June 2016 Moms

Hospital gowns

AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
edited June 2016 in June 2016 Moms
I have a question for those who have delivered. Did you wear the hospital gowns for your entire stay after delivery, or did you change into your own cloths once you could?

I put on my own comfy clothes as soon as my IV was out, and the nurses acted like I was crazy. I'm curious what others did. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Hospital gowns 92 votes

i used the hospital gowns the entire stay
20% 19 votes
I changed ASAP
32% 30 votes
I changed, but not till the next day
42% 39 votes
Other
4% 4 votes

Re: Hospital gowns

• alileecamalileecam member
    edited June 2016
    Hospital gowns are hideous. I changed as soon as I could!! 

The gown this time had two huge slits for nursing and I definitely didn't want to hang out in it in front of visitors when I brought my own cute nursing pjs that were far more supportive and modest.
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• I stayed in my hospital gown for about 7hr after my c-section, then changed into my own nightgown. I instantly felt so much better! 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • I changed 9 am next morning. C section at 845 pm previous night. Almost got into words with my nurse when she didn't want to take my catheter out and let me shower even though the charge nurse said it could be done.
  • I couldn't walk the first day due to complete numbness in my foot from pinching a nerve in my leg during delivery. Apparently my epidural worked too well and didn't know I squeezed my leg and hurt myself. So..... because I couldn't move around on my own, I didn't change until the next morning. I surely would have the same day if I had been able to move. I bought a comfy nursing gown and robe set from Motherhood that I loved. 
  • I wanted to shower and change ASAP. I was a sweaty mess. Lol. So the nurse just covered my IV and I got to shower. Felt like a million bucks afterwards!!
  • I brought my own but the nurse asked me to change into the hospital gown when I arrived (I was in too much pain to argue). I ended up wearing it the whole time I was at the hospital, it didn't bother me though.
  • As soon as I was allowed to shower I changed. I did not like the hospital gown at all. Delivered at 11:43pm and showered some time the next morning when they ok'ed me to get showered.
  • I had a c section at 6am, and had a catheter. It was way easier to keep the catheter in until the next morning. They like to keep it in for 12-24 hours. They would have taken it out sooner, but it was fine leaving it in for the full 24 since it was a literal pain to get out of bed. My nurse did help me walk around a few times that day, but I showered the next day and wore my own clothes after that. I was also in the hospital for over 96 hours, so there is no way I would have wanted to wear the hospital gown the whole time. They are so hot!

• My nightgown was way more comfortable and easier to nurse in.  I ended up giving birth in the nightgown I wore to the hospital too because there wasn't a gown in my room when we got there and DS came out too fast after that.  Sort of annoying cause it got dirty!
  • Reading all these, I feel like I went rogue. I didn't wait to find out if I could shower or change, I just did, and as soon as I got in the recovery room! The nurses didn't argue, they just laughed at my spirit :)
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • I showered straight away and put the hospital gown back on. A fresh one obviously. I changed into my clothes the next day. 
  • I was naked when I delivered. As soon as I got up to put something on, I put my own nightgown on.
    37 y/o
    Married 9/1/13
    Off OCP 3/1/14
    TTC 6/1/14
    DX Endometriosis in 2002
    Laparoscopy 2002 and 2007
    HSG 8/2014, right tube partially blocked
    1st BFP 1/5/15 EDD 9/12/15- miscarried 1/8/15
    BFP 10/5/15 EDD 6/17/16- delivered healthy girl 6/18/16
    BFP 8/4/16 EDD 3/2/18- trisomy 18 girl- no heartbeat 8/25/17 at 13 weeks d&c 8/28/17
    BFP 12/4/17 EDD 8/19/18

• I was at a birth center so it was a little different.  I stayed naked the whole time until I had to go home.
  • Glad it's not just me! I find the gowns so uncomfortable. My soft sleep pants and t felt sesame afterwords 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I stayed naked, too! But only because I was already 9cm dilated and fully effaced when I got to L&D! I was in too much pain to change into the gown, and the nurses weren't worried about getting that stupid thing on me.
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • I hate them (and I'm a nurse, you'd think I'd have gotten used to them).  I kept my clothes on as long as possible - until epidural time.  I delivered at 12:26 AM, and slept in the gown that night & then into my own clothes in the morning.  Well, into the mesh panties, a nursing bra & a tank top.  I put on a really soft skirt if I had visitors.
  • I actually don't mind the gown.  It's not scratchy, it's lose enough to be comfy and when fluids end up on it, I don't care because I don't have to worry about washing it.  
  • I had to use the gown for my natural birth  and when they brought me to my room I waited for like an hour because I wanted to rest a little and then I took a shower and changed to my clothes asap.