Zika and Cabo~ Travel plans, help! — The Bump
2nd Trimester

Zika and Cabo~ Travel plans, help!

We are supposed to leave to Cabo on Sunday.  I know that Zika has been a big threat and it has been a worry but there's been a million other things on my mind and I'm just now getting to be very concerned about it since the trip is right around the corner.  (I know I should have thought of this sooner)  My husband doesn't care and does not want to cancel.  I spoke with my dr today who was very concerned and strongly urged not to go.  Although, there are zero cases of Zika in Cabo.  There are confirmed cases in all of Mexico but Cabo is on the peninsula and there's zero...  (And there are actually 90 where I live in Texas.)  Still, CDC says no to all of Mexico.  I want to follow Dr's orders and NOT go and it's not worth the risk, but my husband is unwilling to reschedule since there are zero cases there.  I'm worried my Dr may even drop me for not following advice.   Please any advice you can give as to what to do. This is my fourth child.  Even if I refuse to go and my husband goes- it is sexually transmitted so that means no sex until the baby comes. .. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Zika and Cabo~ Travel plans, help!

  • if your doctor is willing to drop you over your decision to go one would think a group
    of Internet strangers aren't the people to listen to. 

    and if he goes, use a condom. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Where in cabo are you going? I was there for my honeymoon a year ago and the area we were in had zero mosquito issues.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Your dr told you not to go. Don't go. YH will have to get over it.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Honestly if there are 0 confirmed cases there I would go. Wear bug spray constantly and you should be fine if there aren't any cases. 
  • In my world, Doctor and CDC trump the laity. Maybe you H needs to do a little more research on what Zika can do to babies. If you're thinking about your baby having that happen to them, it's horrifying. Just in terms of their quality of life. But even if he's only thinking about himself, the inconvenience of resheduling a vacation is nothing in comparison to caring for a child with such severe birth defects.
    Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • LecoolLecool member
    edited August 2016
    Your doctor and the CDC know more about the risk than your husband does. I get that there are no cases in Cabo, and that you would probably be fine – but that's a pretty big risk to take when you're being so strongly advised against it by a medical professional and the US government. 

    Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly I would tell my DH to shove it. You and the baby's health are so much more important than any trip you could ever take. And if your doctor is considering dropping you, I would take that as a major red flag. 
  • Even though there's 90 cases in Texas, none of those cases are locally spread, all are from travel or sexual transmission . Mexico has locally transmitted cases which is why there is travel restrictions there. It's not worth the risk. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had to make a similar difficult decision, albeit with more warning, to cancel our trip to Cabo in November. It's hard, but hopefully your husband will understand.
  • jomarma said:
    I had to make a similar difficult decision, albeit with more warning, to cancel our trip to Cabo in November. It's hard, but hopefully your husband will understand.
    This post was from last month. The OP has either already gone on her trip or not by now. Let's all stop reviving zombie threads?
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards