Infertility

Partner prescribed antibiotic for one day at the start of my IVF injections

I just started my first (I hope, only) IVF cycle last night with an injection of lupron. This morning I was took gonal F and Lupron, and my husband was prescribed a single pill of azithromiacin. Can anyone tell me why he would be taking this antibiotic, and only for one day? Since the retrieval is not going to be for about 10 days, I can't figure out how taking one day of antibiotic now would help. It's the weekend, so I can't contact my IVF nurse. I don't think this qualifies as an emergency ;).

Re: Partner prescribed antibiotic for one day at the start of my IVF injections

• I haven't heard of this. My husband and I both took an entire round of antibiotics just before I started. They said it was to make sure we were both as healthy as we could be going into our cycle. Good luck with your cycle!
    Me (38) DH (40)

May 2010- TTC #1
    Aug 2010 - BFP
    5-2-11 - DS born. 
    July 2013 - TTC #2
    May 2015 - Discuss options with Gyn. Send for HSG. HSG shows lots possible scarring.
    June 2015 - referred to RE - diagnosed with PCOS and suggests laparoscopy and hysteroscopy for possible scarring. Insurance doesn't cover so we must wait until new insurance kicks in. 
    Sept. 2015 - Hysteroscopy and laparoscopy to remove many polyps and unfuse Fallopian tube from ovary. 
    Oct. 2015 - TI w/ clomid - BFN
    Nov. 2015 - TI w/ clomid - BFN
    Dec. 2015 - TI w/ clomid - BFN
    Jan. 2016 - IUI w/ clomid - BFN
    Feb. 2016 - IUI w/ clomid - BFN
    Mar. 2016 - IUI w/ clomid and ovidrel - BFN
    Apr. 2016 - IUI w/clomid - BFN
    May 2016  - decide to move on to IVF
    June 2016 - start  BCP, Lupron and Follistim - meds work a little too well estradiol level over 6000 on day 8 of stims
    July 5, 2016 - ER - retrieve 46 eggs, 42 are mature. 28 fertilize with ICSI, 26 on day 3, 16 on day 5 biopsied and frozen. PGS testing show that 8 are normal. 
    July 2016 - start FET #1 - estradiol and progesterone
    Aug. 8 - transfer 1 embryo - BFN. 
    Sept. 15 - transfer 1 embryo - BFP beta #1 86, beta #2 101 mc 5w5d
    October 28 - transfer 1 embryo - BFN
    December 19 - transfer 2 embryo - BFP beta #1 25, beta #2 20, beta #3 120 beta kept climbing, but no baby mc 8w3d
    Long needed break January - August (During the break we had ERA, recurrent loss blood work and saline sono.)  Hooray for receptivitiy!!!
    Sept. 6 - transfer 1 embryo - BFN
  • Hmm, that is weird. My DH also had to do 5 days worth of antibiotics before giving his IVF sample. I don't know why they'd just do one as I don't think that would do anything.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Loading the player...
  • My DH was giving a Z pack along with me at the start of our IVF cycle. They give so they don't have to wait for cervical cultures to come back and just treat you and partner as precaution. We both started two days before my hysterscopoy. This was is precaution for me as well as helpful to stop infection from procedure. 

Before egg egg retrieval I also started a zpack but DH didn't get anything. So it seems a little off to me. Id ask. It sounds like it's something specific to him. 
  • We are both supposed to have antibiotics before our transfers in order to treat/prevent any undiagnosed vaginal/pelvic infections. 
  • My dh had to take two pills a day for 5 or 6 days before er, I then had to take 2 pills a day for 3 days between my er and et. I also had to get a cervical culture done before I started stims. I don't remember what dh was on but it was pretty strong, we googled it after he filled the script and it was much stronger than we thought needed. 
  • DH & I were each prescribed a single 1000mg dose of azithromycin take on cd1 (four 250mg pills to take all at once).
    Me (31) & DH (31) - married 2008; TTC since 2013
    SA = normal; HSG = clear; history of DVT/PE
    Diagnosed with unexplained infertility
    IUI #1- April '16 - BFN 
    IUI #2 - May '16 - BFN
    IVF Fresh Xfer #1 (1 blastocyst) - Sept '16 - BFN
    FET #2 - 11/8/16 (2 blastocysts) - Beta on 11/18
    4 more blastocysts on ice
  • My husband has to take Cipro the day before ER. We were both given 1 large dose of antibiotics right before we did testing.
    Me (42) DH (46)
    Failed tubal reversal in 2011
    Borderline AMH, DOR
    (DH) Low motility
    Expected ER: 9/7/16

• Well, I'm at a loss ladies.  I was prescribed a z pack to start the day before my egg retrieval, but DH wasn't prescribed anything at all.  This is the first I've heard of husbands being prescribed antibiotics during IVF cycles...
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20