January 2017 Moms

Round Ligament Pain anyone?

Mine started Tuesday evening as a mild period cramp type-feeling. By the end of the night, I was doubled over with cramps coming every few minutes, but no blood. 

Fearing for baby, I had an emergency appointment with my OB who had me tested for a bladder infection, which came back negative. So he said that it had to be round ligament pain. Which is completely normal.

So now, here it is, Sunday evening and I'm still experiencing this. I can only hope that this doesn't go on for too much longer. Please tell me I'm not the only one! Anyone else experiencing this? 
Me: 27, DH: 32
Together: 1/24/11
Married: 10/11/14
BFP: 4/26/2016
EDD: 1/4/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Round Ligament Pain anyone?

• Wow! I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. That does sound scary. My round ligament pain will double me over, but only for a minute, usually when I cough, sneeze, or stand suddenly. Hopefully you will find some relief!
  • Are you having any constipation issues? That could be making it worse, I've had some stomach pains but a bathroom trip helped clear it up. Aside from that it's been mainly when I sneeze, especially while laying down (baaaad idea, lol)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• Loading the player...
  • @Dinozaur Not really. I wish it were as easy as that! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @dinosaur That's a great point. I didn't even think of it but when my constipation got really out of control I had horrible gas pains that kept me up for hours. Could it be that @clichedemorgy?

• @clichedemorgy Are you being super active or does your job/daily life involve a lot of physical activity? I swept the floor today, and I had to lie down because I started cramping some from the bending over so much. Could it be your body needs to slow down? 
  • Back around 13 weeks I had to use the heavy duty mop at work for the first time in forever and that evening (about an hour after I got home) I legit though I was dying. I couldn't stand up straight or even sit back. It was the worse, I was bawling my eyes out...like ugly crying...cuz it hurt so bad. Considered going to er but it subsided with the heating pad. It was so awful! And now at almost 18 weeks I just experience the sharp stabby pains every once in a while 
  • I've only had cramps that bad when it was constipation. I know it was constipation bc I have IBS-C and have had these feelings before if I was dehydrated. Otherwise RLP goes away for me after a few seconds. Constipation pain just feels like really bad cramps, and can have me doubled over in pain. If this is the case, drinks lots of water and take a stool softener (OB gave me a list if approved ones). Miralax is amazing, but doesn't work as fast as some others. 
    If it's not constipation, hopefully it goes away soon and everything is ok! Our body is shifting so much around, who knows what half our pains are from.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • I had terrible cramping last week with gas. I was going to the bathroom fairly regularly but the gas was terrible and I felt awful. It subsided about 24 hours later with lots of water. My RLP is more quick sharp pains usually start when I stand up or lay down, I can switch positions or power through and they go away. I also am definitely sorer and more crampy feeling if I overdo it. Hope it starts to feel better.

Pregnancy Ticker

• OMG YES! I had horrific RLP this weekend and it freaked me out so much.  Just like you I checked for blood then went to doc who said it was normal and nothing to worry about.  But it certainly scares the crap out of you!  And hurts like a SOB!  I feel ya, lady! Stick in there.  I found that laying on my back w/ a l umbar pillow helped, but for the love of everything, don't twist - I went to roll over and that just made it WAY worse.
  • Thanks ladies. :) I'm going to try all the things. 

Cramps have lessened but they're still there. If they still persist through mid week, I'm going back to the doctor. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• My RLP kicked like crazy this weekend. My cramps are on both sides of the uterus as well as the top. From what I understand, if it's not in the lower center then you don't have anything to worry about (and even if it is, that doesn't mean something is wrong either)

But mine literally feels like my insides are being stretched out. It hurts so bad. And I definitely have a baby bump now. The litter bugger went into growth overdrive the last few days.... lol

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my first, I had severe rlp at 13 weeks. I had just traveled from Ireland to the us solo and was very dehydrated. The pain was unreal, I truly figured they were labor contractions. If it is rlp, I would chug 2 cups of Gatorade or water with 2 Tylenol. This concoction always helped. 
  • Try a maternity support belt. I got mine at motherhood maternity. It really helps. Also Tylenol helps!
  • @sweetyjenj I'm an IBS-C'er as well. I kind of feel like it's prepared me quite a bit for pregnancy :lol:

