September 2016 Moms

How to nicely discourage people from trying to decorate your nursery?

Hey Ladies! I have my shower coming up in August and I've encountered an issue. My friends who are throwing the shower, and a few other people, have mentioned to me that they got something for my nursery or that they are "making" something for the nursery and I have no idea how to tell them that the nursery is off limits. It sounds like they are all trying to decorate the one thing that me and my husband exclusively want to do and I don't want to get into a situation where these people are like "oh, why didn't you hang this up?" and then I know that even if they don't say anything I know I will feel super guilty for not being openly thankful of their gift.

I know they are probably doing it just to be excited, but a lot of them don't have families yet and they tend to give "unsolicited advice that they got second and third hand" having never had children so I've been dealing with that and now I'm just to the point where I'm like "ok, but seriously-- this is not your baby and this is not your nursery." Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Re: How to nicely discourage people from trying to decorate your nursery?

• Hum...that's an interesting situation.....Maybe you could let them know your nursery theme so at least whatever they get/make might be something you like and want in the nursery?  I don't know how you can stop them...if you don't like what it is just don't put it in the nursery...people made "it's a boy" banners for my shower that they thought i could use in the nursery...yeah, no.  But no one has even really seen the nursery.

You could also just put the nursery together ASAP and then it's done before they can give you anything for it (maybe even post pics on social media or something to broadcast how you've completed the nursery)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If it were me I would open / receive it. Thank them kindly for all of their efforts and hard work. I would put it up in the nursery somewhere. Take a pic, send it to them and take it down. Are these people who will see your nursery every day? You could always say you received other decor and you have been switching stuff in and out or that space is limited? Just a thought! Obviously it's super generous that they want to spend the time and love to make a gift from the heart, but I also understand wanting to decorate yourself. Maybe there's a way you can politely accept the gift and then see how you can use it. Or like I said, just accept it and show appreciation for it so no one gets upset. 
  • Funny, someone from my church said similar, that she wanted to know the colors of our nursery in order to make or gift us something. I was taken aback especially since she is not someone I know very well, but instead of rejecting her offer I said thank you and explained that baby will not have its own nursery but rather be in our room. We don't have the extra space yet so that was a truthful and easy out...
  • Tell your best friend who gossips that you and your husband are so excited about the nursery you already have it planned/bought for/decorated. Hopefully word of mouth will dissuade Aunt Fern from buying an entire set of.... whatever.

Anything you receive at the shower though, you smile, thank them graciously and write a kind thank you note.  Even if it is the scariest clown doll from the darkest pits of hell you smile and act gracious. It's the thought that counts for gifts after all.
  • ashtasht member
    Making something for the nursery could mean a blanket and not necessarily decorations.
  • I was thinking the same thing: a blanket, or burp cloths or something.  Those are pretty popular.  I don't think you have to worry about them making a giant mural painting and expecting it to be hung up.  Unless your my MIL.  LOL!
  • Pardon the language but it's all that came to mind... 

Just do a polite pass on the items once received and gift them to a charity. 
  • I made it clear to my mom (who loves to shop and buy things) that the nursery was mine, she could buy anything else for the baby but nothing for the nursery. I also didn't register for anything for the room. I would say just don't encourage it and take what they give you. If you can use it and like it great but if not just put it in the back of the closet! 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• I think buying for the nursery is more personal than most other gifts so i can see why you might be more sensative. However, the idea that the gift is more personal makes me want to cherish the item that much more. I might consider decorating a small wall to decorations others have picked out specifically for your little one. You could just as easily get nothing and wish you had people like this in your life. My family is pretty absent so I am just seeing it from another angle.
  • Thanks, Ladies! Lots of good perspectives!