June 2016 Moms

All things bottle feeding

Re: All things bottle feeding

• So Sam uses the small 0-3 month nipple on his bottles. It takes him about 30 minutes to drink his bottles. I started him on the enfamil ar formula on Friday, which is a little thicker. It's now taking him almost 40 minutes to drink his bottle. I tried the medium nipple today and he finished his bottle in 7 minutes, which seems really fast to me. I wish there was a size in between. Does anyone have any suggestions? 
  • Try the Lansinoh MOmma bottles. I swear it's the only one my dd would take, and we tried them all. She latches to it just like she would a breast without fighting, and the nipple is similar to what the beast looks like while nursing. Another option is the Breastflow bottle. It's our second choice only because there are more parts to clean. 

Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Cole takes bottles at his babysitters house.  We use Dr. Browns as well, and I too just moved him up to a level 2 nipple now that he is 3 months old.  I have found though that he prefers the wide neck bottle over the narrow.. have you tried the wide neck?

• Since week 11, Damien's been tryin to hold the bottle while I'm feeding him. He doesn't have the grip or coordination to do it by himself yet but I have a feeling he isn't far off. I'm kind of excited but also sad. It will be nice to hand him a bottle whenever he is hungry and let him go to town but sad because he won't need me to do it for him. 
  • Thanks so much for your replies everyone!  Sorry I didn't get back sooner to respond.  We ended up trying the avent bottle again and changed to a faster flow nipple and she took it right away. We tried the Dr. Browns again the next night with the slower flow nipple and she took it right away, too!  I have no idea why she had been refusing the bottle so consistently, but thank goodness she's gotten over this phase. We also bought a bottle warmer to warm the bottles more accurately, so maybe that has helped, too.  
  • @AmberLiz99 : Did your LO go back to finishing bottles after the cold went away? My LO has a cold and the day I noticed it was the day he stopped finishing all his bottles. 

Me - 33, DH - 33
    Married - May 2014
    DH - Low Count/Motility/Morph - Varicocele vein x 2 - surgery (8/11) - success!
    BFP - 10/10/15, EDD - 6/20/16 - It's a BOY!
    Baby #1 - 6/29/16 - Lucas Christopher, 10 lbs 3 oz, 22.25 inches
    Baby #2 - TTC May 2017
    BFP - 9/10/17, EDD - 5/26/18 - It's a GIRL! - RCS May 22nd

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @AmberLiz99 : Did your LO go back to finishing bottles after the cold went away? My LO has a cold and the day I noticed it was the day he stopped finishing all his bottles. 
    She did. It took about a week, but now she is draining 6oz bottles no problem. I can feel that she's gaining weight again too, so I'm relieved!

i hope your baby gets better soon! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Except during the night, Damien seems to just snack throughout the day. He will take a full bottle from time to time but I find I'm wasting formula by prepping a bottle each time he is hungry, only for him to have an ounce or so. I suppose I should start making smaller portions so that it isn't wasted as often.
  • Except during the night, Damien seems to just snack throughout the day. He will take a full bottle from time to time but I find I'm wasting formula by prepping a bottle each time he is hungry, only for him to have an ounce or so. I suppose I should start making smaller portions so that it isn't wasted as often.
    Savannah has just started "snacking" too. It's killing me! My nipples are so sore and I hate wasting BM if I give her a bottle.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

I've heard of BF moms freezing 2oz bags just for this purpose so I'd imagine you can do the same.  Start with 2 then make more if they want it.  It's better than wasting it.

I've heard of BF moms freezing 2oz bags just for this purpose so I'd imagine you can do the same.  Start with 2 then make more if they want it.  It's better than wasting it.
    That's what I'm going tomorrow and, as luck would have it, I still have a few 2oz BF bags in the freezer too. I also need to buy more bottles!
  • Damien spits up a lot...like all the time. He isn't in any pain or discomfort and it doesn't bother me that he does it but it drives my husband crazy. At his request, I picked up the Enfamil A+ Thickened formula today. We still have about half a carton of Good Start so I was going to gradually introduce the Enfamil as we got closer to finishing that one. My husband wanted to start the Enfamil right away, like now. I didn't think it was a good idea to start a different formula right before bedtime but hey, what do I know. Damien downed 6oz of it and whereas after 4oz of Good Start he would be all set to pass out, he is now still wide awake. After he drank the initial 4oz of Enfamil, I waited a bit before giving him more and then only gave him 2oz extra. He is still acting like he wants more but I'm hesitant to do so since this is a thickened formula and I don't want to overfeed him and make him sick. This was a bad idea to be sure, I should have gone with my instincts and waited. Fortunately, my husband made the same realization.

