September 2015 Moms
Options

Finger foods

Does anyone know when it's OK to give carrot sticks/celery? I know they're all ready at different rates but I was wondering if there was a guideline or something?I've given DD cucumber and tomato raw but I'm nervous about the tougher stuff, any stm's have any insight?

Re: Finger foods

• Options
    Little man is 11 months old and early intervention asked if he is eating carrot sticks so while I am not a STM I feel confident in saying carrot sticks are okay. No idea about celery but it would worry me because it's so stringy.. I'll be following this thread. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Options
    AmandaNacoraAmandaNacora member
    edited August 2016
    I was giving LO carrot sticks when she didn't have teeth, it helped with teething. Now that she has gotten her teeth I'm a little afraid. I do give her a lot of veggies raw. She really likes raw green beans and bell peppers strips. We give her a lot of fruit also. Right now she's super into mandarins, she cannot get enough! We don't cut it up, just peel it apart and give it to her as we would eat it. She's been eating these awhile and just got her first teeth 2 weeks ago so I'm sure if your LO has teeth it'll be okay.

Edit: I think celery would be okay if you de-string it and cut it into thin stricks. De-stringing is a little tedious but get's easier the more you do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm going nuts trying to keep this little bottomless pit fed! I had read that raw carrots were a choking hazard when they could bite off a chunk, I wasn't sure because she doesn't have molars but she has the first 4... I hadn't even thought about the stringiness, I was just worried about biting off a chunk but then not being able to chew it... I wanted to give them to her with peanut butter/ hummus... (Ok I'm craving that and want an excuse to buy it, lol)
  • Options
    mrsmctaggart6mrsmctaggart6 member
    edited August 2016
    Hahaha so cute! The face is priceless! Roo eats pretty much everything we do at this point, I was worried about the hard raw veggies but I think we're gonna go for it!she loves cucumbers and peppers, the carrots and celery were my last hold outs

eta strawberries are roo's favorite too
  • Options
    @mrsmctaggart16 just discovered tonight that sugar snap peas go down well too. Haha. They're naturally sweet, minus the sugar. 
    Ha! Strawberries seem to be a favourite. 

P.S I LOVE the 'Roo' 
  • Options
    With raw veggies I slice them very thinly, so they won't be choking hazards. LO eats carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, etc. I've let her gnaw on celery, but she wasn't able to eat much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys, I'll definitely try slicing thin, we've just been doing a lot of cucumbers for snacks cuz they decided to explode in the garden and DH is a weird one and doesn't like them, lol, Roo is a weird unintentional nickname for Rosalie, my friend started calling her rosa roo and the roo stuck, I like it thank goodness 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys, I'll definitely try slicing thin, we've just been doing a lot of cucumbers for snacks cuz they decided to explode in the garden and DH is a weird one and doesn't like them, lol, Roo is a weird unintentional nickname for Rosalie, my friend started calling her rosa roo and the roo stuck, I like it thank goodness 
    It's a boss name! 
  • Options
    Lol thanks I like to think so! I agonized over it because I hate my name with a passion...