December 2016 Moms

Winter Baby Essentials

2»

Re: Winter Baby Essentials

• JEM525JEM525 member
    We did the fleece onesie, hat with hood and I wore baby zipped up in my or DH coat, when ever we were outside. We also have this fleece zip up when baby was in the car seat stroller combo. I avoided using it in the car due to safety but it's very helpful, if you have a busy toddler or outdoor activities with new baby. 
  • sourlemon said:
    Move to Arizona and this isn't a huge concern. ;) 

Actually it does freeze here a few times during the winter. My plan is for leaving the house if it's cold is a fleece sleeper then blanket over them in the car seat. But we probably won't be going out a ton until Feb. 

I also have hats, socks, pants with feet, and long sleeve onesies.  Aquaphor is amazing for almost everything!  I never had luck with mittens beyond the first week but I have friends who kept them on their kids for months! My kid figured out how to get them off immediately so I gave up. I might buy or make 1 pair of fleece ones. 
    I agree! I live in AZ and I'm not too worried about our winter but our summers I am!
     Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• Loading the player...
  • Already starting to knit some hats and felt booties for this little one! Eeek! It makes me excited to have a winter baby!!! 
    I'm planning on getting a canopy for my bucket car seat.
    I second that it's better to not to over layer (especially in car seats). That's the beauty of blankets... you can layer them much easier than you can clothes. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• With my 2 kids I used the soft coveralls, I think k they were by carters and they weren't really heavy or bulky, just fuzzy and kept the kids warm. I will be using the same thing with this baby. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012UW7ZMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467250868&sr=8-1&keywords=carters+infant+snowsuit&pi=SY200_QL40
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • beff12beff12 member
    @maamawaabangi I can't wait to start crocheting hats for LO! DD was born in the summer and didn't need many hats. I'm so excited for a winter baby. 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• tinattt23 said:
    @cgss11 I believe you! We drove theough Arizona in January and it was freezing!! Like probably some of the coldest weather (this spoiled Southern California girl) has even been in! Even the dog wouldn't go outside. 
    Aw, bless your heart. I'm from Northern New York. This winter was warm, with it being mostly 35-40 degrees, but last winter was the worst I've experienced since I was a kid - 20 below in the mornings. :-D 

We had a close friend have a baby that winter and they basically camped out at home since it was so bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • sourlemonsourlemon member
    edited June 2016
    @sheshae my first was born at the end of may. It was 100+ degrees for 2 months until the monsoons happened. We didn't have AC (swamp cooler) so it sucked. Lots of onesies the first few months and we limited outdoor time to less then an hour before going in to cool down. She never wore socks or those cute newborn hats that matched her outfits. And I didn't use blankets (except A&A swaddle ones draped over the carseat for sun protection) for 4 months. I'm kinda looking forward to using cute blankets and hats this time around! 

Eta: outdoor activities were always in the shade. I was white as a ghost that summer!
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Would this kind of blanket be safe for the carseat? Thought about making it non-hooded since baby will have a hat on anyways. I figured it might be nice to have for those first few cold months, but if it's not carseat-safe there's not a whole lot of use in making it.

https://www.imperfecthomemaking.com/2012/01/tutorial-hooded-car-seat-blankies.html 
  • @ashleaf2018 that link wasn't working, and if it's a blanket that you wrap around baby and put in the car seat then strap in, probably not. You'll have to check with your manual to see if you're allowed to put anything under baby then strap in. The best thing to do is to warm up your car before you get in it, or if you're using the bucket seat, leave it in the house and just cover baby up with a blanket in the house and take outside. Click the seat into the stroller if you're going in somewhere too. Check your car seat manuals for dangling things too because most will not allow you to dangle anything off of the car seat handle, toys included, and those car seat canopy things you'll get a hundred coupons for.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jenlynne0624 That's so weird, the link is working for me. Anyway, it's a blanket that has cutouts for the car seat straps, so you lay the blanket in, strap baby in, and then it swaddled baby over the straps. So there's only one layer but it's behind baby and it's only two layers of flannel and a layer of cotton batting. So similar to baby wearing a light sweatshirt, but there's no layer between the straps and baby's chest. It looked like a neat idea and didn't seem like it would be all that unsafe, but I feel better off waiting til we actually get our car seat to check and see if it's allowed or not.
  • @jenlynne0624 That's so weird, the link is working for me. Anyway, it's a blanket that has cutouts for the car seat straps, so you lay the blanket in, strap baby in, and then it swaddled baby over the straps. So there's only one layer but it's behind baby and it's only two layers of flannel and a layer of cotton batting. So similar to baby wearing a light sweatshirt, but there's no layer between the straps and baby's chest. It looked like a neat idea and didn't seem like it would be all that unsafe, but I feel better off waiting til we actually get our car seat to check and see if it's allowed or not.
    This still sounds like it wouldn't be recommended. I know with my car seat if it is not something made by the same carseat manufacturer then it is considered not safe. You would be suprised how much the fabric gets compressed in a crash and how loose the straps can get, even if they seem tight when you strap them in. I have always just put the baby in the car seat and then put a blanket over their lags and hands, not under the straps at all so if they get too hot it is also easy to remove.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • ^WSS plus things need to have certain flame retardants and stuff on it too, and some fabrics are more flammable than others. Like no "minky" fabric should be in the car seat because it's HIGHLY flammable. Join the page Car Seats for the Littles on Facebook and ask them. You'll get the best response from actual car seat techs.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I googled it for you @ashleaf and anyone else who needs ideas for winter months that are car seat approved https://csftl.org/hello-winter-good-bye-coats/

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you for that @jenlynne0624! I'm just going to wait til we actually get our car seat and go from there, but that's a really thoughtful list! :)
  • I live in Michigan. Our winters here can be rough and lake effect snow can happen at anytime between October and April. That being said I wouldn't use a snowsuit unless you are walking with baby, or they sweat horribly. A good rule is if you are to hot or cold, so are they. I do recommend slippers though
  • Agree with you @Diamond0323. I'm in Pittsburgh and we get some nasty snow too, but not to your extent,nand our pedi always said dress baby like you'd dress yourself. Those car seats are warm and putting too many layers on will over heat baby. For ds who was one and a half this winter had a long sleeved onsie with a fleece Zip up Columbia jacket, fleece pants or jeans, socks and shoes and a hat. A blanket to get from store to car if needed. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I found a coat extender so that I can keep baby warm when using a carrier (and it'll probably be useful at the end of the pregnancy!).