December 2016 Moms

UO - 6.30

2»

Re: UO - 6.30

• @SarahF8611 - I guess I get it in some cases.  Let's say you name your child Jonathan and want to call him Jonny.  Jonny is cool for 10 years, maybe 15 years.  It's not cool as a 35 year old professional.  I think people who do this want to call their kid one thing as a young child, then give them the option to have a more 'adult' name later in life?  

I agree with a PP though - some southerners giver their kids nicknames that aren't even close to their birth name.  Very weird.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @mimi603107 - I hate doing it too, but this is my last PG and while we think there's little weekly change, we're changing signifigantly.  I don't want to miss it since i'm not doing this shit again!! 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Loading the player...
  • My MIL agrees with all you nickname haters and it used to bother her that I called DH Nick instead of Nicholas, but that is what he introduced himself to me as long ago.  We like both the name and the nickname for the name we picked and plan to call her by the diminutive nickname until she is older. I'm a huge fan of nicknames in general, but I think its 'cause there isn't really a nickname for my name. 

My UO is that I HATE chicken (unless its fried). 8 times in 10 its too dry for me. 
    EQD born 12/15!

• I hated not have a good nickname when I was growing up.  I usually call people by their full name unless it's just really cumbersome. I think nicknames should be earned.  I gave the death stare to anyone that tried to call my kids short versions (Ally, Izzy) of their real names.  they have nicknames alright, but they suite them- Isabel is belly (due to the huge belly she had as a baby), or cakes, or babes.  Allison is pants because she refuses to wear pants (skirts and dresses only). 
    now with this all being said, we are considering calling LO a short version of what we want to name her, and it doesn't bother me at all this time. 
    i think it's what the baby wants ;)
  • @zubenescamali My nicknames were Catfish and Weasel Cheese.

Catfish because I liked to suck on the carpet as a baby (yes, that's why I'm so smart!) And Weasel Cheese?

Uhhh......???
  • DiFazette said:
    UO. I hate Alex Trebek on Jeoprady. He's such a condescending dick. YOU KNOW THE ANSWERS BECAUSE THEY ARE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!!! Stop acting superior. 
    This gave me a good chuckle.  When I get behind someone on the show and he gets condescending I might be known to yell 'suck it Trebek'.  
    Still one of my favorite SNL skits! 
    Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• My Mom was a big no nickname person, at least for my brother. He's now 27 and goes by Mike and not Michael. But our family only calls him Michael.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • beff12beff12 member
    Everyone in my family, myself included, was given a name and a nickname - I'm Elizabeth and called Beth. DD is Abigail and called Abby. Haha I guess it's normal for us! I definitely understand why it's weird. If Abby grows up and decided to be called Abigail it'll be no big deal. 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• I loved being able to have a shortened name. I absolutely loathe Kathrine. It was picked so it could look good on a plaque outside of my office. It just doesn't fit, so I go by Kate. I did have other nicknames that were odd: chuck, goober, runt. I think nn helps kids to figure out how to make their name fit them.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @dmontgo @DiFazette and @sammyl1221 "I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier"

OMG I forgot I love these so much. You guys have inspired me to look them up and I realized that there was one I hadn't seen from like last year with someone playing Justin Beiber that I had never seen-and Bieber is pretty hilarious.

I don't have a UO I just wanted to talk about celebrity jeopardy. Unless its an (a?) UO that I can't find them on You Tube anymore because NBC sucks and like, hardly ever lets clips of their shows stay up there anymore and you have to go to Hulu or something to find them.
  • @SmashJam hahaha I decided to watch them again and noticed the same thing. They are only on NBC! I watched the one with Justin Beiber too...."I'll take whore ads for $200 Trebek!" 
    Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• I had your typical nickname for my name, Mandy. DH and his sisters call me Manda. My other nicknames were Mousey (because I squeaked as a baby) and my dad calls me George. I have no clue why, he claims it is because George Washington who could not tell a lie. Dunno about that...
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I always resented having a name that couldn't turn into a nickname. Curse you nickname haters. 
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • I have a long name with plenty of nickname options. I liked it. I could pick which one I preferred as I grew up (it changed a few times). And I'm still called different things by different groups of people. Some name related, some random. 