Anyone else using Enfamil A+ Thickened?
  • Follow-up: Damien seems to be doing fine with Enfamil A+ Thickened (granted it's only been a day) and I can see a difference in the frequency and volume of spit up. I was worried he might be constipated due to adjusting to a new formula but he put that to bed this morning with a massive blow-out soooo yay? I had to switch to Dr. Brown Level 2 nipples since the formula is too thick (in my opinion at least) for Level 1. I may pick up a couple of Level 3s just to see how those do. 
  • @vintagevix2016 : Does Damien seem to want to drink more, in general, on the Enfamil A+ Thickened? I think my LO has silent reflux and is currently on Enfamil Enspire (we had some free tubs) but still spits up and has vomited once. He doesn't seem to want to eat as much as he did a month ago when I switched from Enfamil Newborn to Infant. He really didn't seem to like the Infant formula so then we went to Enspire, which he drinks, but still doesn't drink as much as he did a month ago which is when the spit up started, I'm not sure if it's due to the reflux, but just thought I'd ask if he seems to want more of the Thickened! Thanks!

Me - 33, DH - 33
    Married - May 2014
    Baby #2 - TTC May 2017

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

• @AmberLiz99 : I think he had a bit of a cold but is still not eating as much (still gaining a bit) so we're going to the pedi this week for another weight check and to see if we should switch to another formula or try zantac. I highly suspect he has silent reflux and that seems to be when he started to consume less. I switched him to Enfamil Enspire and he's doing a little better so he may have also not liked the Enfamil Infant AT ALL, but still not consuming as much as he was when he was 2 months and doesn't seem as hungry either.

I'm glad your LO is better and eating more!! Feeding is so stressful.

Me - 33, DH - 33
    Married - May 2014
    Baby #2 - TTC May 2017

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

• My daughter has had a bad cold cold for the last two weeks. She hasn't been finishing bottles and has been sleeping a ton. Doc says it's normal. She just plum doesn't feel good. She will only take MAM bottles. I've tried Doc Brown's and she will take the entire nipple all the way to the plastic of the lid into her mouth and get frustrated. She likes the wide base of the MAM bottles and nothing else. I just switched her to a #2 also at 4 months old now.  We got a bottle warmer, even though all of my friends said it was pointless, and it works wonders putting her back to sleep at night. I don't have to rock her or anything. We use Similac and she has days where she spits up a lot then days where she spits up rarely. I've always been super concerned about over feeding her but at the checkups she's not gaining a ridiculous amount of weight so I assume she's okay :)
  • edited October 2016
    @BakerBird525 He does seem to drink more now that he is on Enfamil A+ Thickened. He went from just drinking 4oz to drinking 6oz. That said, he still sometimes only drinks 4oz so I'd say that while there is a difference in the amount that he drinks, it isn't by a huge margin. 
  • Unless it is a nighttime feeding or the first feedimg of the day, Damien won't finish a bottle in one sitting. He snacks throughout his awake time and, at times, I wonder if I'm mistaking his fussiness for hunger and forcing him to eat when he isn't. It's hard to tell because he is always trying to hold the bottle and, as a result, knocks it out. He also is always looking a million directions so I'm constantly trying to keep the bottle in his mouth. It doesn't matter if we're in a dark room either. Anyone else having this issue?
  • laurendiaz02laurendiaz02 member
    edited October 2016
    Unless it is a nighttime feeding or the first feedimg of the day, Damien won't finish a bottle in one sitting. He snacks throughout his awake time and, at times, I wonder if I'm mistaking his fussiness for hunger and forcing him to eat when he isn't. It's hard to tell because he is always trying to hold the bottle and, as a result, knocks it out. He also is always looking a million directions so I'm constantly trying to keep the bottle in his mouth. It doesn't matter if we're in a dark room either. Anyone else having this issue?
    Yes!  My son has been trying to hold the bottle and does exactly as you said, pushes it right out of his mouth!  And he's constantly moving his head all over so it keeps popping out. Lol. 

