December 2016 Moms
Options

Tubes tied/vasectomy

2»

Re: Tubes tied/vasectomy

• Options
    @caffeinenut
    How do you bring it up with your FI? I'm pretty straight forward about most things, especially with DH, but I'd say "so, we both know we're one and done, how do you feel about taking permanent measures to be sure we keep it that way?" and see what he says.
    If you're at all interested in tubal ligation, I'd talk to your OB about it sooner rather than later. Not all will do it during the c-section, particularly if the c-section is emergency (and having had an emergency c-section in the past, I can say I definitely wasn't in the mindset to think of asking for that in the moment), so even if it is just a fact finding conversation, I'd recommend having it at your next appointment so you can really accurately weigh your options.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @tinattt23 I actually have thought about being a surrogate. I just don't think I could detach myself emotionally by the end. Instead I do a lot of milk donating around our home and for the human milk banking association out in Ohio. I have already off loaded 5,000 ounces and am finally down to my last 2,000+ ounces. 

@yellingbanana oh no! That's exactly why my OB said he didn't want me to proceed fixing if I was debating having another. However after DD2 my hernia got worse. With that we decided to give number three a try and if by DDs one year we had not conceived another viable pregnancy then I would move forward with seeing the surgeon. My OB said hat once the uterus is up above the belly button the risk factor will go down for a while. Until then I actually tape my belly button in with kinesiology tape  :D

Sorry for for the delay ladies. I wish the app gave notifications  :/

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We both agreed on the vasectomy. He was surprisingly not opposed to it at all. I think the thought of the possibility of having a second set of twins has scared us both into it. But we are waiting until after I give birth. Obviously the babies are healthy now, but I would hate to have him go through that, and have something happen that would make us want to try again. We might do it a month or so after their birth.
  • Options
    DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited August 2016
    @jennbaylor12 thank you!  I had my appt yesterday too and heard much of the same... Been meaning to come back to update this thread.  OB did say that they can 'try' at time of birth.  If the vessels look huge, and the uterus is still very big (likely in my case because - twins) they may not move forward.  

No change in recovey time.  Short amount of post delivery time and no change in how things are treated as far as skin to skin/nursing assuming babies are healthy.  She said that the evidence is tipping towards this being a huge reduction in cancer, but there's only been a study or two in a short follow up window - so it hasn't become to accepted standard of care, yet.  She did believe strongly in the benefits of tube removal but was cautious to say it's been absolutely proven.

There is a risk of more bleeding (especially if the vessels are large) removing the tubes than in a normal tubal.  For me - that's going to be a concern since I'm predisposed to serious medical conditions that make me loose blood in greater quantities for others.  My H had to sign paperwork last birth for transfusions so I am
     a little concerned about that - but that's pretty unique to people with blood/clotting issues or pre-e/HELLP.  

I think we're still going to talk to a Uroligist about H and then make a decision.  OB asked that I them know in 8 weeks.  

Pregnancy Ticker