I think the most random is Taun Taun. Like the thing is Star Wars they cut open and sleep in. We're considering Luke as a possible boy name. Didn't even dawn on me until my friend pointed out that Luke would be inside Taun Taun. She loved it. 
  • @PensiveCrayon I enjoy the full panels more than the other types of panels/support. And yes, they should be for everyone... it's like shapewear to smooth stuff out!

Alright, so I sound like I am a nickname hater... just seems weird or the VERY extreme ones (like the one I mentioned where she was named Mercedes and goes by Mimi, makes no sense to me). If an Angela wants to be called Angie, that's cool. I actually had a friend named Angela who hated being called Angie. Or a Jennifer, who would rather go by Jenny and hated when you called her Jennifer. No hate here!

I also have a name that doesn't get a nickname, or can be shortened really. Some people call me Kac, Kace... depending on how they spell it. That's how as short as it can get.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• I don't even care about the pregnancy jeans honestly, I paid good money for them and they are so comfy, I will wear them forever. Don't try to stop me. 
  • To weigh in on the nickname debate, H and I lived in India our first year of marriage. There, they have something called "daknams", which is the name you call your kid at home. Our friend Rachel, for example, is called only Kuku at home. So we're going to do something like that with our kid. If it's a girl, Jutte (the German name for Judith) will turn into Jude, and if it's a boy, Ambrose will turn into Ash (the kid's initials). H wants this to be a home-only thing, but honestly, I don't care if it catches on outside the home. Especially with Jutte -- that name was a compromise! If I had it my way, she would be straight-up Judith, but H doesn't like that name at all. Just the Biblical figure :)
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • I argue the full panel jeans thing. I can't stand them! Maybe I'll like them once my bump grows huge but right now it just feels like I'm be smothered. And being short, some of them come up further than my bra band. I fold those things down two or three times. Then again, I am pretty claustrophobic...
  • kbdukekbduke member
    I dislike naming a child a name and going exclusively by a nickname as well. But to each their own.

The one nn I hate is Evie. It reminds me of Little Edie from Grey Gardens.
  • kbduke said:
    I dislike naming a child a name and going exclusively by a nickname as well. But to each their own.

The one nn I hate is Evie. It reminds me of Little Edie from Grey Gardens.
    If we have anothee girl it will be Evelyn...nickname Evie.

DD's name is Kaelyn and she is called either Kae or KK. But she's starting to also call herself by her full name. Sometimes she says her name is KK and other times its Kaelyn. I guess it depends on her mood...she's 2 lol. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I went big last week so I don't have anything much. I guess just that I sort of feel like I should just go into hiding these next 5.5 months. I don't want to deal with people. I don't want people to deal with me. I have three bbqs this weekend and was excited til I realized the reality of them. Me wanting to eat everything but trying not to. DS running around like a wild man. Me overwhelmed and not remembering how to socialize... beh. But i wanna go at the same time...

ETA I know that doesn't sound like a UO but it started in my head as pregnant women should have to go into hiding. Then it became pregnant women shoul be able to just go into hiding. Maybe some magical spa island. Then I realized I need to work or my dog gets no kibbles. And also that other women are way better at pregnancy than me. Sigh........
    Magical spa island FTW. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @swhiddon33 Yes, but...beer fridges and posters of scantily-clad chicks!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Nicknames... Sometimes it just happens... Like our Whitley... It was to be only Whitley, but she's so dang cute we can't help call her Whitty. But I am sure when she's older people won't call her that. But our son Elias was suppose to be just Elias, but my FIL couldn't get it (he's old) and we let him call him Eli and it stuck... I'm pretty much the only one who ever calls him Elias, we should have just named him Eli. But it can also be about giving your kids options as they grow up and having a professional name. 

