New girl and IVF newbie - hi! — The Bump
Infertility

New girl and IVF newbie - hi!

Hi ladies, long time lurker, first time poster here!  I have to thank you all for all I've learned from these boards so far and also for helping me feel less alone as all my "real-life" friends are blessed with excellent fertility and many have recently welcomed (or soon to welcome) their own perfect little ones.  So they sympathize but totally don't relate, and I don't like to talk about my struggles too much with them because I don't want them feeling sorry for me or feeling guilty that they have been so fortunate in that area.  I'm so happy for them but it sure feels lonely on this island sometimes!  A little about me, I'm 34, husband is 35, we've been married 3 years and on this IF journey since June 2015 - I was diagnosed with lean PCOS in November (I don't ovulate on my own at all) and have been riding the Clomid or Femara waves these past few months with 3 failed TI cycles and then 3 failed IUI cycles.  We are meeting with our doctor tomorrow for our IVF consultation - I'm a little nervous but also really hopeful.  I have had a rough go of it with the meds but just keep reminding myself that it's all going to be worth it one day!  So I'm anxious to get started with this next step.

I was wondering, for those ladies who have gone through IVF, are there questions you think are really important to ask the dr. or any you wish you had asked at the time but didn't?  Any suggestions you might have for an IVF newbie would be really appreciated - I already have a million questions but I'm sure there's so much I haven't thought of.  I've learned this infertility adventure has been sprinkled with surprises and unknowns at every turn!

Looking forward to joining in the discussions more often now that I've "gone public."  Thanks ladies!

Re: New girl and IVF newbie - hi!

• Welcome. I hope your stay here is short.

The one thing I wish I had been told before starting IVF was the likelihood of bad embryos with having PCOS. PCOS can reduce egg quality and therefore make bad embryos, but you wouldn't know it without doing PGS testing. I highly recommend it. Yes, it is a lot of money, but the heartbreak of miscarriages and failed cycles is worse, plus all the money you spend on those cycles. If we do another stim cycle we will get all of our embryos tested.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

wifeinraleigh28caseyw8784
  • Hi! I'm new too so I don't have advice or stories, just sending love your way!
    Jennifer
    Charlotte, NC
  • Loading the player...
  • edited August 2016
    Welcome to our community!  I just kind of want to echo what @AandDM2014 said about PGS testing.  It was from all that I had learned from these forums that made PGS testing mandatory in my book, and I didn't even consider NOT doing it when we started our IVF cycle.  In the year that I've been a member of this infertility forum, rarely have I seen BFNs, CPs, or miscarriages from PGS normal embryo transfers.  And results of PGS testing seem to be all over the map, regardless of age or diagnosis.  I've seen some ladies under 30 get poor PGS results and others 40+ get excellent PGS results.  You just never know.

Anyway, good luck with your upcoming IVF cycle!  Feel free to join us over in one of the IVF group threads :)
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 33, DH: 37 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! EDD 4/4/20
    caseyw8784
  • Thank you ladies, that's really helpful as my doctor said that with my age she actually would not recommend PGS testing.  Perhaps it's something we really want to consider.  I will ask my RE nurses as well but do you have a ballpark range for what it costs?  I'm sure it's different depending on where you are (lucky me, everything in NYC is extra expensive...) but just curious if you ladies can give a general sense for how many extra hundreds (or thousands) we should be putting aside.  Thanks again so so much!
  • @Esperer I think at my clinic in Beverly Hills it's about $4000. But each FET is about that price, so it would be worth it in my opinion.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• @Esperer I think i have the questions I had for my RE on my work computer if so ill post them
    Me: 34 DH: 43
    Married March 2012
    TTC #1 since 2012
    Dx: unexplained infertility (+ treated for hypothyroidism)
    May 7, 2016: IUI#1 w/Clomid - BFN :'(
    June 6, 2016: IUI #2 w/Clomid - BFN :'(
    IVF Consult 1 & 2: June 10, 2016 / July 15, 2016 
    Started Stims: July 15, 2016 (Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur)
    Trigger ----> 08/03 ----> ER on 08/05 ----> Transfer ------> 08/10
    BETA 1 (8/22) - 401  - BETA 2 (8/24) - 541 - BETA 3 (8/26) - 913
    Baby Chadwell's First U/S: 09/06/2016 / EDD: 04/28/2017
  • Here they are I edited them a bit

Clinics IVF success rates?

Difference between Fresh and Frozen Cycle

My projected procedure timeline?

1. What can change the timeline?

2. What will my Bloodwork / Ultrasound appointment schedule look like?

Was ICSI requested or will that be requested later? Or did you decide on not doing it? 

What Vitamins should I be taking? Anything other than the Prenatal?

DHEA?

CoQ10?

What IVF protocol are you following for my IVF cycle?

1. Why did you pick this specific protocol?

How long does it take for the egg to fertilize

Probability of a good fertilization

What is your transfer policy?

1. When will you CANCEL a cycle?

2. If my body cooperates, are twins possible?

Choice of male/female or both?

How does "Your Clinic"/YOUR nurses handle Embryo updates?

1. How often will we be update?

2. Online patient portal?

How should I deal with headaches (if I get them) b/c of my history with Migraines

1. Meds

2. Do I need to ask my neurologist for something?

3. What is safe to take

How often, if at all will my husband need to be available?

Would you suggest acupuncture? If so, how often

How much exercise can I do a week?

Diet? Anything I should avoid? 

It was A LOT and my husband kind of giggles BUT we left his office confident and with no questions :) 

Hope this helps 

Married March 2012
    TTC #1 since 2012
    bells52000tripledaggerWed95976
  • We did not opt for PGS testing because our Dr did not believe it was necessary.

However my clinic charges $6000 for the testing.  
    Married March 2012
    TTC #1 since 2012
  • We were charged $2000 from the lab, but another 1500-2000 from our dr for the ICSI and the biopsies.  If you have to do ICSI no matter what and your insurance doesn't cover it, at least you can take that part off the "extra" you would pay.  At 34 you may not want it for your first cycle.  I am not sure I would have done it for my first if I wasn't so old.  I don't have time to figure things out.

Good luck!  I think the list above is AMAZING and I wish I had that when I started.  I still don't think I know the answers to all those.  For me, I looked up their stats and compared with the local places.  I also cared a lot about scheduling.  I wanted an office who was flexible with me and my schedule (morning,weekends, evenings)...not a place who was going to make me fit their schedule and usher every woman they were treating through at the same exact time of the month.  Bloodwork on site mattered to me...do they do their retrievals and transfers at the same office or will you travel?
    Me: 41  DH: 44  DD: 9
    IVF: ER 7/16 40 follies, 23 eggs, 19 mature,
    12 fert w/icsi, 6 blasts, 3 PGS norm, 1 unknown.

FET: 9/1/16 transferred 1 CP beta 5.9
    FET 2: 11/15/16 transferred 1 CP again!
    FET 3: TBD

• Wow you ladies are the best!  @ADRIANAC1982 that list is really helpful, thank you!  You all have given me a lot to think about and consider.  @bells52000 my office does everything on site so at least that is helpful (feels like my second home by now, haha).

Thank you all so much for being so helpful and so welcoming!

• @Esperer No problem, everyone on here is so amazing its really comforting when you feel like no one around you would understand. 
    Married March 2012
    TTC #1 since 2012
  • Welcome to the boards! I'm new here also. I don't have any insight on IVF, i'm currently on my first IUI, but I just had to comment based on your introduction.

I couldn't stop laughing. It totally reminded me of "Mr. Obvious" segments from the Bob & Tom Radio show. 

FX on a short stay here!