September 2016 Moms

Preterm labor

For those of you that have experienced it what were signs? I am waiting on the nurse to call me back. I have had period like cramps all day, some going around my back. Occasional sharp pain in the area of the pubic line. I took a bath and am laying in bed resting and baby is moving all over so that is good. Just haven't experienced this and my body never really figured out labor with my first so have nothing to compare it too.

Re: Preterm labor

• I haven't experienced preterm but have expereiences regular labor. Sounds like you could be having contractions. I would drink a lot of water and lay low. Hopefully they get back to you soon so you can figure it out. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • I haven't experienced it either. Is it a constant pain? Have you drank much water today? Down a couple of glasses of water and keep drinking, you could just be dehydrated.
  • Loading the player...
  • Shiva14Shiva14 member
    edited June 2016
    Do the cramps come and go or stay achy? Are they timetable? It's normal to sometimes feel very sore and the lightening feeling you have could be baby's head pressing on your pelvic bone. However, you definitely did the right thing calling a doctor if you are at all concerned. If the pain is timeable, then it is contractions. If they are constant/ fairly close together (4 minutes or more) I would head to the ER since it's so early.
  • ashtasht member
    Not timetable. More like the period aches. Down low and lower back. I would say the sharp ones are a head. My first kiddo did that and I recognize that pain. It like it stabs across my body verses down the vagina. The sharp ones are come and go and these are steady. Almost like the early days of the cramping when everything was stretching except adding in the back. She's also rolling/moving all over in there verses really kicking. I am on pace to my normal water intake of 75-100 oz a day. I tried calling the hospital I plan to deliver at but they wouldn't transfer me to a nurse. Kept telling me to call my ob ( which I already had a call to) so I finally hung up on her before I lost my marbles on her.
  • My doc today said if I experience anything like this to drink some water and lay down for a bit. Keep track of how constant the pain is. If it's contractions then go to the hospital. This is my first so I've got no idea what to expect. But hopefully a little water and some rest will help clear up your pain. Good luck! Hope your LO stays inside a little while longer. 
  • ashtasht member
    I have been laying in bed since about 445 and it's currently 630. I don't plan to move
  • Maybe baby moved and is stretching out in a new position?
  • I was having contractions last week.  They were around 4 mins apart.  I drank some water and laid down and they went away.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • I had contractions but wasn't in preterm labor. 

I had period-like pain that went around my front and back. I always have BH, but these HURT so I knew they were different. They reminded me of early contractions with my other two babies. They were also time-able.

I had to go into L&D and get a shot to stop them from turning into preterm labor.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • ashtasht member
    Went in. Some irritation showing but nothing concerning. Wasn't overly thrilled with the fat finger nurse violation though.