September 2015 Moms

Traveling frustration! Opinions.

Okay, would you pay the money to get a seat for LO? 

I feel feel like if I have to have a seat belt, why on Earth is it okay for my 22 pound infant to NOT have a safety device?? 

May DH thinks I'm mad for wanting to buy LO a seat. I feel like it's like insurance. In the unlikely event that something happens, I have a safty plan. 

Thoughts?? Am I just bring crazy about safty here?! Lol 

Re: Traveling frustration! Opinions.

• If you have the money, a car seat is the safest way for LO. I personally, have not had the money to buy seats for under 2, because we can only afford to travel standby (employee passes) and it's really hard to get multiple seats on the same flight, DH and I split up if we're flying together (we even took different flights to meet up for our honeymoon). For my piece of mind, I keep LO strapped into my chimparoo SSC (like an ergo) during take off, landing, and anytime she's not nursing or being changed. If we hit turbulence or crashed, she would hit the ceiling if not secured (no one is strong enough to hold a child under g forces). The FAA forbids use of carriers during take off and landing, but I just smile and nod and assure the flight attendants I will take her out for those times. Other areas, like in Europe, they require a harness on lap-held infants that loops through the adult's seatbelt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're travelling internationally in September and we're planning on buying a seat for LO. If you can afford it, definitely go for it. It's the safer option.
    bnwillia3
  • Loading the player...
  • I have not and will not buy a seat for DD.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aren't they free until 2..? I haven't travelled in a very long time so maybe this has changed..? 
  • They are free until 2 with a lap ticket, but it is considered safest for lo to be in their own seat in a car seat. We are traveling this summer and bought lo her own seat and will be buying a smaller car seat that fits in it. They have 1 that is under 50.00, I think Cosco makes it?

I personally would never forgive myself if something happened to lo on a flight that could have been prevented if I had bought her her own seat. 
  • We are on vacation right now, and I bought a seat for LO for the 3.5 hr flight.  It is the safest option, and as PP said, I would not be able to forgive myself if something happened.  We did hit some turbulence on our flight, and while most of it was mild, there was one bump that was a little scary and I was glad I had LO in a seat.  He slept most of the way and I was thankful I didn't have to hold him the whole time and was able to have a few hours to read and rest.  If you can afford a seat for LO, I think it is best to go ahead and buy it.
  • If you have the money, a car seat is the safest way for LO. I personally, have not had the money to buy seats for under 2, because we can only afford to travel standby (employee passes) and it's really hard to get multiple seats on the same flight, DH and I split up if we're flying together (we even took different flights to meet up for our honeymoon). For my piece of mind, I keep LO strapped into my chimparoo SSC (like an ergo) during take off, landing, and anytime she's not nursing or being changed. If we hit turbulence or crashed, she would hit the ceiling if not secured (no one is strong enough to hold a child under g forces). The FAA forbids use of carriers during take off and landing, but I just smile and nod and assure the flight attendants I will take her out for those times. Other areas, like in Europe, they require a harness on lap-held infants that loops through the adult's seatbelt.
    My DH kept saying he would wear LO in the ergo....but if that isn't allowed?! I had no idea! Ugh. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    If you have the money, a car seat is the safest way for LO. I personally, have not had the money to buy seats for under 2, because we can only afford to travel standby (employee passes) and it's really hard to get multiple seats on the same flight, DH and I split up if we're flying together (we even took different flights to meet up for our honeymoon). For my piece of mind, I keep LO strapped into my chimparoo SSC (like an ergo) during take off, landing, and anytime she's not nursing or being changed. If we hit turbulence or crashed, she would hit the ceiling if not secured (no one is strong enough to hold a child under g forces). The FAA forbids use of carriers during take off and landing, but I just smile and nod and assure the flight attendants I will take her out for those times. Other areas, like in Europe, they require a harness on lap-held infants that loops through the adult's seatbelt.
    My DH kept saying he would wear LO in the ergo....but if that isn't allowed?! I had no idea! Ugh. 
    In over 30 flights with a baby or toddler on my lap, I've never had a FA hassle me about it. Even when I was right at the back and they could see me. As long as they give instructions and you said yes-their job is complete. They probably assumed she would cry if I moved her, and no one wants to piss off a baby at the start of a flight...
  • TabulaRasa25TabulaRasa25 member
    edited June 2016
    We only do auto and train,  where we use a carseat/front carrier.  On Amtrak, nobody has a seat restraint, and there is no charge for baby passengers.  We just did 1,000 miles by rail this past weekend.  It's great. 
  • I've done 12 flights with LO since he was born and I've only been asked twice to take him out of the carrier on take off. I also have never bought a second seat. Depends on how happy (or sleepy) your baby is in a carseat, but I knew mine would most likely be very unhappy until I took him out, then he'd spend the majority of the time in my lap anyway. We've had mostly great experiences. My last day flying I asked the agent at check in to see if he could switch my seat and he actually put me in a row all by ourselves because of the baby, which was amazing. Never hurts to ask when you get there! My husband is a pilot and even though safety is always a concern I give him final say on the risk vs money factor in this situation. If he's comfortable with it then I am okay. 
    LoveLee85vibarra27
  • I've been on a grand total of 2 flights, so my sample size is tiny, but in one I was asked to remove baby from his carrier. Another mom tried to appeal to safety and the flight attendant actually told her that if she did not remove baby, they would have to ask her to leave the plane before takeoff. I'm not sure what they would have done if she had strapped him back in during takeoff.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Just wanted to mention that some airlines allow you to purchase seats for infants under 2 at a reduced price.  I know Southwest Airlines is one of them (you have to call to make the reservation though, it's not an option of booking online).  If you decide to purchase a seat you might want to look into which airlines will give you a reduced airfare and book through them.
    booksandcleverness81
  • Just wanted to mention that some airlines allow you to purchase seats for infants under 2 at a reduced price.  I know Southwest Airlines is one of them (you have to call to make the reservation though, it's not an option of booking online).  If you decide to purchase a seat you might want to look into which airlines will give you a reduced airfare and book through them.
    Thank you. I did look into this but southwest doesn't come anywhere near the airports we use. Bummer. American and Delta don't offer anything like that, I even called to check. 

