June 2016 Moms
Options

Swaddling Suggestions

My DD has broken her arms out of her SwaddleMe the past 2 nights. The first night she worked her arms under the velcro flaps and then pulled them  up over her face. It scared the crap out of me when I went to pick her up. I think she still needs to be swaddled, but I'm nervous about the SwaddleMe. We have a halo as well, but it seemed to bunch around her neck. Anyone have a swaddle or technique that works well for a baby that likes to bust out of them? 

Re: Swaddling Suggestions

• Options
    We have several types of swaddles and some "stay" better then others. I like the Velcro ones as opposed to just swaddling with a regular blanket. Have you tried a Velcro swaddles with arm holes?  My baby just recently started wiggling his arms out so now we leave them out and he puts his arms up by his head (looks like he's saying "touchdown!  Lol). 
  • Options
    My baby needs his arms out so maybe try that first. We usually just use a blanket but he is sometimes a Houdini.  The swaddle me is a little big for my little guy but we have used them. They are ok but I know what you mean about the extra fabric around the neck and face and that can be worrying:

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friend swore by and got me a woombie for my shower.  It's nice because it zips all the way up to the chin, there's no extra fabric at the top to get around their faces, and there's another zipper at the bottom that unzips up for diaper changes so you don't have to completely undress them from it.  My baby seemed to like it best as a swaddle.  
  • Options
    My little guy hates to have his arms swaddled so we gave up swaddling his arms after the first week.  It made him happy, and that made us happy. 
  • Options
    Summer makes a zip up swaddle. It worked great for my son who busted out of everything else.
  • Options
    I second the zip up swaddle pods. But would suggest letting you LO sleep with arms unswaddled if she can. My DS became so dependent on the swaddle it was the hardest habit to break once he could roll and it became dangerous. 
  • Options
    Mine started with the swaddle ok, then wanted her arms out, then wanted her arms and legs out. I empathize with her because I hate having my feet restricted as well. We have mostly stopped swaddling because she seems so much more uncomfortable when we do.
  • Options
    Retry a regular swaddle blanket, practice a firmer wrap with a higher across and tuck, leave the dominant arm out of needed.
  • Options
    I'm seconding the Woombie. We just got one today and it is awesome. 
  • Options
    xc1148xc1148 member
    We had the best luck with the aiden and anais swaddles. They need to be TIGHT. You might want to ask your husband for help, I could never do it tight enough. I wish the arm out would have worked for us, try that too! But my daughter had a crazy startle reflex.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    We have been using the halo sleep slacks that we received from the hospital.  They worked out great for using with his bili blanket since they zipped down.  Over the past couple of days he has been a bit more fussy and likes to have his arms out, but super fussy this afternoon so I just put his arms back in.  Seemed to calm him down a bit more.  As for bunching around the neck, i either roll it back a bit or just reposition him to make sure the fabric is crossing in the right spot.  He had basically spent a lot of his life so far swaddled and it really has kept him calm for the most part.  I can him my little burrito
  • Options
    One of the nurses at my Hosptial told me they use two blankets to get a good swaddle. So the first blanket you get as tight as you can but then when you go in with the second blanket they are already swaddled and it's easier to get a nice tight swaddle. It's worked well for our DD, I agree the halo bunches too much at her neck.
  • Options
    Our son likes being swaddled and for the most part. W don't have issue with him wiggling his arms free too often but when they do, they don't seem to be an issue. We use the classic swaddle blankets from Anais and Aden, they work pretty well! I love 'em.
  • Options
    Last night we decided to try her halo with her arms out to see if she preferred it and she had her best night of sleep yet! No waking and fussing and she went for 3 hour stretches! She had been doing 2. We're going to try it again tonight, but seems perhaps swaddling just isn't her thing. Thanks for all the suggestions! If this doesn't continue  to work, we'll definitely try all of you tips! You ladies are awesome!