June 2016 Moms

Post vaccination side effects

First off this post is not a place to talk about whether or not to vaccinate.

Ok now that that is out of the way... My LO had his initial round of vaccinations today and became fussy about 3 hours afterwards and is now running a fever of 100.6.  i have given him Tylenol according to my pediatricians directions from today... Do you think it would be good to still call the pediatricians office about the fever if they already provided directions on how to treat it? I am going to check him again in about an hour to see if the Tylenol is working...

Re: Post vaccination side effects

• I have no advice but I'm going to follow this as my son gets his first round of vaccinations on August 1.  I'm a FTM and I'm sure I would call just to put my mind at ease.  Sending hugs to you and your LO.. I know this can't be easy for mommy or baby!  
  • Did they tell you a temp would be a normal reaction? Did they instruct at what temp to call or be concerned? Is that rectal temp? I know my pediatrician wants us to call for any rectal temp over 100 degrees but I don't know if that would differ knowing that you just got vaccinations.

If they have an on call number and the temp doesn't decrease from the Tylenol or increases I would call.
  • Loading the player...
  • They did say that a slight fever is a common reaction to the vaccines.  It is a rectal temperature and standard guidelines state that over 100.4 constitutes a fever.  He has settled down since we administered the first dose and finished his bottle calmly.  Gonna try and get some sleep before I bother the little one again, which would be like 20 minutes.
  • As a mom of 3, I would say keep an eye on it but I would not worry about it. The Tylenol and sleep should help, but I always say if something worries you there is no harm in calling.
  • I agree that if you're worried that's what the nurse line is for, I called it a lot with my first. I would also suggest massaging the spot or spots your LO got the shots it works best if you do right after get home but it might still help. My boys always got lumps their and if I massaged them it helps to reduce the lumps and they seems happier sooner. My 4 yr old was soooo upset with me this yr when he got his shots, he was mad for 3 days! 
  • ^^ I agree with the last two comments. I used to always give my first some Tylenol before we went for shots and it seemed to help with him. Who knows about this new guy though we have our first round coming up aug 1
    nws
  • This should be a FFFC, but since he was sleeping so soundly i completely missed my alarm to check him because I was OUT!
  • His fever is down under 100.4 at 100.2.  i am not giving more Tylenol at this point.  I will check him when he wakes up again.
  • Well just checked and he was back up again to 100.7.  gave him another dose and will call the doctor when they open around 8.  Post of me wonders if I should have given him more before but I don't like the idea of giving medicine just because.
  • Fevers are completely normal after vaccs. I would just give Tylenol when allowed and try to comfort. I wouldn't check on a sleeping baby, they will wake if uncomfortable. Not much a pediatrician can do, all normal reactions. 
  • edited July 2016
    Sorry this advice is too late for you but I always schedule shots Friday afternoon that way before baby gets fussy/fever DH is home and with me all weekend. Fever is normal and shots suck I'm dreading taking LO. 
  • Sorry this advice is too late for you but I always schedule shots Friday afternoon that way before baby gets fussy/fever DH is home and with me all weekend. Fever is normal and shots suck I'm dreading taking LO. 
    Oh it's too late but totally what I did!!  Bonus!!  :D

His fever has been good today after his Tylenol dose this morning.  We just had the blowout of the century... Probably from checking his temperature so many times!  Had to get a bath.  Still cute!!