September 2016 Moms

Moms who bump in the night

Re: Moms who bump in the night

• @yellowrose314 I'm picturing my dog when we got him and then picturing throwing a newborn in and cringing. My dog was 12 weeks old when we got him generally easy to train but there were still many sleepless nights that we had to deal with before he got used to his crate. He also destroyed countless socks and dish towels during his teething days. I love dogs but no to getting one while having a newborn.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ThscaryThscary member
    edited August 2016
    @yellowrose314 I wouldn't get a puppy this soon before baby. Especially a large breed dog. Large breed puppies are rambunctious and have a ton of energy. Its going to be very hard to have the energy to train and exercise a puppy that size with a newborn. 

ETA: I obviously haven't cared for a newborn yet, but have raised a German shepherd from a puppy and that was exhausting when I was 23 and child less haha
  • Loading the player...
  • @yellowrose314 And, a puppy will definitely eat the baby's toys. So there's that. Are you convinced yet?
  • My bag has three things in it too! But I'm still 7 weeks out.

@yellowrose314 NO AC?!  No way, no how.  I'd be like a rhino in a safari.
  • @yellowrose314  I guess if I had to pick a side I'd say no puppy, but ahhhhh that's a hard decision!!!! Maybe wait and find one after the baby is a little older....

• RG1RG1 member
    @yellowrose314 When we got our husky, we joked that it was good training for a baby because she would whine in the middle of the night bloody murder because she had to pee and we'd have to get up and let her out. And we had to take a week off work to house train her since we peed like every hour. There were lots of messes and chewed up baseboards and things that were so infuriating. I don't think I could go through that while caring for a newborn. But we are terrible because we are always on the lookout for another dog to adopt hahah
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Just me tonight? DD just woke up begging for milk. You're almost 2, you don't need milk in the middle of the night! But okay. 
  • I'm here! Yay! DH keeps trying to cuddle with me in his sleep. 1. Get off my pillows. 2. Stop. It only keeps me awake. 

I was always odd and loved motn feedings because everything is quiet and it's just you and baby. It's not so magical when there's no baby.
  • RG1RG1 member
    @Bibliobebe We totally did the, "this was a mistake" with our puppy too. You couldnt pet her without her trying to lick your freakin hands and she wouldn't ever lay still. Not what we envisioned in a dog. We considered giving her away because we regretted it so much. But now she's the best thing ever 
  • 2:30 am wake up from the kid who "needs covered". (Why can't she do it by herself?) Then three hours of pregsomnia. Going to be a fun day at work. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dude H is about to get smothered. His snoring is out of control 
  • @lovelylauren86, I highly recommend these earplugs!  DH is the world's loudest snorer and even though I resisted wearing earplugs at first (instead I encouraged him to get surgery), these things saved my sanity. 

• @lovelylauren86 Have you tried getting him one of those nightguard mouthguards for snoring? DH got one a few weeks ago and it's been blissssss. Of course now he complains that I snore, but I didn't prior to being pregnant, so he can deal. I've been dealing with his snoring for 7 godamn years, he can do his time now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @lovelylauren86 we use a combination of a white noise machine on my nightstand and nose strips for H, so I can still hear DD if she gets up it calls / wakes up crying. Not perfect, but I don't wake up grumpy at him every single night like in my first pregnancy. August is a b$&@ when it comes to swelling and other crappy symptoms, but at least the snoring isn't as bad as cold and allergy season. Turns out I'm still awake in the middle of the night anyway. :/
  • Ugh, man is this a club I hate being a member of.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tonight has been the first real night of me not being able to sleep,thank you leg cramps, indigestion, and a mattress on the floor since we are moving in less than 48 hours. Plus SO isn't used to me being up like this, so it makes him worry.. I hope that I won't become a frequent flyer on this one
  • @KimmySchmidt I adore you haha. That just made my early morning
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • PSUBecky23PSUBecky23 member
    edited August 2016
    Sorry, I was awake at 1:30 by pregsomnia, then just as I was about to fall back to sleep, my kid needed to be covered. Then she woke up at 5 for the day. Love these fun nights. 

Edit - I was candy crushing, instead of bumping. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone else with me here tonight? I actually fell asleep relatively quick, then DH came to bed at midnight and woke me. Haven't slept since.
  • I'd be moving the dog to the bathroom!
  • RG1RG1 member
    Gah - H is snoring! I actually have nightmares that hes going to keep the baby awake when hes in our room
  • RG1 said:
    Gah - H is snoring! I actually have nightmares that hes going to keep the baby awake when hes in our room
    Idk what we're going to do when baby is born, tbh. DH snores super loud but I'm sure baby is used to it in utero. I, however, wear earplugs or can't sleep. So I don't know how I'm going to get any sleep when DH and baby are out since I won't be able to wear my earplugs so I can hear baby.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm here, awake, bumping, haven't slept at all tonight. My head's killing me and I'm tired but, as usual, I just can't seem to fall asleep. Such loneliness...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @KimmySchmidt hope you're asleep now! Your rotisserie and starfish analogy had me trying not to snort out a laugh! 

Im awake. At a friends house in DC. My oldest had a college visit (yikes!!!) and we knew after walking around all day that I'd be too tired to drive the 4h home (add Friday afternoon DC traffic on to that). 

i was so tired I didn't eat much at dinner. And woke up at 4am starving. I know my friend wouldn't mind if I got into her kitchen pantry or fridge to find something but her floors are SO SQUEEKY! So I'm laying here trying to go back to sleep w rumbly stomach and little success. 
  • I'm also here....blaming the acid reflux.  Or, more accurately, the bowl of Fruit Loops that I ate at 9:00, that caused the acid reflux, that kept me up all night.  @jensou, I say go for it!  No one is going to blame a pregnant woman for pantry raiding!  
  • @mom2adoodle Welcome to motherhood! At least you have a reason for being up in the night, even if the reason is pumping. 
  • RG1RG1 member

@mom2adoodle Nice of you to pop in! I guess momsomnia is a thing too lol

@alwaysauntnevermom I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about that situation when baby comes. H has tried everything too (nose strips, mouth thing, steroid nasal spray from doctor) and nothing helps so he feels really bad :(

• I barely slept last night at all (so glad for Netflix) and had a rumbly tummy at 3 am like @jensou and ate a toasted jalapeno cheese bagel with grapefruit juice. In retrospect, it now sounds like an odd combo. 

Re: snoring, not only does my FI snore very loudly, he can sleep through nearly anything. I'm really hoping that having a baby helps to 'train' him to sleep more lightly. I fear him not waking / being able to aid me and I often sleep with earplugs. 
  • @geminigirl16 my experience was that DH did not immediately wake up any easier after DS arrived - I did though. It was a little frustrating at first because I didn't trust him to stay awake while sitting with DS if I woke him up after I fed the baby. Now he wakes up super easy though. I think it just takes guys a little longer to adjust sometimes. 
  • Sometimes they don't adjust. I still remember last year after DS2 came along my husband woke up one morning when DS2 was only a few weeks old and said "omg I can't believe he already slept through the night!" He got quite the death glare for that. Just because he didn't wake up didn't mean the baby didn't. In all fairness though he is very helpful at night but I have to wake him up to let him know when the baby wakes otherwise he doesn't stir.  We'll see if it's the same this time around.