October 2016 Moms

UO Thursday (6/30/16)

13»

Re: UO Thursday (6/30/16)

• @bnsmith85 agreed! Haha while I may not change my opinion I definitely don't need to demand someone else agree! And I do agree that there are a lot more factors then just your name that go into defining you (I just think it's an important one). Nature and nurture sure do have there impact!! 

• I have changed my name. I went by my middle name when I was a little kid and decided I didn't like it so I switched to my first name in middle school. I don't think it's necessarily changed anything about me, it was just my preference. I think it's all about your personality that makes you who you are, which I don't think is shaped by your name at all. I feel like tv and movies can give a character's name a certain type of personality/stereotype. 

Kind of on the same note, our baby is going by a nickname that is not a part of his name. DH had so many of the same name on that side, I really didn't want him to go by his first name, nor any nicknames that go with it. I didn't want the confusion of Big Bob and Little Bob at family events. (Example only. His name was never going to be Bob.) The nickname we picked isn't traditional for the first name, but it does flow pretty well and it's after my grandfather who has gone by the same nickname his entire life. People have had very positive reactions to our name story and I hope our little boy takes pride in both his legal name and his nickname as there is so much family history on both sides for each name. It may not be for everyone, but using a nickname in this case ended up being the best name compromise with DH to make us both happy. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • @allythekid that thought crossed my mind too, but I agree with @rainmira9e and @copperboom86.

I already lost what I was trying to say but I remembered I agreed with everything you guys said. preggo brain is on overdrive today. why am I at work?

• @AllyTheKid I think it's important to trust your instincts.  Too many people are too quick to dismiss those red flags.
  • Hmm, the thought of her being a catfish didn't cross my mind at all, but I can see where you're coming from with your points. 

***********************TW***********************
    My loss was a late term loss as well, and while we are agnostic/athiest (so there was no god or religion talk), when we informed our friends and family our attitude seemed very positive. As sadly, many of you know, it's hard to give that kind of news to people. For me, I just wanted to rip the bandaid off, but I didn't want people's pity. What happened ripped my heart to pieces, but I knew eventually there would be a "light at the end of the tunnel" and keeping positive was the only way for me to get through it. So I can understand her tone.

It's funny, I usually get a little fired up when people bring religion into things, but in that post it didn't touch a nerve. 

@amye102485 I've been thinking about you as well! I didn't want to post or ask how you've been doing on the other thread, especially after her news, but I hope you are doing well!
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • @amye102485  glad to hear you're back home and baby is staying put! I'm sure bed rest is a drag, but hang in there! 

Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • @maf9866 - I'm not saying a name isn't or can't be important. But it's certainly not the most important or even one of the most important things about a person- unless that person decides to make it so. It's the oldest cliché- a rose by any other name etc.

I also think a lot of people tend to name their child names that are trendy during the time they are born, which takes away a lot of that special snowflake factor away. This being why you could find Amy A., Amy F., Amy H., etc in basically every classroom in the US in the 90's/2000's. Same with Jeff, Chris, Jessica, Ashley....and so on. And so it will always be. 

I would just really hate for someone to think my name was the most important thing about me. 
  • Just noticed an update to that thread, now I feel funny. I'm leaving that alone now.
  • Since there's lots of animal talk today: I think pets should have human names. I don't like obvious pet names like Fluffy or Fido. We named our bulldog George and I find it hysterical. I really want a German Shepherd so I can name him something very German-sounding. 

Edited because I hit post before I was ready!
    We've got the whole Peanuts gang at our house!

Charlie, Lucy, Marcy, and Sally

Had a neighbor ins Germany with a Shepherd.  His name was Heinrich

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker