Pregnant after a Loss

My rainbow is here and brightening my life!!

My beautiful rainbow baby made her entrance on 6/10 is a very grand fashion.

I had been going for biweekly NST due to gestational diabetes. On Tuesday (6/7) the NST wasn't great. She technically "passed" but wasn't moving the same as normal. They sent me for a BPP and the tech measured fluid and such and said every thing looked great. I had a feeling something was off but couldn't identify anything specific so it became watch and wait. That Friday I woke up in the morning for my NST. I noticed baby had been moving a lot less frequently in the past two days. She didn't do well on the NST again so another quick BPP. This one was done by the regular tech who normally scanned me. Again, everything looked ok. Until she checked growth. At 34 weeks with MFM she was measuring 6lbs. At 37 weeks for a follow up she was measuring around 6lbs 12oz. This scan showed she was still only measuring 6lbs 12oz. Since she hadn't grown at all in that time, doctor said it was time to induce and get her out. I don't know why but I had a feeling I was going to be sent to the hospital before I even left the house for that appointment. I had taken extra time showering, threw my stuff in the hospital bag, and left my wedding ring at home. So I called my husband and told him to meet me at L&D.

Got to L&D at 11am and they started me on a bag of fluids and antibiotic, since the test results had just come back and showed I was GBS positive. Her heart rate was dipping low for unknown reasons so I had to be monitored for a bit to see if it came back up and stayed steady. It began to look like we might be headed for a c-section. Her heart rate normalized and they started pitocin at 1pm. The pitocin worked well but didn't necessarily help me progress. The contractions became uncomfortable but manageable for the most part. I had to stay hooked up to the contraction monitor and heart rate monitor though the whole time (this became literally the worst part of the whole process because someone ended up having to hold the monitor on me because I couldn't move without the monitor losing her and they kept trying to readjust it even during awful contractions). The contractions (as bad as they felt) werent enough to progress her down and prepare my cervix. So at 8:45pm they broke my water. Found out baby had already pooped and doctor said it looked like it had been there for awhile, which is likely why she appeared distressed at the NST. In spite of pitocin and breaking the waters, I only got to 4cm dilated (was around a 2 when I went in at 11). Having my waters broken plus the pitocin made labor AWFUL and I was having contractions one on top of another (literally a minute apart). I kept saying I could handle it if I could just get a quick break in between. Finally caved and decided to get an epidural. I figured, the whole reason I had for not getting one is i wanted the least amount of medical intervention as possible. At this point I was up to my armpits in interventions, might as well throw this one in too. I also thought I was in for the long haul on labor and would need my rest for the remainder. At 10:45 the doc came in and got the epidural started. This took about 20 minutes and she said she might have to adjust it. I was still feeling the contractions pretty intensely but they said to give it time to kick in. My OB came to check on me at that time and I told him I was still feeling a lot of contractions and felt a lot in my back. He checked me and I had dilated to 9cm. He said he would go check on others and be back in a bit. As he left the room I got SUPER uncomfortable and told the nurse it felt like I needed to poo. She asked to check me again and not only was I at 10cm but baby was coming. She grabbed doc and 6 minutes later my Team Green turned to Katherine Elizabeth at 6lbs 9.1oz 19 inches at 11:43pm. NICU was going to be on hand due to her being in her meconium but they didn't even have time to get there. Thankfully she did just great and did not appear to aspirate any meconium and didn't need any interventions. When the placenta was delivered the doctor mentioned that it looked very small, which is likely why she wasn't growing any more. My sweet girl came at 38+2 weeks and is just wonderful.

She had difficulty latching due to her being small, my boobs being huge, and my nipples not staying out. So she quickly lost weight (I didn't know enough to know the latch was wrong and she wasn't getting enough food) but I quickly met with an LC the day after we left the hospital. She showed us a new latch technique (which involved my husband holding my nipple for her. Awkward) and that helped but didn't work consistently (and wasn't going to work once he went back to work). So we went back the next day and got a nipple shield which has worked wonders. She dropped down to 5lbs 14oz and started gaining back and at her two week check up had surpassed her birth weight (impressively she gained 10oz in a week!)

My worries haven't stopped. I feel so amazingly blessed to have this miracle but I remain aware of the heartache that can come. I am thankful for the extra monitoring I ended up having because it detected a problem that would have otherwise likely gone unnoticed. So in some ways, I am actually thankful for the gestational diabetes diagnosis (it also helped me keep my weight gain in check and I ended the pregnancy healthier than I as when I started). Between gestational diabetes, positive GBS, and meconium stain, I am luckily that everything played out how it did and my wonderful girl got here safely.

I look forward to hearing more rainbow stories and wish all of you so much happiness to come. I am so sorry that we all had to meet here but have felt so blessed to see so many strong women preserve through so much pain and suffering just to get our bundles of joy.

Re: My rainbow is here and brightening my life!!

• Congrats! She's beautiful! ... I went through the same thing with growth. She only measured a few oz bigger than the 2 weeks prior. Born at 5lbs 14oz but thankfully at her 4 day check up she was already back to birth weight. 
  • What an ordeal! I'm so glad you got your happy ending. Congratulations!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Loading the player...
  • lilp2015 said:
    Congrats! She's beautiful! ... I went through the same thing with growth. She only measured a few oz bigger than the 2 weeks prior. Born at 5lbs 14oz but thankfully at her 4 day check up she was already back to birth weight. 
    Oh my goodness yours was a tiny pumpkin!! It was nerve-racking wasnt it? After experiencing loss any time they would hint something might not be right I would panic a little.

Congrats to you and your sweet little one!!
  • Congratulations!!!!!
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• lilp2015 said:
    Congrats! She's beautiful! ... I went through the same thing with growth. She only measured a few oz bigger than the 2 weeks prior. Born at 5lbs 14oz but thankfully at her 4 day check up she was already back to birth weight. 
    Oh my goodness yours was a tiny pumpkin!! It was nerve-racking wasnt it? After experiencing loss any time they would hint something might not be right I would panic a little.

Congrats to you and your sweet little one!!
    Yes! She was tiny but growing like crazy already. After 2 losses I spent the entire pregnancy worried about every thing! 
  • Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Congrats!  She's beautiful!
  • Congratulations, she's gorgeous!
    DS born 06/20/2012
    DD born sleeping 12/17/2014
    Pregnant with EDD of 09/28/2016

• Congratulations! 
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congratulations! 
  • Such a beautiful rainbow!!
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"