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• My RLP is non stop. With twins my uterus is just exploding every week- at 16 weeks I measured 24 and I don't even want to know what I measure right now at 18 because it's wayyyy bigger  :s

but mother of god the constipation pain.... I legit sat at my desk hunched over trying not to moan in pain for like 2 hours today, and it's still not gone. Owwwwwwwww!!!
  • @TinaBelcher the constipation with these twins is no joke! I have contiplated going to the hospital on 2 occasions! Stool softeners daily seem to be helping now! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok, I'm taking back everything I said before. Today these have been terrible. Ok when I'm sitting but when I stand up and try to walk anywhere I feel like I can't stand up straight and the pain is strong. Seriously, you think you've got something down and then your body has to go and change it all up.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Is that what it feels like? Period cramps? I started cramping a little today similar in pain/feeling to period cramps but no bleeding so if it's RLP that would ease my mine so much!
  • I experienced lightning crotch today. Good times...
    I feel RLP when I'm doing any kind of bending or twisting.
  • I had heard of RLP but didn't know what it was, now after reading this thread I can say that YES I have that.  It's weird sometimes it's just from moving too fast or a sneeze or cough.  It does feel kinda like a period cramp only the area feels stretched out- which I suppose it is.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @sherrera92 I imagine that these feel different for everyone. For me, I don't classify them as period type cramps but more aches and pains. The quick short ones that occur when I stand up or shift positions can be fairly intense and I'd say sharper than cramps. The ones that are a little more ongoing or come on randomly remind me of muscle aches after I worked out hard or tried something new and my muscles are sore. But that's me. One thing that I have learned this pregnancy is that there are so many variations of normal when it comes to pregnancy that it's really hard to truly have any sort of peace of mind. I had a list of symptoms for my doctor yesterday that are all in the realm of normal, and I was pretty sure they all were, but wanted to double check.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @clichedemorgy How are you feeling? Has your RLP returned? Are you still having it? What you described is very similar to what I've had all week. It is nearly constant pain going across the belly, belly button to pubic bone. It worsens when I eat and is often VERY sharp for 30-60 minutes at a time. I called my doc on Monday and had a urine test (negative for UTI) and had a quick exam. They also checked baby's HB. I did officially pop on Monday night though, so I'm pretty sure my body is just making room. I've had some bouts of relief over the last 24 hours bit it's still fairly bad after 5 days. 

I also have a very short torso. I barely have a centimeter between the bottom of my ribcage and my hip bone. My guess is that has to be a contributing factor to all this pain. Does anyone else with a short torso experience very bad RLP? 

For other expecting or STMs who have experienced RLP for days at a time, did anything give you relief? 

Thanks!
  • @rdh33 I haven't found anything works for me except rest.  On days when I'm having a lot of RLP I try to lie down and take it easy so I'm not adding more stress to the ligaments that are already being stressed by my uterus.  Some days finding time to lie down is near impossible so I move at an exaggerated slow pace when standing up, sitting down, turning, etc. to avoid that crippling sharp pain that happens when the ligament contracts too fast.

BabyFetus Ticker

• I don't think that they feel like period cramps at all.  I usually describe them as short sharp pains that come out of nowhere and disappear as quickly.  Example: sneezing tends to bring them on so I try to crouch down when I feel a sneeze coming on which looks very interesting in the middle of the grocery store aisle.  Just moving too quickly seems to cause them as well.  I haven't had them as bad this pregnancy.  
  • @sherrera92 they should NOT feel like period cramps. The pain should be to one side or both, but not in the center. With dd1 they felt period crampy, but I realized the difference after giving birth, the pain was lateral.  When I have RLP now I lay down and feel for my round ligaments. If they hurt when I press them, I am reassured that the pain is round ligament pain. My midwife did urge me to notice RLP if the pain gets intense and lasts a long time or starts coming at regular timeable intervals. 
  • My RLP does not go away on its own and it gets severe quickly...so severe that I can barely walk. The antidote for me is: 2 Tylenol, 1 cup or Gatorade, 1 cup of water, and lay down for 30 minutes. 
  • rdh33rdh33 member
    edited August 2016
    @colleenkevin Thanks for your feedback! Yes on the super slow exaggerated movements. That has also helped when I'm unable to lie down and rest. 

@ThePax89 / @ElleMF728 I know you weren't responding directly to me re: period cramps, but I did find your feedback useful, so...
    Mine don't feel like cramps but they are in the center (and right and left) and were constant for 3.5 days. I called my OB/CNM team on Monday about 5 hours after they started and they said it sounded like bad RLP but to come in for a urine test and check up. They said to not worry unless the pain was coupled with spotting, fever, or vomiting. Unfortunately, I'm out of state for work for two weeks (halfway though now) but went to Urgent Care at the local hosptial. The doc there also agreed it was RLP. (Extra sore on the edges of the uterus, tests normal, baby's HB normal) But... I am a bit confused and worried because all other sources (ie moms I know in real life and those here) have not experienced this bad or long-lasting of RLP.  

@ThePax89 I've had it that severe a few times. I haven't tried Gatorade but will give it a shot. Thanks! 

ETA: Updated diagnosis: kidney stones! Fun!