December 2016 Moms
Options

Registry after first baby?

So I'm pregnant with my second, and most of the things I received for my firstborn was sold due to lack of storage space in my small townhouse. I'm having a second baby shower later this year to include my new family (I'm not longer with my sons father), but do I ask for the big items on my registry again -- swing, bouncer, etc -- or do I attempt to acquire then another way? 

Re: Registry after first baby?

• Options
    @MommaTake2, I have a registry with Lo #2, but only for things like girl clothes, more/new bottles and pacis.

I think it truly depends on your family, though. My family is very thrifty, while H's is more 'new is better'. So I like to find great deals.
    I would start looking around at yard sales, thrift/consignment stores, eBay, Craigslist, Facebook groups. That way you can most likely get the things you need, but not have to spend large amounts of money. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    You could always register for them to take advantage of the completion discount and still be on the lookout for those same things at garage sales/Facebook swap sites. I definitely wouldn't rule anything out, you never know if someone will get it for you off your registry or maybe it will go on sale and be really affordable with the completion discount.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sharkey Sharkey member
    edited July 2016
    I think it depends on your social circle. Some may not mind purchasing those larger items but I, personally, would start looking/buying them myself in that situation. You could always do a registry for the completion  discounts if you want to buy new. 
  • Options
    I personally would not share a registry for kid 2 unless specifically asked...but that's a different issue. My philosophy on my second kid registry is that I'm putting everything I need/want on it...but only my sister has asked about it. I plan to use the discount at the end, so if course I'd want that discount on everything.  

However if money is tight and you are acquiring things yourself, I'd look at second hand for the big stuff that is barely used. Lots of good quality stuff is available for super cheap.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    If someone has offered to throw a shower, I would just put whatever I want/need on the registry.  People can opt to attend or not, and spend whatever they want on whatever item they want to buy.  You can then use the completion discount to buy everything else or purchase it second hand or skip it depending upon what you still need.  

I am a FTM but still picking up items here and there if they are on sale and not waiting totally for the shower bc there is still plenty on my registry and I'd rather get a good deal than risk having to pay full price later if no one buys it.
  • Options
    I am in the camp that if someone is throwing you a shower, and circumstances have made it where you had to sell items to move or whatever, then I say go ahead and put them on the registry. It's a "new" family so I don't think it would be that big of a deal, and I'm sure they understand and would be more than happy to help.

It wouldn't bother me at all, but I also am not very keen on the etiquette surrounding most situations like this haha. I love parties. ;)
  • Options
    kbdukekbduke member
    edited July 2016
    For our situation, this is our first baby together but DH has a son from a previous marriage. I didn't feel comfortable having a shower since his family already did that with DH's first. So I created a registry more to have a checklist for myself of things I need to buy. A few people have asked about it and we have shared but we don't openly tell everyone we're registered.

That being said, I am always looking for deals and not counting on anyone buying anything for us. If they do, that's awesome but if not we won't be stuck later on buying everything at one time.

Edited because I can't spell
  • Options
    This is also my 2nd and I created a registry just to be organized. I also plan to take advantage of Babies R Us completion coupon.
    If people ask if I need anything then I'll direct them to the registry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is my 3rd, I have 2 girls and this one is a boy. So I am creating a registry with a few boy items and things I had sold from my other children. I'm also looking 2nd hand as well though. If I was having another girl, I would not be having a shower or a registry.
  • Options
    TollerToller member
    I am doing the registry for completion discount too but was just told that a friend of a friend ran into trouble because "not enough was purchased off her registry " at Target. Does anyone know of they changed something and this is now the case!?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Toller02 no one else bought anything off my target registry last time...I had no problem using the discount. Maybe it was a "personal problem", not a registry problem? 

Everyone knows half the reason people use registries is to get the discount themselves lol. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!