November 2015 Moms

Solids - Help?

AmoLovesAudAmoLovesAud member
edited June 2016 in November 2015 Moms
My 7.5 month old refuses solids.  She was doing okay until she had a vomit-fest one night after one of the biggest dinners she'd ever eaten (1.5 oz, banana puree and oatmeal), about a month ago.  She won't eat anything now.  I spend 2 times a day struggling to just get half an ounce spooned out, and she just spits it out.  Her doctor suggested finger foods: puffs, yogurt melts, mummums, tiny pieces of soft fruit coated in oatmeal to be less slimy.  We've tried it all, multiple times, all just ends up on the floor.  Occasionally a single piece ends up in her mouth, she makes a horrible grimace and spits it out.

I wouldn't care too bad except: she lost weight.  Just an ounce, but she should do nothing but gain.  She's also constipated now, most likely from banana bc it's the only thing she'll even taste.  She's obviously straining and passing a lot of gas, but I can't get apple juice, pear juice, peaches, prunes, or gripe water in her.  It all comes back out.  And she started spitting up her breastmilk again, she had stopped for at least the last month or 2.  I'm getting worried that she's got a blockage or something?  I know that means I should call her ped, but TBH I don't feel like they listen to me (we're in the process of finding a new office).

Should I be concerned enough to bitch at the doctors some more?  Any other food ideas?  I mainly make her purees, but we've tried a few jars and pouches.  The additives in most brands gives her a rash.

ETA: I always try a solids feed between 30-90 mins after nursing.  30 mins and she's just not hungry enough, more than an hour and she seems too hungry and frustrated.  She nurses every 2.5 hours and also naps about that frequently, too.  It's really hard to find the sweet spot of munchy-not-hangry-and-also-not-tired.

Re: Solids - Help?

• I don't have any advice regarding solids that you probably haven't tried already, but just wanted to say I would harp on the doctors until they look into the reason for her spitting up all of the sudden. I am by no means a medical or baby expert, but it just doesn't seem right to me that she would begin spitting up after not spitting up for a couple of months. I hope you get answers and that everything is okay! 
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited June 2016
    I agree with @doodleoodle and if your pediatrician is really that bad, get in with a new one now. Although I wouldn't worry about a blockage if she's passing gas and pooping, but something is going on. 

My advice, other than checking out a medical reason for this, is to just keep trying. We have been doing solids for 2+ months and DD has refused to eat up until 2 days ago. She used to clamp her lips closed and turn her head, spitting out anything that made it in her mouth (except a bit of avocado). Well that just suddenly changed overnight and now she loves eating!  Babies are so bizarre. 
  • Loading the player...
  • She is passing gas but she hasn't pooped since Wednesday morning, which is why I was worried, and why I've been trying everything under the moon to make her go.  I will call about the spit up, though.  Combined with her never ending cough, I really think she has some kind of reflux problem, but her doc won't look into it bc she's too old?  Which is why we're looking for a new practice (well, that and when she had her worst sleep problems, 10+ wakeups per night, her doctor's suggestion was to roll her crib into the hallway and wear earplugs.)
  • @AmoLovesAud, I agree with the previous posts.  Check with the pediatrician and hopefully you can find the answer soon. 
    Our LO loves food, but when we started introducing chicken and beef, he didn't like it and he would throw a fit.  My mom told me that with me and my siblings, she would put the food in the spoon and on the tip of the spoon, she would put some baby yogurt.  It worked with us and with our son.  He did have an episode where he threw up a lot with zucchini.   Our pediatrician told us to wait a few weeks before reintroducing it.
    Regarding constipation, we gave LO as a new food, Gerber's prune puree (2.5 oz container).  Within 8 hours, he had the biggest poop diaper and it was a bit runny.
    Hope this helps.
  • Do you ever feed her pumped breastmilk?  If she will take milk from a bottle, I'd try adding a touch of prune juice and/or rice cereal to that to fix the constipation issue.  Bridget was very constipated for a while.  She'd poop only every few days and it would be a hard poop.  I added about a quarter ounce of prune juice to her bottle and we had a poopsplosion within an hour.  She hasn't become constipated since.   
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• On the food strike: I've been using coconut oil for my nipples to moisturize since he was maybe 3 mo old since he's always been a little rough on me. When he went on a food strike earlier this month I gave him a baby spoon with some coconut oil on it and he loved it. Even now that's basically dessert a couple times a week because it's just so cute how excited he gets :) You could always try that and if nothing else your boobs will be super soft, lol
  • If LO had a blockage yiu would know, my sister had one as a baby.

In reguards to the constipation, a really ripe bannana may help, it works as a diuretic, be carefuk though, an un ripe bannana can cause constipation.
    I also second getting a new pedi you are confident and comfortable with.
  • Thanks all for the suggestions.  Breastmilk mixed with prune purée finally got things moving.  I was thinning out her purées with water, but I'll try pumped breastmilk instead, that's one taste she likes, at least.