September 2016 Moms

Freezer Meal Recipes

KimmySchmidtKimmySchmidt member
edited July 2016 in September 2016 Moms
Anyone else planning on cooking up some freezer meals to
make life a little easier once baby comes?

I have never done the freezer meal thing. I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I'm eager to learn. Any tips or fantastic recipes?

(sorry if this is a duplicate thread from a bygone time. I figured it might be time for one now that people may actually start cooking anyway.)
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Freezer Meal Recipes

• Ooh, I'm definitely going to be following this one! I've done freezer meals before and have also attended a freezer meal party. In my opinion, a lot of the things are hit and miss but still worth doing some planning. I've long been a fan of buying ground beef in bulk, browning it, and freezing it in 1# bags. I also like to cook up pot roasts/chicken, shred the meat, and freeze those in meal sized portions. So many recipes are very quick and easy once the meat is already cooked and ready to add. So my plan is to make a list of quick meals that just need those proteins added and prep for those. That being said, I'm not really sure when I'll have the time to do that so we'll see what happens :)
  • ashtasht member
    I'm not doing freezer meals persay but what am doing is freezing stir fry packets. We get a Csa box every week so what I can I freeze for stir fry or for baby. I also buy beef half a beef every winter so will be stocked up on that as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • @OBMommy I didn't even think about freezing crockpot meals, such a great idea.

We never really did the freezer meal thing in the past but I may do a couple this go round. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I plan on doing about 2 weeks worth of freezer meals before baby arrives. I started last week with a chicken and smoked sausage jumbalaya in the crockpot. Problem is, my husband's stomach is an empty pit when it comes to crockpot food. He will literally eat 5 bowls in one sitting. I have to make stuff while he's at work and get it all cleaned up before he comes home if I want it to last  :# 
    I use gallon ziplock bags to store the meals. Just make sure the food is spread out in the bag and it will take up a lot less room in the freezer and lay flat. Label it and just stack them up! 
    Pinterest has so many great ideas and recipes for freezer meals. 
    Me: 26 DH: 33
    Married: 6/14/14
    TTC immediately
    BFP: 11/19/14 MC:12/3/14
    BFP:  2/27/15 Blighted Ovum: 4/10/15, D&C 4/13/15- Trisomy16
    BFP: 12/29/15 EDD: 9/15/16!!  Please be our miracle baby!

• drmh22drmh22 member
    Last time I made lasagna and froze it in single serve portions. I could get on out for lunch or we could get 2 out for dinner. Chili, sloppy joes, taco/fajita meat, and soups are also good to freeze. This time we live with my inlaws so baby will be person #7 in the house, so idk how much prep I'll really do.
  • Because we're going to be heading into fall, I'm going to make some big batches of a few of my favorite soup recipes - ham and 16 bean, sausage and white bean, chicken noodle, veggie barley. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm making some casseroles and a bunch of crockpot meals that I can quickly throw together.
    I'll post my recipes!

I'm also thinking about making some muffin sizes egg fritattas that I can grab out of the freezer and pop in the microwave for breakfast 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm usually just a throw it in the crock pot in the morning type cook, but I would be interested to see people's recipes! I will be lucky enough to have my mom help out the first couple weeks home so I am banking on her cooking. The only thing I ever really made in advance and froze was lasagna.  
    I'll steal some recipes if anyone has any to share!

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • I'm looking forward to recipes, I only have soup in mind. And muffins. I love freezing muffins for an easy breakfast, and DD will be able to eat them in the car when she starts preschool.
  • I made some honey oat muffins today and froz 1 1/2 doz of them. That's as far as I've made it. 

When we moved in to this house, I was really excited about the fridge on top freezer drawer on bottom setup that we have. But the freezer really isn't that great. There are two bins on either side and a pull out drawer above those that about 1/3 of which is the ice bin. Stacking things makes it hard to find and it's also hard to stack vertically without them tumbling over when drawer pulled. I have no idea how I'm going to put my milk stash in there. 

Any tips on this style freezer? 
  • ashtasht member
    jensou said:
    I made some honey oat muffins today and froz 1 1/2 doz of them. That's as far as I've made it. 

When we moved in to this house, I was really excited about the fridge on top freezer drawer on bottom setup that we have. But the freezer really isn't that great. There are two bins on either side and a pull out drawer above those that about 1/3 of which is the ice bin. Stacking things makes it hard to find and it's also hard to stack vertically without them tumbling over when drawer pulled. I have no idea how I'm going to put my milk stash in there. 