ETA: maybe time for us to get one of those things you put on the bottle so baby can "hold" it??
  • edited October 2016
    Unless it is a nighttime feeding or the first feedimg of the day, Damien won't finish a bottle in one sitting. He snacks throughout his awake time and, at times, I wonder if I'm mistaking his fussiness for hunger and forcing him to eat when he isn't. It's hard to tell because he is always trying to hold the bottle and, as a result, knocks it out. He also is always looking a million directions so I'm constantly trying to keep the bottle in his mouth. It doesn't matter if we're in a dark room either. Anyone else having this issue?
    Yes!  My son has been trying to hold the bottle and does exactly as you said, pushes it right out of his mouth!  And he's constantly moving his head all over so it keeps popping out. Lol. 

ETA: maybe time for us to get one of those things you put on the bottle so baby can "hold" it??
    I honestly hadn't thought of that mmmm, I did a Google search and there re tons of very different ones. Do you know of any specifics that are recommended? Not gonna lies, I'm a little hesitant simply because that will eventually be one less thing he will need me for  :'(

The Ba Baby Bottle Holder looks promising. 
  • Unless it is a nighttime feeding or the first feedimg of the day, Damien won't finish a bottle in one sitting. He snacks throughout his awake time and, at times, I wonder if I'm mistaking his fussiness for hunger and forcing him to eat when he isn't. It's hard to tell because he is always trying to hold the bottle and, as a result, knocks it out. He also is always looking a million directions so I'm constantly trying to keep the bottle in his mouth. It doesn't matter if we're in a dark room either. Anyone else having this issue?

I honestly hadn't thought of that mmmm, I did a Google search and there re tons of very different ones. Do you know of any specifics that are recommended? Not gonna lies, I'm a little hesitant simply because that will eventually be one less thing he will need me for  :'(

The Ba Baby Bottle Holder looks promising. 
    Hmm. Haven't researched too much. Just glanced at some last time I was at babies r us. I'll look up the holder you mentioned. Let me know if you get one!
  • My husband is all about not wasting formula, which I totally get...that stuff is expensive. Since I'm the one that usually prepares the bottles and feeds Damien, I'm the one that gets lectured when Damien only drinks 5 of the 6 oz in a bottle, for example. Well this morning, he decided to give him just 4oz and then add a bit more as needed. Not a bad idea...until I said, "Oh so you are just using a little bit at a time from a bottle in the fridge?" "Nope, made it fresh!" "Soooo one of these bottles will end up not being used today and have to be dumped?" He forgot that the bottles are only good for 24hrs and we have enough prepared bottles to cover all of his feedings for the day. Whoooops. 
  • Any baby's who have been on the same formula for a long time suddenly start spitting up and/or being constipated? I can't fingure it out. I could switch formula, but I don't know if that would help since she was having no problem with this one till recently. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Any baby's who have been on the same formula for a long time suddenly start spitting up and/or being constipated? I can't fingure it out. I could switch formula, but I don't know if that would help since she was having no problem with this one till recently. 
    I thought Damien was a little constipated when we started him on a new formula a couple of weeks ago for spitting up but he keeps having constipation mixed with days that are just fine. He also started spitting up the same as usual a few days ago. Not quite the same as your situation but I am surprised he has his good poo days and bad ones still. 
  • Is anyone having inadequate weight gain with their formula fed babies?
  • Yes. Sam is off the charts for length at 27.75in. But he's only in the 53rd for weight. He spits up a TON. My pediatrician put him in Zantac and we go back to get weighed again on Monday. 
  • That's crazy! Cam was 51st percentile for length but only 3% for weight. I feel bad because I thought he had been gaining great. He weighed 12 pounds today, I guess he felt heavy because that's what my twin girls weighed at a year : (. We aren't having spit up issues so I'm not sure what is going on yet. He had a couple colds recently so I'm not sure if that was part of it?
  • It could be. My friend's baby just got his first cold and she said the first thing she noticed was a change in eating habits. 
  • We had Damien's 6 month check-up today and were told that he is drinking way too much formula. I had a feeling that was the case since 49oz is a lot!! Somedays he actually drinks closer to 55oz. The ped said we need to start pushing the solids more and switch strategies to feeding him solids when he is hungry and give him the bottle afterwards.
  • edited January 2017
    For the past week, Damien won't drink unless he is sleepy. He fusses and cries during his awake time because he is hungry (I'm assuming), even after he has had his "meal" of puréed food. I've tried feeding him right after his nap and he just takes a few sips and pushes the bottle away. His front teeth have finished coming in so I don't think it's teething related, though I could be wrong. He isn't sick as far as I can tell and there is nothing different about the milk/bottle. He reqdhes for the bottle during his fussing too. I bounce between a #2 nipple and #3 and he doesn't want either one, unless it's right before a nap. Anyone have any ideas?
  • For the past week, Damien won't drink unless he is sleepy. He fusses and cries during his awake time because he is hungry (I'm assuming), even after he has had his "meal" of puréed food. I've tried feeding him right after his nap and he just takes a few sips and pushes the bottle away. His front teeth have finished coming in so I don't think it's teething related, though I could be wrong. He isn't sick as far as I can tell and there is nothing different about the milk/bottle. He reqdhes for the bottle during his fussing too. I bounce between a #2 nipple and #3 and he doesn't want either one, unless it's right before a nap. Anyone have any ideas?
    This is Charlotte she'll drink exactly 1 oz between sleep if she needs a bottle but only takes a 4-6 oz bottle before sleeping. It makes it really hard to get 24 oz in her. Has he used a sippy cup at all? You could try that, I need to find different cups for Charlotte and I'm hoping she'll drink more that way.
  • He'll drink 28-32oz a day, which I'm happy about, but only when he is sleepy. It's tough because I know he is hungry but he won't eat for whatever reason until just before naptime or bedtime. It makes for a rough awake period. 
  • My husband wants to switch Damien from Enfamil A+ Thickened (Enfamil AR) to something else. He doesn't think he should be drinking the thickened one anymore. I have the mindset of, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." My husband brings this up every so often and just won't let it go. I'm thinking we could try Enfamil A+ or A+ 2 and see how it goes. I guess I'm just paranoid that it will cause a disruption.
  • @vintagevix2016 I don't blame you for not wanting to switch. I would probably be of the same mindset - at this point he's not going to be drinking formula that much longer compared to how long it's been, so why not stick with what works. Has your ped said anything about it?
  • annaf2011 said:
    @vintagevix2016 I don't blame you for not wanting to switch. I would probably be of the same mindset - at this point he's not going to be drinking formula that much longer compared to how long it's been, so why not stick with what works. Has your ped said anything about it?
    He has an appointment on the 3rd so I plan to ask what her thoughts are on it. We have a few cans left of our current formula so that will last us until then. My husband is so fixated on the fact that his formula is thickened and thinks he is getting too stuffed. 
  • My husband wants to switch Damien from Enfamil A+ Thickened (Enfamil AR) to something else. He doesn't think he should be drinking the thickened one anymore. I have the mindset of, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." My husband brings this up every so often and just won't let it go. I'm thinking we could try Enfamil A+ or A+ 2 and see how it goes. I guess I'm just paranoid that it will cause a disruption.
    I probably wouldn't switch. That being said my kid vaccilates between enfamil and similac genarics depending on what the store has and has never had a problem.
  • edited March 2017
    Tawny87 said:
    My husband wants to switch Damien from Enfamil A+ Thickened (Enfamil AR) to something else. He doesn't think he should be drinking the thickened one anymore. I have the mindset of, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." My husband brings this up every so often and just won't let it go. I'm thinking we could try Enfamil A+ or A+ 2 and see how it goes. I guess I'm just paranoid that it will cause a disruption.
    I probably wouldn't switch. That being said my kid vaccilates between enfamil and similac genarics depending on what the store has and has never had a problem.
    I guess I'm most concerned about it impacting his sleep (he wakes once during the night sometimes or just STTN). Otherwise I don't think it will cause problems. If the ped says there's no point in switching, then he might leave it alone.
  • Sleep disruption is a terrible terrible thing! 
  • I know we talked about this somewhere but can't find where.

We are still handwashing and sterilizing all of our bottles and pump parts. It is driving me nuts!! I went to see a LC this weekend and she strongly encouraged me to use the dishwasher in order to restore my sanity.

I started using the dishwasher and there are so many water marks! The bottles don't look clean at all!!

Does anyone have any tips? I really want to save time but don't want to risk Savannah getting sick.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • edited March 2017
    I know we talked about this somewhere but can't find where.

We are still handwashing and sterilizing all of our bottles and pump parts. It is driving me nuts!! I went to see a LC this weekend and she strongly encouraged me to use the dishwasher in order to restore my sanity.

I started using the dishwasher and there are so many water marks! The bottles don't look clean at all!!

Does anyone have any tips? I really want to save time but don't want to risk Savannah getting sick.
    We have the Dr. Brown bottles and use the dishwasher for all of the parts and bottles. If I take everything out and set them up on our drying rack (Boon Grass with Twigs), then usually we don't get the water marks. I used to do the dry heat option on the dishwasher but stopped. This method seems to help dry them without marks. We've done both ways for awhile and Damien's been fine.