picked it up in months it seems like. I'm also reading the 3rd Outlander book Voyager, and Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty. I like it so far, it's a bit slow and she keeps dancing around the main storyline but I think its going to be pretty good. 

BabyFruit Ticker

DS--N14
    Baby #2 EDD--4/16/17
  • @ashleym112 I loved Anna Karenia so much I tried to read War and Peace! 
    Pregnancy Ticker