Pregnant after IF

Gluten free or gluten fad- would love input from PCOS gals with BFP

I am so glad to see so many familiar usernames on this board! 

I am prepping for my FET 7/18. This is our last embryo. I have lean PCOS and am NOT insulin resistant (normal glucose tolerance test). I am 5"9" and 125 lbs (always have been, most I have every weighed was 130lbs). At this weight I am technically considered borderline low BMI.
Last transfer I stressed  out trying to eat "perfectly". My RE recommended cutting out carbs (even though I am not insulin resistant), my acupuncturist recommended no dairy or gluten. I lost nearly 6lbs in the 4 wks around my FET! 
I want to do what I can to maximize our chances, but I have been recently eating what I want and trying to gain weight. My acupuncturist was giving me a hard time about cutting out gluten again. I worry the 1) stress of trying to micromanage my meals and 2) potential weight loss  and 3) complete lack of evidence (no journal articles supporting benefit for gluten free diet  with PCOS) really don't warrant trying to cut out gluten...any girls with PCOS and their BFP have recommendations?

Thanks for you advice!
******TW*****
Me 39 DH44
Married 8/2/14
TTC 9/14
Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
MFI (low #, poor morphology)
IVF #1 9/15 Failed
IVF #2 12/15 Failed
1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17

Re: Gluten free or gluten fad- would love input from PCOS gals with BFP

• I don't have any recommendations but if you were able to get in touch with a dietician or nutritionist.. Cant remember which is the certified one.  I have PCOS,  but my numbers were fine and they didn't have me do anything with my diet. I just tried to eat better and have lots of protein and would do my best to stay really hydrated.  I would be worried about the stress trying to follow strict guidelines would be worse than not following a gluten free diet.   I don't know. Wishing you all the best with this FET.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you! 
  • I don't have PCOS but I was on the high end of normal for my blood sugar test, so I asked if I should reduce sugar/carbs. They said to be careful, but my doc did not want me trying to lose weight before my FET, and cutting out gluten/carbs if you don't need to due to blood sugar, celiac, or being overweight is a surefire way to lose weight. Not to mention the stress of micromanaging is really not good for you. Maybe keep them to a minimum and try to get complex carbs like brown rice and whole grains, but from my experience and the recommendations given to me, I would not go crazy with any diet change. Also, I have heard that full-fat dairy is a good "getting pregnant" item to have. Again, take it with a grain of salt.

Best of luck to you!!

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I cut out gluten and dairy before my IVF.  I also did a green smoothie cleanse.  I have plain old PCOS and was overweight and lost about 12 pounds on my cleanse right before IVF.  I think that decreasing inflammation is good for your body, however, if it stresses you out and makes you LOSE weight when you're already borderline, I don't think it's worth it.  Good luck! :)
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Hi there ! I have PCOS (not insulin resistant ) and I did not follow any strict diet prior to my FET and got my Bfp. I personally don't think it would be good to make a major diet change right before . If it was further out and they recommended it I think it would make more sense . But I would just focus on reducing stress and if making that change will stress you out why do it ? Especially since you are not overweight I'm wondering what the real benefit is . Just my opinion though ! Obviously I'm no expert ! Good luck with your transfer !!! 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Thanks ladies! I am just glad to know that others with PCOS did not restrict their diets, but still had success. I am going to focus on eating well and putting on weight  and remaining as stress free as I can during this whole process :smile:

******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
  • ZoeFerZoeFer member
    Hi @2legbaby, i also have PCOS and not insulin resistant. I have normal bmi. Before my BFP, i only stopped processed food and processed sugar like desserts etc. I have always known that my ovulation was messed up when i eat too much high carb and high sugar content food. Basicaly i was just trying to eat healthy. I totally agree with others about the strict diet strees.
    Best of luck and hope to hear your bfp soon in this forum 
  • I would definitely not stress over diet. I have PCOS (average weight and not insulin resistant either) and got my BFP naturally. I cut back on crappy food but made no drastic changes to my diet at all. I honestly conceived at a time where I had given up on a BFP naturally and we were looking at our other options so it was a huge surprise. Although I don't believe stress causes infertility I believe it does affect our health, so try not to stress about things like diet (especially when you sound healthy already). I say put your feet up and just enjoy the IVF process as much as you can and let your body do the rest!

• Chiming in late... and I don't have PCOS but I will say this: I did a crazy diet on the cycle in October where I got my first BFP. It was an auto-immune protocol so it was very restrictive. Unfortunately, it ended in a MMC. For my FET in May, I ate normal. I am a mostly healthy eater but have the occasional cheese burger and fries and desserts. I am currently 11w5d pregnant and so far everything is looking great. For me, the stress of such a restrictive diet was not worth it. And it seemed to not make a difference for me. There are a few things that I did cut out like alcohol and coffee but otherwise I ate normal. Good luck in your upcoming transfer!!!

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks ladies! I normally eat pretty healthy so I appreciate the feedback....I agree that stress definitely does bad things to the body and the less stress the better! Transfer is set for Monday so FX!
    Glad again to see all you ladies doing well in pregnancy :)
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
  • vssbrmvssbrm member
    I'm on a GF diet, but that is because I have Celiacs. Here is the thing, going GF and cutting out carbs, processed sugars etc are very different things. There are so many GF options out there now that you can eat as horrible as you want to while remaining GF. I think you are much safer to just eat smart and cut you sugars back and up you healthy protines, veggies and all that good stuff. It's just not worth the stress unless you HAVE to do it.
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012