Any tips on this style freezer? 
    Any chance you have the ability to buy/store a small chest freezer? They have some that are fairly small and the milk would last longer. As for the kind you have maybe use the pull out drawer? 
  • I just bought some stuff at the grocery store to start this yesterday! I'm making paella, spaghetti and meatballs, red beans and rice, and some homemade spiced taco meat for taco salads this week. Would love some healthy meal ideas for next week's dishes!
  • I'm hoping to make up a few batches of muffins and a few meals.  Things we have really liked from frozen include lasagnas (frozen before baking) and bean/cheese burritos (frozen after baking for really quick minute zap in the microwave).  last time I made some stuffed shells/manicotti that we didn't end up caring for, so won't make that again.  Definitely considering whipping up some soups.. otherwise hoping to do a good amount of crock pot meals once baby gets here, and asked my mom to make up multiple mac and cheeses that she makes frozen to bake that are fantastic.

Also.. going to be open to the idea that we might eat a decent amount of frozen meals (stauffers, etc) and take out, and that's just life.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't think I'll be doing freezer meals, but wanted to share something I saw on FB yesterday. It was a post titled "20 Slow Cooker Freezer Meals in 4 Hours". Might be worth checking out. 

https://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2016/06/20-slow-cooker-freezer-meals-in-4-hours/

Hope that link works.
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• sarahg8rsarahg8r member
    edited August 2016
    I made about 6 casseroles last time, and we ate two before the breaker popped on our outside fridge and everything went bad! I was so upset!

This time, I'm planning to make...

- Pizza Casserole
    - Meatloaf
    - Chilli
    - Sheperd's Pie
    - Lasagna

Ill probably also do a couple soups and some breakfast items as well.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • Freezer meals are a staple in my world because there are a lot of nights that I get home from work and DH is at school and the thought of prepping dinner with children underfoot is just too much.  I always have several on hand - Usually I stock them by purposely making double batches of things.  Eat it fresh on the night I prep and freeze the extra batch for later.  Some favorites are:

- Soups of any kind...  chicken (cook the noodles the night you serve so they don't get starchy), vegetable beef, broccoli cheddar (sometimes with ham chunks - https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/broccoli-cheese-soup/), minstrone, pasta fagiole

- Chilis...  either basic beef/bean or this amazing crockpot chicken version - https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts/

- Cheeseburger casserole - https://www.skinnytaste.com/cheeseburger-casserole/

- Basic Italian stuff like baked ziti, lasagna, stuffed shells...  Then all I need is a salad to round it out.

You can also order frozen meals from www.schwans.com.  They have some TV dinner type options, but on the healthier end of the spectrum and the per person price works out to be really reasonable.  (These also make a great gift option for relatives at Christmas time if you're looking for that sort of thing. ;))

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• sarahg8r I've had this happen too, it made me sick how much food we had stored in our chest freezer in the garage and we lost it all. It was SO horrible.

From now till delivery, I am trying to make at least 1 thing to store per weekend. This weekend I made two quiches loosely based on this - https://allrecipes.com/recipe/50523/clarks-quiche/. We like to eat these occasionally for dinner, and I can throw in anything I have extra of - meat, veggies, etc.

I've pinned a bunch of recipes on Pinterest, and also want to make some cookies, muffins, etc. for snacking.

We are in the process of organizing our freezer to make it easier to find stuff. We bought crates and have one for bread, for raw meat, desserts, pre-made meals, etc. I am hopeful this will work because the freezer is a bottomless pit right now.

• @Flowr4246 - I had no idea Schwans still existed. I'm tempted to order just for nostalgic case.. my memere always used to order from there and whenever we'd visit she'd send us home with a big bag of the BEST chicken nuggets. Yummm!  Now that I'm a vegetarian I don't know if it's worth ordering from there...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AnnaS930 I actually just discovered them last year.  I have two older cousins who don't get out much so I ordered them a bunch of meals as a Christmas present.  From what i've seen in the (countless) catalogs they've sent me since I placed that order, they have a lot of veggie options.  Not necessarily all vegetarian meals, but loads of sides that you could double with stuff like the mac n cheese for a complete meal.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• mjpatzwamjpatzwa member
    edited August 2016
    Friend of mine said that what really helped her with each of her births was to actually prep the ingredients and freeze them--- cut up onions, cooking ground beef, cut up peppers, freezing herbs in olive oil, etc. She said that's really what takes the most time. And, stock the pantry with staples like beans, sauces, etc.

BUT here is one of my favorite crockpot/oven meals that I always give to neighbors (we have a rosemary bush in our backyard).

Rosemary Crockpot Chicken
    Combine four breasts of chicken, a 28 oz can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes, 1/4 cup balsamic, 3 TB Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, 3 TSP chopped garlic, and 3 sprigs of rosemary in a bag. Lay flat and freeze. You can either thaw it over night and cook at 350 for 40 minutes, or you can break it up and drop it in the crockpot on low for 6-ish hours. Serve over Quinoa in a bowl. (The juice from the tomatoes and balsamic is the sauce you get.) **Note, the crockpot version makes stringier chicken-- just a different texture- same flavor.

It is SO good, you guys!
  • Warning though: if you cut ip
    onions to freeze, for some reason, freezing increases the smell like 10x. I put like 6 bags in my deep freeze where my breast milk stash was and it made everything in that freezer taste like onions. I cried and cried thinking DD was never gojng to drink that milk, but she never noticed! 

