April 2016 Moms

Breast feeding and solids

So I've Googled and Googled and can't come up with a good answer. I solely breast feed... and cannot figure out when is a good time to introduce other foods besides breast milk to my baby... I keep getting conflicting answers. And what type of foods is a? I plan to make my own but don't know where to start!!

Re: Breast feeding and solids

• I'm also in this same boat. My plan is to talk to the Ped at our 4 month appt. There is so much conflicting information out there regarding development & food allergies that I just don't know what to do. I have heard that avocado is a really great first food though & mixing in breast milk helps thin things out when mashing them up. But that's all the unhelpful info I have. :) 
  • I can't tell you what the right answer is but I can tell you what I did with my first 2 babies.

I waited til about 5-6 months and introduced foods very slowly, one at a time starting with veggies. I made some of my own but also did a lot of store bought purees. I always bought organic.

Neither of my girls have any food allergies or intolerance. So I plan to do the same with this baby. 

Oh and I also skipped the cereals. Didn't find them necessary. Just did a small amount of oatmeal here and there.
  • Loading the player...
  • They say 6 months of EBF. Unless you have a bigger baby (like I do)... And has trouble sleeping during the night. This only after 4 months. Avocado is usually the best first thing to try... Unless you want to do chemically rice cereal...
    But definitely talk to the pediatrician first!!
  • edited July 2016
    There is a book called Super Baby Food with lots of fun recipes. I've read that it depends on the baby. If your baby is showing interest and you feel they have lost the tongue thrust reflex and are ready, you can start as early as 4 months with mushed bananas in a food processor, avocado, banana, sweet potato... 

My baby ADORES eating time and I know that once he tries food, there will be no taking it away. So while I'm dying to have that first adorable tasting experience with him, I want to wait as long as possible (ideally 6 months). 

image.png 1002.6K
  • All 3 of mine were big, sitting well (assisted) and were grabbing at our food by 4 mos, so we started then. Bananas and avocado were easy things we had on hand to start with. I already steamed and puréed zucchini and summer squashes from our CSA for this baby. I followed Once A Month Mom's food lists by age. The latest research shows that early introduction of foods (4-6mos) is best in combatting food allergies (DH is an allergist). By 6 mos, we don't give purees anymore and follow baby led weaning, so whole and soft foods. They're usually eating the same meals as the rest of the family by 10 mos, regardless of how many teeth they have. FWIW, my kids are great eaters-eat a lot and will try anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is the method we plan to follow. LO is 16w's and is EBF right now, and is already down to 5-6 feedings a day. (He did that on his own, nothing I did) so once he has better control sitting up I plan on doing it this way. I also second skipping cereals as we eat mostly paleo anyway.

https://www.croque-maman.com/blog/french-baby-weaning-4-6-months-old/
  • LO is FF and will be 4 months old next week. We put him in his high chair this morning and let him taste puréed banana mixed with formula. I dont know if much of it was swallowed, but its more to get him used to a spoon right now. I let him hold the spoon and of course it went straight to his mouth, lol. I put a tiny bit on the tip of his tongue and he didnt push it back out. Mostly he looked confused and made a face. He sits up really well assisted and has great head control. He seems hungrier lately, asking for a bottle usually every 2.5 hours. We give him 5 oz in a bottle. His 4 month appt is coming up soon so I'll talk to the pedi about solids then. But for now, I want him to get used to being in a high chair and eating from a spoon. I figure it may be awhile before he is actually eating what I give him. Everything ive read says solids are recommended to start between 4-6 months, but breastmilk/formula will continue to be the main source of nutrition until they are a year old.

also, is it just me or does puréed meat sound disgusting??
  • loveymay said:

also, is it just me or does puréed meat sound disgusting??
    That's what ground beef/chicken/turkey/pork is. It sounds way better as ground than pureed. We do meatballs and shepherds pie at 6 mos. They're always a hit.
  • Decide what's best for your baby. We did BLW at 6 months with DS1 because that's when he started sitting up by himself. His first food was steamed zucchini. :)
  • We did baby led weaning with DD1 and will again with DD2. They say no solids until 6 months and sitting well unassisted (necessary for them to safely gag out food that is too big). We started with steamed/roasted veggies "fry/finger" shaped, and tried new things every couple of days until she could feed herself the same meals as the family. We won't do any "baby cereal" but oatmeal is a staple around here.
    kids with flags
  • I've heard anywhere between 6&4 months. I go by baby's lead. They should be able to sit up (or decently in a high chair) and no longer have the tongue thrust reflex. My first became interested a week or 2 shy of 6 months. Every baby is different when it comes to being ready. 
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic