June 2016 Moms

Co-sleeping to nursery

We currently co-sleeping with DS in between us in bed.  We have like this co-sleeping baby bed.  Originally we were gonna have the pack n play in our room as a transition but it doesn't fit.  So when he time comes he's gonna go from in our bed to another room entirely.  He just turned 3 weeks, at what point would you feel comfortable having your LO in their own room for the night?  

Also, he does sleep in his room for naps during the day cause that's where our camera is and depending on the day he will sleep for an hour or two at a time if he sleeps at all. 

Re: Co-sleeping to nursery

• My plan is 6 months due to the reduced risk of SIDS and nursing.
    37 y/o
    Married 9/1/13
    Off OCP 3/1/14
    TTC 6/1/14
    DX Endometriosis in 2002
    Laparoscopy 2002 and 2007
    HSG 8/2014, right tube partially blocked
    1st BFP 1/5/15 EDD 9/12/15- miscarried 1/8/15
    BFP 10/5/15 EDD 6/17/16- delivered healthy girl 6/18/16
    BFP 8/4/16 EDD 3/2/18- trisomy 18 girl- no heartbeat 8/25/17 at 13 weeks d&c 8/28/17
    BFP 12/4/17 EDD 8/19/18

• All of my kids have gone straight to their own room and the crib when we came home from the hospital. I have a good monitor, and I've never felt they were to small to sleep alone. They have all been great about sleeping in the crib because we never had to transition. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My plan is to transition when I go back to work, so that I can actually get some sleep. We did the same with my first and it worked out.
  • I plan on waiting until at least 4 months due to SIDS risk but right now we are both sleeping in the nursery. She hasn't been liking her pnp, rnp, or cradle and is waking up too much in the night. So while I'm off work and husband is working she and I sleep in the nursery, her in her crib and me in the spare bed or the recliner. As she starts to sleep better in the night and on the weekends we will be in our bedroom with husband. Although husband was also sleeping in the nursery with us the first two weeks. Flexible to just about any plan. For my piece of mind I need to be able to see her and see her breathing at any point in the night. And I like to feed her before she gets too worked up so sleeping close works for us for now.
  • He doesn't wake up too much at night but idk of that's because we are right there or if he doesn't like the crib.  Some days he'll take nice long two hour naps in the crib and other days, like today, he will fuss every 10 min and need to be soothed.  The only thing I can think to do is at bedtime just try a night in his room and see how often I end up getting up and going in there.  He just makes so much noise in his sleep that I sometimes have to muffle with the pacifier, I feel like I'm up longer because of it and I miss cuddling with DH.  I'm just kinda torn.
  • I agree. I miss snuggling my husband. And she does the same thing. Lots of noises while sleeping. I'm just going to try to pick times that it will disrupt the least before making changes. So this weekend I don't care how often she wakes up, we are sleeping in our bedroom and she will be in the pnp next to us!
  • Our son has been in his room from the day we brought him home. It's definitely harder and not as convenient as having him right there in the bed/room but it's doable! We have a great monitor in his room but yes we get up a lot!  I'm a FTM so I constantly worry so I feel like I don't sleep because I'm constantly checking the monitor!  He naps downstairs in our living room in a pack-n-play (we have an additional camera downstairs so we watch it on the iPad if we go into another room). 
  • We moved our LO at 3 weeks because of all the grunting and extra noise she was making in her sleep. I do hate getting out of bed but feel like my sleep has improved. I have her in the playroom right now because her room is upstairs and I wasn't ready for that. Also using a video monitor helps me know ill hear her the second she cries. 
  • arteduc8arteduc8 member
    edited July 2016
    I was just wondering the same thing this morning. DD will be a month old on Monday. We've had her sleeping in the pack n play in our room so far. She's usually quiet when she's sleeping and only wakes us when it's time to nurse or get changed(every 2-3 hours). But last night she was grunting for hours, presumably from gas. DH gave her a bottle last night for the first time, so we're thinking that might have something to do with it. But neither of us slept well through the grunting. We're planning to continue to have DH give her a pumped bottle every night to give us each breaks, but if she keeps up with the gassy grunts, I don't know how long we can keep her in the room. DH and I are completely sleep deprived, and haven't gotten more than 2.5 hours of sleep at a time. So I guess I don't have anything to offer as far as advice, just empathy as I'm dealing with the same thing. Following this thread for sure! 
  • My fist LO grunted so loud for his first 3 months we called him a little baby warthog. I was too paranoid to move him but second kid already got the boot lol.