I think there are ways to store them that will hold in the smell, just be aware a zip lock bag won't do it!!
  • RG1RG1 member
    @jensou I feel your pain about your freezer. It sounds exactly like the one at the bottom of our fridge. I don't really have any advice because we bought a stand up freezer a few months ago since we got so sick of cramming everything into the fridge freezer, since we freeze a lot of meat, beef tenderloin, etc. And I'm not about to give the advice, "go buy an $800 freezer!". But a cheaper chest freezer might work? $150?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • We got a stand up freezer last summer.  I decided I wanted to pay $350 for it, it was listed for like $650.  I called the nearest PC Richards (a chain in the greater NYC area) and spoke to a manager.  I said basically "look, I want a stand up freezer and I want to pay $350."  He said "will you take a floor model that has a scratch towards the back?"  I now have a great freezer.

Last year in anticipation of being pregnant and exhausted I cooked a whole bunch of meals and froze them.  DH did not love it.  This year I am taking whatever we don't use from our CSA and chopping it up and freezing it.  Then I know I have organic veggies for easy prep.

• Yes, I will say that a lot of the freezer recipes I've had are hit and miss and ended up getting thrown away. So, moral of the story, if I do prep some, I will definitely be doing more of the casserole style than the crock pot versions. I think the idea of just chopping/prepping/browning ingredients is a great one. 
  • @asht and @RG1 & @rebecca&Raphael thanks for the recommendations. I don't know if I'll be desperate enough to buy a chest freezer or where I'd put it. But good to know it's worked out for others. Thanks :) 
  • I would love to make some but our freezer is a black hole....we never eat stuff that I freeze and it gets freezer burned and thrown away! So I don't know what to do for after baby.....have a bunch of take out menus I guess. :#  
  • I love the pioneer woman :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ditto on loving the Pioneer Woman! 

Guys, DH and I made 25 meals yesterday morning and I have enough freezer type meals that require little work or just sauce added (like spaghetti that just needs noodles) for another 12 meals! 
  • Is anyone else relying on or hoping to rely on their community?  I feel like I create meal trains for everyone.  I would love someone to create one for me.
  • Realistically I don't think a ton of freezer meals will work for us, we just haven't loved them in the past, but I am hoping to meal plan a month at a time and I think that will help. Anyone else do this? Pointers?
  • So I've never cooked meals in advance and frozen. Hoping for some guidance from experienced meal planners.

1. We love chicken enchiladas but I'm concerned about the integrity of the stuffing (the red sauce, cheese, and chicken mixture). When I refrigerate the mixture it becomes "mushy" after a few days. Will it get mushy if frozen?
    2. We want to freeze tomato soup and not sure if it will taste good or the same when defrosted. The ingredients include food processed (pureed) onions, crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, and garlic.
    3. In general, do casseroles hold up pretty well?
    4. Is there any types of foods that aren't good for freezing or storage?
    5. How long will meals usually last in the freezer?

I'd hate to prep everything, put it in our tiny freezer, and plan on dinner only to have to find a back up. Knowing our luck a meal will bomb on a rough night when everyone is cranky. Tia!
    Me - 33  DH - 36
    DD 10/4/02
    DS due 9/28/16

BabyFetus Ticker
  • ajn092 I can't answer them all but here's a few:

1) For enchiladas, I make the enchilada part with stuffing and tortilla, and then put them in a gallon size freezer bag and freeze that. Then, I unfreeze and put sauce and cheese on top to cook. I've had them both ways and if you freeze with sauce they are more mushy.

2) No idea. Try it!

3) Yes, if you wrap well and eat promptly. If you wrap loosely and leave it in the freezer for a year, not going to be great (dry and covered in freezer burn). I vacuum seal everything I can, but if you don't have that a double tight wrap of foil possibly inside a Ziploc bag works for me.

4) If you google this, you'll find a ton of info. There are some foods that the texture of the food is changed when they are frozen (avocados).

5) Not certain, but we usually eat things within 6 months.

Good luck!

• @nativetexan512 thank you! 

Me - 33  DH - 36
    DD 10/4/02
    DS due 9/28/16

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I made chocolate chip zucchini muffins yesterday that are AMAZING. I'm considering making a second batch to freeze while zuc's are in season!

https://www.passionforsavings.com/chocolate-chip-zucchini-muffins-recipe/

These are SO good, also for those with toddlers/kiddos.. I got a very large zucchini into this recipe of 12 muffins with zero sign of anything but lots of ooey gooey chocolate in the end. Great way to sneak in some veggies!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wish my phone would let me upload pictures without crashing this app.... we froze 69 quarts of sweet corn this friday... started at 3:30 and ended at midnight (that's 500 ish ears of corn) my ankles and back were hurting this weekend, but it's so worth it to have a side dish so easily accessible 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker