June 2016 Moms
Options

Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

Re: Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

• Options
    AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
    edited October 2017
    Both of my girls are going through a super intense "mommy" phase. Both of them want me 24/7, and won't go to dh most of the time. If he tries to pick up my 3 year old when she's tired or upset she will almost always pitch a fit crying for me. 

This is new, and really exhausting! Having a 1 and 3 year old cling to you when there is another perfectly capable parent in the house gets old quick. The weird thing is dh has been working from home a lot, so he's around more, and I would think that would help. Doesn't seem to. 

Anyone have tips tips on dealing with this? My son went through it when he was younger, but we only had one kid and it just kind of worked itself out over time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just finished 5 hours of babysitting for my friends 3 kids. That's 6 kids for 5 hours. Luckily dh came along. It actually went ok, but let's just say, there's a reason I'm done at my third. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tristan is asleep and I now like him again.  My patience is officially gone.  Nothing gets done because the child is my shadow.  We will also be going to urgent care tomorrow for, at this moment, a toss up between pink eye or an ear infection, or you know for the win, both!!  

This should probably be in the venting thread but whatever.
  • Options
    Just finished 5 hours of babysitting for my friends 3 kids. That's 6 kids for 5 hours. Luckily dh came along. It actually went ok, but let's just say, there's a reason I'm done at my third. 

My mother in law has 7 children, I question her sanity all the time! 3 is sure more than plenty for me!!!!
  • Options
    Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited October 2017

Love looking at those mountains every day!
  • Options
    Well to urgent care we went today and Tristan ended up with a right ear infection along with pink eye.  He has really been a trooper for the most part.  Here he is cuddling with his Papa and drinking water.

• Options
    egirl1025 said:
    Well to urgent care we went today and Tristan ended up with a right ear infection along with pink eye.  He has really been a trooper for the most part.  Here he is cuddling with his Papa and drinking water.

Poor buddy. I hope he feels better soon!
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @egirl1025 Oh no, both! That's terrible but so glad he's handling it well. 
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:

I hope it's a quick recovery 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited October 2017
    Just got back from an exhausting vacation (aren’t they all?) during which DH has hand foot and mouth disease starting the day we flew out from home. I’m kind of glad it’s over...
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Just got back from an exhausting vacation (aren’t they all?) during which DH has hand foot and mouth disease starting the day we flew out from home. I’m kind of glad it’s over...
    Wow!  How did your husband get it!?!  I just assumed it was kid related. 
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    It’s common in kids because frankly, kids are gross and don’t have the best hygiene practices. It’s a certain virus strain that causes it. My mom (a former NICU nurse and mom of 4) said he may have gotten it from a co-worker who’s kids had it. Luckily Jackie and I seem to have dodged the bullet.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    A couple of years ago a friend's son brought it home from daycare and she caught it. She had to be quarantined for several weeks because it got so bad for her. She not only had it all over her hands, in her mouth, and face...but also IN her vagina! She said it was the most miserable experience of her life.

Last week daycare put out a notice for it because a child in one of the other groups had contracted it. He was no longer contagious but I think it has a large window for being contagious, even before it actually appears.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    A couple of years ago a friend's son brought it home from daycare and she caught it. She had to be quarantined for several weeks because it got so bad for her. She not only had it all over her hands, in her mouth, and face...but also IN her vagina! She said it was the most miserable experience of her life.

Last week daycare put out a notice for it because a child in one of the other groups had contracted it. He was no longer contagious but I think it has a large window for being contagious, even before it actually appears.
    Yeah, the urgent care DH went to said it’s related to herpes and can vary in severity. Luckily his was minor with throat sores and some painful tingling in his hands/feet, but other than being a miserable human all week, it was mild.
  • Options
    Both of my girls are going through a super intense "mommy" phase. Both of them want me 24/7, and won't go to dh most of the time. If he tries to pick up my 3 year old when she's tired or upset she will almost always pitch a fit crying for me. 

This is new, and really exhausting! Having a 1 and 3 year old cling to you when there is another perfectly capable parent in the house gets old quick. The weird thing is dh has been working from home a lot, so he's around more, and I would think that would help. Doesn't seem to. 

Anyone have tips tips on dealing with this? My son went through it when he was younger, but we only had one kid and it just kind of worked itself out over time. 
    That's rough, but I understand. Sometimes I just have to say "Mommy can't right now" and walk away. It sucks because then Miles is mad and screaming for mama and DH is frustrated holding his writhing child who apparently doesn't want anything to do with him. Eventually Art and talk to him through the yelling and calm him down or distract him to the point where I can come back in the room to finish whatever I was doing before. Sometimes the yelling starts up again, but most of the time he's ok. Of course, that's only with 1 kid, don't know how that would work for 2, and one 2 years older at that
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Options
    We visited the school we're toying with enrolling Damien in and while we absolutely loved their kindergarten - grade 6, their Montessori pre-k was a letdown. I'm not sure if all Montessori pre-ks are like this one but it was so cold and lifeless. There wasn't a spot of color to be found anywhere, no posters on the walls, no books, no toys except for the Montessori sanctioned wooden puzzles and the teacher was so reserved and just lacked any spark or enthusiasm for what she does. It was such a huge contrast to the rest of the school which was the complete opposite. K- Grad 6 incorporate some of the Montessori ideology but combine it with others, as well as some traditional academic structure. Anyway, we're pretty torn because our initial thought was to enroll him in the preschool so he already had his foot in the door to move up into the rest of the school, whereas it may be more difficult to get in later on. 

