September 2015 Moms

LO trying to switch to one nap a day already?!

LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
edited June 2016 in September 2015 Moms
welp, the past week morning naps have been hell. He refuses to go down. He seems sleepy but isn't a crab. Just plays and crawls/pulls up on everything. He is just over 9 months old! Is he already trying to just take one nap a day?! Ugh. I need those two naps for my sanity. If he does take a morning nap it's about 20-60 minutes. He will take a big 2-3 hour nap in the late afternoon, early evening. 2-3-4 was successful for a few random weeks. I though one nap a day was closer to toddler days??

Re: LO trying to switch to one nap a day already?!

• What time is he waking and what time does he go to bed for the night? If he is sleeping pretty much through the night it is very common to have a short morning nap (eg 30min) and a long afternoon nap as they only need 14/15 hours sleep a day.

Generally babies drop a nap between 14-18 months
    ElleMF728
  • He goes to bed around 10Pm-12am....and wakes up before 5 to eat, then wakes up around 6-7AM...no we aren't getting that 15 hours sleep at all. He's already acting like he doesn't need or want that morning nap! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I do think its more common to stick to two naps until after a year old.  Maybe try keeping him up a bit longer? 20 minutes seems short but 40-60 minutes is a pretty normal 1st nap time around here.  Have you considered a first wake of 2.5 or 3 hours? I know a lot of moms who's LOs do much better with a 3,3,4 or some variation.  

DS2 has a 2,3,4 schedule but it is definitely modified to suit his needs.  He does more of a 2.5,3.5,4.  
  • How come he goes to bed so late? Perhaps he is overtired? For example, my babe wakes at 7 and naps at 9 to 9:30 then from 1-3 then bed at 6:30.  
  • I was thinking that too with the late bedtime because I keep hearing sleep begets sleep. My lo is down shortly after 8 pm and gets up for the day between 7:30 and 8:30. She takes a morning nap 1/2 hr to an hour and a longer afternoon nap. 

Last at week she was really fighting the morning nap, so I wasn't strict about it because she spent most of it playing in her crib anyways, but this week so far she is back to needing it. She's almost 10 months. 
    ElleMF728
  • How come he goes to bed so late? Perhaps he is overtired? For example, my babe wakes at 7 and naps at 9 to 9:30 then from 1-3 then bed at 6:30.  
     He isn't ever crabby or over tired acting. He is so happy and chugs along playing. He sleeps when he's tired. He goes down so easy if he's sleepy!! Lol that is my dream sleep schedule but that just isn't my babies reality. I try everything to get him to sleep earlier. Nothing works. 
  • I have noticed he has awake periods of 5 to 6 hours between naps and bedtime. So if he wakes from nap at 5pm, it will be 11pm before he is sleepy again! It's 11:31 here and he just went to sleep hassle free when he was tired at 11pm. It's rough on me for sure. 
  • ems028ems028 member
    Yeah I think 11pm is too late to go to bed...my LO starts getting tired around 5pm LOL so she has her bath and is usually asleep by 6.30. Then last night she slept until 6am! 

How about you try putting your baby to bed a little bit earlier? Just try...it can't hurt...
    ElleMF728
  • It's crazy how different babies are! Mine would lose the plot if she was kept up until then! What time is his last nap? If you wanted to switch it to maybe keep him up from his last nap for at least two hours then out him down and when he wakes just work on resettling.  It would take a while coz he's probably used to what your doing now, but it could be worth it in the long run.  Sleep is so important for development but they are all different so who knows really! 
  • ems028 said:
    Yeah I think 11pm is too late to go to bed...my LO starts getting tired around 5pm LOL so she has her bath and is usually asleep by 6.30. Then last night she slept until 6am! 

How about you try putting your baby to bed a little bit earlier? Just try...it can't hurt...
    Do you think I haven't tried to put him to bed earlier?! LOL honest question! Who wants their infant up until 10-12 every night?! He won't go to bed. He's happy, awake and up. 
  • I agree this sounds a lot like being overtired.  Not all babies go crazy when they are tired, DS2 handles himself fairly well if he is late on a nap or bedtime but he still needs that sleep.  Babies this age should be getting 12-14 hours of sleep during a 24 hour period.  Most night sleep is typically going to be around 10 hours (I'd argue at least 10 hours). Then naps on top of that.  Overtired babies have a hard time falling asleep which is what I think you might be seeing here.  

Also, right now bedtime is 11pm.  If you're trying to change it by putting LO to bed at 8:30 he is going to have a really hard time.  15 or 30 minute increments is usually pretty effective, sometimes accompanied by waking LO earlier in the morning by the same amount. It doesn't really sound like yours would need that though.  

jen83mn
  • I agree with Livvyloo87's idea of doing something with that last nap of the day. If he naps into the early evening, that's probably why he goes to bed very late. Maybe wake him up after two hours rather than letting him go for three?

And in regards to your original issue, my LO had about a week of bad sleep too, and he is making major strides with finger walking (pun intended), so I'm guessing the only-taking-one-nap is part of a leap, so you may have to wait that out. But I think you can work on getting more nighttime sleep, and maybe the daytime will work itself out.
    ElleMF728
  • jenboston22jenboston22 member
    edited June 2016
    edited: wrong thread!
  • ems028ems028 member
    LoveLee85 said:
    ems028 said:

Do you think I haven't tried to put him to bed earlier?! LOL honest question! Who wants their infant up until 10-12 every night?! He won't go to bed. He's happy, awake and up. 
    Sorry.

Ok..I will ask some more questions (don't be offended) how do you start your routine? Do you have a routine that signals that it's bedtime? Do you turn the lights down low?

Maybe there's too much action for your little one to calm down?