Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

First Pregnancy and MC looking for advice

Hey Ladies,

I recently went through a mmc on 6/24. Took cytotec pills at 10w but baby stopped developing at 8w hcg was last measured around 79,000. I am so confused about what is going on. My doctors did not schedule any tyoe of follow up and I had to try to make the appointment on my own. They would not set an appointment for me until 4 weeks after I took the pills. Then,at my appointment, I was told that there would be no ultrasound to check if everything passed and I was only allowed to have a blood test done because I demanded it. 

DH and I have not exactly been careful since the mc but I did not monitor my levels with tests because I thought I would get a proper follow up appointment. I started testing again 3 days before my appointment at 25 days after the pills and they have been consistently positive. Last night the test was darker than any other test that I have taken. My blood test result was 177. 

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. I'm not really sure if these are new hormones or leftover from the MC.

LMP was 4/12/16. Pills were taken on 6/24/16 and tests are still positive

If I'm in the wrong group, I apologize and could you point me to the right place?

Thanks

Re: First Pregnancy and MC looking for advice

• Hello, I am sorry for your loss.  It sounds like you may need to find a new doctor.  I agree with you that I would want an ultrasound and more bw in that situation.  When you have betas, the relevant thing is whether they are going up or down, so I would ask for another beta (I had them weekly post-loss) to see what's going on.  

I had a miscarriage at 11w (baby had stopped growing a week or two prior) and I had HCG in my system for quite some time, as it took a while for me to pass retained material.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Thank you, I'm sorry for your loss as well. I had asked for a redraw and was told that they would get all of the information necessary from my first one. So I am still feeling in the dark and thinking of going to the emergency room just to have another blood drawn.

Thanks for telling me your story, it lets me know that I'm not crazy in asking for what I have with my doctors.
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually went to the ER a few days after my d&c for pain, and they did an ultrasound & bloodwork, and ended up prescribing cytotec.  FWIW, I found the ER doctors to be really compassionate about the loss.  Obviously it's an expense to go.  Are there other doctors you could go to in your area?  Do you have a PCP that you trust?
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • I generally received primary care out of state but I am switching to the military base with tricare to have treatment from now on. The emergency room doctors were a lot better with me as well when I had a little bleeding a few weeks before the loss. That was why I was so keen on going there instead. 

I haven't made my mind up just yet about going especially since I am not actually feeling bad. I may just play the wait and see game. Thank you for all of your advice.