The public school systems here aren't great so a lot of parents have to look into semi-private or private. There are also language laws that restrict which schools your child can attend. Since my husband attended a French primary and secondary school and I'm an immigration, Damien can't go to the public English schools, which have a very balanced approach to French and English. He has to attend 4 years of private English primary schooling in order to be eligible to attend a public secondary English school. The French schools are very anti-English here, to the point where there are signs in the hallway reminding students that French must be spoken. Children actually get in trouble if they're overheard speaking English at recess with their friends. English is restricted to English class, but even then it isn't practiced much. We don't want Damien in that kind of environment since we want him to be exposed and encouraged to learn many languages, as well as be exposed to all sorts of cultures. 

Anyway...just frustrating. 
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited October 2017
    @vintagevix2016 that’s frustrating. Are there other Montessori preschools you might consider and then get him on the waitlist really early for the k-6?

eta: my perception of Montessori schools is that they’re very minimalist. Perhaps that’s what contributed to the lackluster atmosphere.
  • Options
    AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
    edited October 2017
    We visited the school we're toying with enrolling Damien in and while we absolutely loved their kindergarten - grade 6, their Montessori pre-k was a letdown. I'm not sure if all Montessori pre-ks are like this one but it was so cold and lifeless. There wasn't a spot of color to be found anywhere, no posters on the walls, no books, no toys except for the Montessori sanctioned wooden puzzles and the teacher was so reserved and just lacked any spark or enthusiasm for what she does. It was such a huge contrast to the rest of the school which was the complete opposite. K- Grad 6 incorporate some of the Montessori ideology but combine it with others, as well as some traditional academic structure. Anyway, we're pretty torn because our initial thought was to enroll him in the preschool so he already had his foot in the door to move up into the rest of the school, whereas it may be more difficult to get in later on. 

The public school systems here aren't great so a lot of parents have to look into semi-private or private. There are also language laws that restrict which schools your child can attend. Since my husband attended a French primary and secondary school and I'm an immigration, Damien can't go to the public English schools, which have a very balanced approach to French and English. He has to attend 4 years of private English primary schooling in order to be eligible to attend a public secondary English school. The French schools are very anti-English here, to the point where there are signs in the hallway reminding students that French must be spoken. Children actually get in trouble if they're overheard speaking English at recess with their friends. English is restricted to English class, but even then it isn't practiced much. We don't want Damien in that kind of environment since we want him to be exposed and encouraged to learn many languages, as well as be exposed to all sorts of cultures. 

Do you have any Reggio Emilia style preschools there? Or progressive schools? They are less strict, but some similarities as far as empowering independence, etc. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There are 3 Montessori preschools (including the 1 we visited on Saturday) but the other 2 are too far away from where we are moving and my office to reach. Funny enough, we don't have any Reggio Emilia style preschools and our other progressive style of schools are liberal arts focused or international, which place an emphasis on world-knowledge/exposure. You would think being near such a huge city that we'd have more options, but I think the QC Ministry of Edu is the reason a lot of those schools haven't been able to take root here. 

• Options
    Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited October 2017

Stuck!

On a school related note I just registered for a parent meeting for the classical schools in our town. It is a charter school so families are picked in a lottery. The girls are too young for kindergarten here next year, cutoff is October 1st and they will be 5 October 3rd so we may do another year of preschool or petition the school district to let them in early, don't know yet. Also, this school is k-12 in different buildings.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Oh that sucks!!!  So much worse than my oozing child. Hopefully he doesn't pass it along to the rest of you.  
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    meggyme said:

