January 2017 Moms

Hair color

I think this was already covered? Can't recall. Anyway, I'm a fake platinum blonde and my roots are obnoxious. I always get full foils, toner.....I forgot to ask my doctor if/when it's okay to make a visit to the salon.
What do you ladies think about it? Safe or no?
BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave

Re: Hair color

• I cancelled mine until 2nd trimester just to be sure. 
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    That's what I'm thinking of doing, too. Even then, I don't know. It makes me nervous. But the roots? They're not cute.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • Every stylist I've ever asked says it's completely safe. Some women just get highlights because it doesn't touch the scalp. Personally I'd do it but I'm pretty laid back about that kind of stuff. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got balayage highlights and toner done a few weeks ago and wasn't concerned at all, but then again I knew the highlights weren't going near my actual scalp. I'd ask your doctor but also ask your hair stylist, too. They're pretty knowledgeable about their products and might have a recommendation to tweak your usual full foil routine to make you feel more comfortable.
    Me & DH: 27
    Met: 12.9.2007
    Married: 9.26.2014
    BFP: 5.1.2016
    Baby Boy Due: 1.13.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had my hair colored at 8 weeks. I continued to color my hair during my last pregnancy too. I'm not worried about it harming my baby any, although I was uncomfortable when sitting under the dryer while the color set and didn't stay under it as long as my hair probably needed. 
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I feel like the color always gets on my scalp. I'll probably do that, @asnowsurfer. Just tweak my routine. But I'm going to wait till I'm well into my second trimester still. I'm paranoid like that.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • i still color mine. went in a few weeks ago, will go in again soon.
  • I am not coloring mine. I am not sure if it can hurt the babe but I know for sure it's not going to help the babe.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    Yep, I highlight every 6 weeks. My saying is if it's okay for the OB, it's okay for me. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• I still plan on coloring my hair. I think it's NBD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I waited until 2nd trimester with both previous pregnancies.  Will do this time also.  Though I've been told its totally fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bleach and layer fun colors but I'm not going to while pregnant.  Better safe than sorry.  If something happens to my baby down the line, physically or developmentally, I couldn't live with myself.  Vanity isn't worth it.
    BabyName Ticker
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    Wholesome said:
    I bleach and layer fun colors but I'm not going to while pregnant.  Better safe than sorry.  If something happens to my baby down the line, physically or developmentally, I couldn't live with myself.  Vanity isn't worth it.
    So, I guess those of us who continue to color our hair (though not one bit of real-life science has shown any negative effects) are just vain in spite of our children's health? Mommy-hate much? 

• Vivi20Vivi20 member
    @cjs260 It's okay, I don't think @Wholesome was trying to be a hater. She's just not comfortable with it is all. There's things I don't do that my doctor and other medical people (for the life of me I can't think of the proper term to use) say is perfectly fine, but I just have this thing where I can't do it. It doesn't mean I think other women are bad moms. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • My OB said it's fine to do, but I decided to use an ammonia free dye during my pregnancy and nursing. 
  • I'm with @cjs260 on this. @wholesome's comment presumes that anyone that chooses to highlight or dye their in pregnancy is choosing vanity over the safety of their child. Just based on reading the responses to this post, many women's OBs have advised that it is safe. So, I would assume many women that dye or treat their hair have chosen to follow the advice of a medical professional, not because of vanity. All of these issues are personal decisions and everyone's comfort level is different. I don't think it's fair to label someone as vain if their educated on the issue and have made an informed decision after consultation with their doctor. Live and let live. 
  • My stylist and OB said it was completely fine to get it done anytime. I died my hair all throughout my first pregnancy and had no time.
  • aishmcaishmc member
    We discussed this a few weeks ago.  I spoke with my OB and other OBs that I know and everyone said it was ok.  I got balayage highlights just before Memorial Day weekend and all is well.  The only thing I can say is that the color came out slightly darker than it normally does even though my stylist mixed the exact same colors that he always does.  I've heard that the color not coming out exactly as planned is due to hormonal changes?  
  • I'm with @cjs260 on this. @wholesome's comment presumes that anyone that chooses to highlight or dye their in pregnancy is choosing vanity over the safety of their child. Just based on reading the responses to this post, many women's OBs have advised that it is safe. So, I would assume many women that dye or treat their hair have chosen to follow the advice of a medical professional, not because of vanity. All of these issues are personal decisions and everyone's comfort level is different. I don't think it's fair to label someone as vain if their educated on the issue and have made an informed decision after consultation with their doctor. Live and let live. 
    I think that by definition hair dying is done for vanity's sake.  People aren't choosing to do it because their doctor said it's good for them, they do it to look good, which is fine, but it's fair to say people dye their hair for vanity's sake.   It doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation. She never labeled anyone vain, she said vanity isn't worth it to her which is her choice and a completely fair way to look at it.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    Okay, let's flip this around to something that has actually been shown to have a negative effects on a fetus: exposure to BPA. Aka, Drinking out of plastic water/soda bottles. This has been shown to cause lower testosterone rates in male fetuses and higher estrogens in female fetuses leading to endocrine problems like low-t and PCOS later in life. So, what if I came in and said: 