My OU is that I shouldn't have loaned out my maternity clothes. Basically they are gone and now I have nothing to wear and I don't want to buy more! I think I need to go to a consignment clothes place... Keep them longer than you think you'll need to. I had Gap stuff! 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Before we had kids DH had a man cave to play his video games...mainly cuz I didn't want anything to do with it. It was also the storage room lol. After 2 days he was "lonely" so the video games came back to the living room. Oh well. 

Now his man cave is the office...until he finishes school. Not quite the man cave most people imagine lol. Homework spread all over the floor "organized" he says. But closer to the baby coming my sewing stuff will all be moved in there too. It's certainly not a sovereign space for DH. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @slartybartfast hahaha. Man. Caves. Can't stand those underground tunnels of doom. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @swhiddon33 That's one of my pet peeves on House Hunters and similar shows. They make SUCH a big deal about "man caves". Why do you get your own freakin' room?! It's called the living room. That's where grown ups play. Get over it. 
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Oh! Thought of a great OU... I think dads who wear bjorns carriers (only that brand) look ridiculous! One, I hate bjorns... They are the dumbest carrier out there, so uncomfortable and impractical. And then it's probably the scale, but it just looks silly to me when men use them... Get yo' self an ergo! 
     :D 

• Oh! Thought of a great OU... I think dads who wear bjorns carriers (only that brand) look ridiculous! One, I hate bjorns... They are the dumbest carrier out there, so uncomfortable and impractical. And then it's probably the scale, but it just looks silly to me when men use them... Get yo' self an ergo! 
     :D 
    @maamawaabangi I wish there was more education for FTM's with carriers.  BRU and the other big registry stores push Bjorn.  We had one and hated it.  I didn't realize all the better options until it was too late.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I loved the bjorn way more than the ergo. Dh loved using it til ds's legs were long enough to kick him in the junk
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited July 2016
    Really, no judgement, to each their own... I agree, I think they are "pushed" by box stores too. Mine lasted about 4 months with my first until she weighed too much and it hurt to wear... Switched for an ergo and haven't looked back! 

@DiFazette the carrier and baby wearing education thing...Yes! I
    cant stand it seeing a FTM using a ring sling wrong! I am not normally one to interject my oppinion, but I will "correct" that! So scary!!! Watch some youtubes! 

• Yes to baby wearing education! The Bjorns are just not impractical, they can actually be really bad for baby's hips. There are lots of budget friendly ergonomic carriers out there now like the Infantino Mai Tai that's at Target/Walmart for like 30 bucks. The guys wearing Bjorns remind me of Zack Galifinakas on The Hangover when he's wearing the stripper's baby.

The nickname thing. My first name is Jenny, not Jennifer because my mom assumed I'd get called Jenny anyway in life. Nope. I got called Jennifer until I was old enough to correct people and not be scared of adults lol. DS's name I LOVE, but I hate hate hate the nickname for it so anytime someone calls him that they get corrected. DH loves the name Vincent for this baby, but I detest both Vinnie and Vince as nn and I know he'd get called that so I cannot even consider the name. Like the two nicknames make me ragey and shake. Ugh.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jenlynne0624 The Mai Tai is on my list! So excited to start wearing this baby around.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • emisiemisi member
    The nickname thing. My first name is Jenny, not Jennifer because my mom assumed I'd get called Jenny anyway in life. Nope. I got called Jennifer until I was old enough to correct people and not be scared of adults lol. DS's name I LOVE, but I hate hate hate the nickname for it so anytime someone calls him that they get corrected. DH loves the name Vincent for this baby, but I detest both Vinnie and Vince as nn and I know he'd get called that so I cannot even consider the name. Like the two nicknames make me ragey and shake. Ugh.
    What about Vin, like Vin Diesel?  ;)  But you can just refuse to let people call him by a nickname.  One of H's best friends named his son Vincent, and no one calls him anything but Vincent.
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List