Yeah, the urgent care DH went to said it’s related to herpes and can vary in severity. Luckily his was minor with throat sores and some painful tingling in his hands/feet, but other than being a miserable human all week, it was mild.
    That sounds like the absolute worst!!!
  • Options
    @Tawny87 and @vintagevix2016 good luck with your school endeavors.  It is amazing to me how much time, money and effort we invest into ensuring our children have the best education options so early in the game.  Look at us killing it at adulting!  DH and I moved even before we got pregnant to ensure that our little guy had one the best public school options around.  We as a family are really committed to public education and where we lived before has one of the worst public school systems.  It's really too bad, it was a beautiful place to live.
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:
    @Tawny87 and @vintagevix2016 good luck with your school endeavors.  It is amazing to me how much time, money and effort we invest into ensuring our children have the best education options so early in the game.  Look at us killing it at adulting!  DH and I moved even before we got pregnant to ensure that our little guy had one the best public school options around.  We as a family are really committed to public education and where we lived before has one of the worst public school systems.  It's really too bad, it was a beautiful place to live.
    Right?! The school we are looking at the kids learn latin starting in 4th grade. How freaking cool! I was even privately educated and went to college and never had a drop of latin.
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:
    egirl1025 said:
    Right?! The school we are looking at the kids learn latin starting in 4th grade. How freaking cool! I was even privately educated and went to college and never had a drop of latin.
    For real, I never thought we'd be dealing with this already! The good news is that if Damien does 4 years at a private English primary school, he can attend any public English school, and of course French schools are always an option. Most of the public English schools are very good so that could be a great option for us if we opt to not go private for secondary school (which tends to be more expensive). We're both products of public education and both our Moms were public school teachers, I just wish the system here wasn't so broken and lacking in general. 
  • Options
    *sigh* I hate thinking about that already. I want my LO in private school, but our biggest issue is that most private schools are half day or let out at 3pm. I usually get out at 4 earliest and with practices and all, 5pm. Same for hubs. My parents still work so they can't fetch him.
    Aside from that, the private schools have a lot of days off as well. That means me taking sick days. In the end, we thought it was best to just keep LO at the daycare past 3 years old. They do have a Pre-k there.
    At 4, my hubs can try to enroll him in his school's pre-k. It'd save us a ton of money. As for elementary, since we work for the district, we can enroll him in our choice school.
    But I'd still rather have him in a private school.
  • Options
    Drove an hour in traffic to take Ethan to his first dentist appointment this morning. I absolutely love the office and the dentist. There aren't any highly recommended/good Yelp reviewed pediatric dentist near us, so we traveled to one recommended by a friend.  It's important to me that he is comfortable and has good experiences at the dentist since my childhood memories of the dentist are traumatic!

Ethan did okay...he didn't like being examined. Lol. He cried.  Silly boy. The dentist did point out that Ethan's frenulum (the flap of skin under your top lip) is thick and attached pretty low (hence why he has a small gap between his front teeth) so he will probably need to have it clipped in a few years or else he will have a gap in his permanent teeth.  He also mentioned that any teeth that are touching need to be flossed...totally didn't even think about flossing at this age!  Lol. 

The only crappy part is they aren't in network for our insurance. So...now we need to decide if we want to switch insurance so he can go to this office. Otherwise we will be paying $125 out of pocket for a cleaning every 6 months!
  • Options
    @AmberLiz99 good luck!
  • Options
    I have an interview Thursday morning for an Office Manager job at my daughters super awesome coop preschool. It's only 10 hours a week, and ideally I'd like something with a little more, but it's still super exciting. Dh doesn't love it because he wants me to make more, but honestly I can't imagine juggling a full time job quite yet. Plus no one else seems to want to hire me, so maybe this will be a good first step! 

Fingers crossed the interview goes well. I'm a little nervous 
    Good luck!
  • Options
  • Options
    So 3:05am and I am awake.  The only person awake. I have been battling a cold and a lot of pelvic pain, but really I think I am hungry.  I think?  I hate this feeling!
  • Options
    Is anyone interested in cleaning up our board a bit? I’m attempting to get the admins to remove the BabiesRUs ad/posts removed since they’ve been closed for a year and a half. Do we still want the due date spread sheet, sex thread and birth announcements pinned to the top? Removing them would make for less scrolling on mobile. I’ll volunteer to pester the bump gods to get it done.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Is anyone interested in cleaning up our board a bit? I’m attempting to get the admins to remove the BabiesRUs ad/posts removed since they’ve been closed for a year and a half. Do we still want the due date spread sheet, sex thread and birth announcements pinned to the top? Removing them would make for less scrolling on mobile. I’ll volunteer to pester the bump gods to get it done.
    I think that's a great idea.

It looks like they've only been posting the 2 new threads in older month boards that are still showing some activity. My guess is they're working on an article and want to use our submissions as potential quotes. I don't like it when they spam the boards for their own purposes.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    I think that's a great idea.

It looks like they've only been posting the 2 new threads in older month boards that are still showing some activity. My guess is they're working on an article and want to use our submissions as potential quotes. I don't like it when they spam the boards for their own purposes.
    I agree. They already hit us with the ads, the least they can do is leave our board posts alone. Or close the outdated ones.
  • Options
    @AmberLiz99 Good Luck!!!

@meggyme Yes to the clean up. The fact that the old pinned posts take half a page on mobile annoys me to no end. We definitely don't need due dates or sex anymore as babies are way here. 
  • Options
    I just saw a commercial on live television for holiday pancakes at Denny's. Christmas pancakes. It's too soon!!!!
  • Options
    I just saw a commercial on live television for holiday pancakes at Denny's. Christmas pancakes. It's too soon!!!!
    It’s not even Halloween!!!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Got a call from the preschool director who interviewed me yesterday. 

She went on and on, told me I was the most qualified, perfect for the position, blew them away with my capabilities, etc. She even called the previous director who knew me better and She told her to hire me. But I didn't get the job.  They feel like they have to hire the other parent who happened to be around to fill in over the last two weeks and help them find a new accountant. 

FML. Even when I do everything right things still don't work out. If I wasn't home alone with the kids right now I would go curl up in the dark and cry. So discouraged  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @amberliz99 I’m so sorry, that is so unfair!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20