I don't drink out of plastic while I'm pregnant. I only use a refillable glass bottle. Laziness is not worth it. 

Would that not make me look like a pretentious mommy-shamer and offend the 95% of women here who drink out of plastic? I think so. 

• The word vanity is inflammatory, and inherently negative, in my opinion. Synonyms of the word vanity are conceit, narcissism, egotism, etc. This is what @cjs260 (I believe!) took issue with in the response and why she bolded. And I agree. Many people on this thread responded appropriately and indicated that treating their hair was not for them without making a judgment call as to what it means if a person decides to do so. As I said in my response, a person's level of comfort on all issues involving pregnancy will be different from some else's and I don't expect everyone to agree based on differing life experiences and personality traits. But the judgment is unnecessary and words matter. 
  • @cjs260, IMO you're being slightly over the top. She was just saying her vanity isn't worth it for her to color her hair while pregnant. I didn't take it offensively or feel she was "mommy shaming" anyone who does color their hair. I've seen you make some pretty bold statements on threads that I don't necessarily agree with...but those are your opinions and you're entitled to them just as she is to hers and I am mine. I think on one thread you told someone it's the Internet and if they can't handle others opinions, they maybe can't handle the Internet? Don't quote me word for word but it was something to that effect. 

Back to the original thread, with my first I colored my hair throughout my pregnancy but I had always done highlights. With this pregnancy I haven't colored my hair during this first tri because I've been doing balayage (spelling, I can barely pronounce it right I always say Biolage lol) and my hair is pretty close to my natural color on top. I plan on coloring again before vaca in July which just so happens to be my 12 week mark. Whatever decision you make, rock it--as a Mom you'll be judged for anything and everything! This coming from the Mom who had a crying kid all the way through the grocery store yesterday and didn't bat an eye at all the "looks" I was getting. Btw, he was crying because he didn't want to go grocery shopping. Tough cookies little one!  :D
  • In @cjs260 defense wholesome has said that exact phrase in regards to many different topics several times. Pregnancy doesn't mean we have to wrap ourselves in bubble wrap for months. Most of us aren't doing things like liking inner city door handles and can safely keep up with our usual routines and habits without harming our babies. If you ONLY do things that benefit your baby then it'll be a long 40 weeks. Take care of yourself too!
  • My doctor said in short of drinking the dye, it's safe. My hairdresser has 3 kids and checked herself each time she was pregnant as she's exposed to the chemicals all day and also platinum blonde dyes her hair. I trust both. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't dye my hair, I sometimes do color washes to brighten it (sometimes= once or twice a year) but I'm thinking of starting because I feel like shit, my skin and hair are looking rough from intense m/s, and I want a pick me up. I DESERVE a proven-safe pick me up without undue judgments and harsh, shitty words.

My OB says it's fine, I trust her. That's why she's my doctor. 
  • I dye my hair when i was pregnant with all three kids. Is just a personally choice. My doctor gave me the okays for all three. 
    Pregnancy Ticker