• Lizlann said:
    I've been on a grand total of 2 flights, so my sample size is tiny, but in one I was asked to remove baby from his carrier. Another mom tried to appeal to safety and the flight attendant actually told her that if she did not remove baby, they would have to ask her to leave the plane before takeoff. I'm not sure what they would have done if she had strapped him back in during takeoff.
    Did the flight attendant ever say why they don't allow it? My luck, we will be told that and I'll freak out. LOL 
  • edited June 2016
    LoveLee85 said:

Lizlann said:
    I've been on a grand total of 2 flights, so my sample size is tiny, but in one I was asked to remove baby from his carrier. Another mom tried to appeal to safety and the flight attendant actually told her that if she did not remove baby, they would have to ask her to leave the plane before takeoff. I'm not sure what they would have done if she had strapped him back in during takeoff.
    Did the flight attendant ever say why they don't allow it? My luck, we will be told that and I'll freak out. LOL 
    They said it was FAA regulation. They also said the reason behind it is because if there is a crash they don't want baby pinned down by and strapped to an unconscious mom. I don't really know which is worse - that or potentially letting baby go flying because mom isn't able to hold on.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Lizlann said:
    LoveLee85 said:

Lizlann said:
    They said it was FAA regulation. They also said the reason behind it is because if there is a crash they don't want baby pinned down by and strapped to an unconscious mom. I don't really know which is worse - that or potentially letting baby go flying because mom isn't able to hold on.
    It is an FAA regulation, but like I said above, Europe has an opposite rule. The flight attendants just have to follow rules of the region they're working in. I would take out the baby, demonstrate the correct hold they want you to use, and then strap baby in again once they go away. If they come again, repeat. Tell them she's happier in the carrier, but you will take baby out when required-but then just don't do it. The FAs will be strapped into their seats for those times, so they can't see you, and probably don't care anyway, just doing their jobs.
    LoveLee85FatPony
  • It is much more comfortable for the parents and LO if they have their own seat with their car seat. They are more likely to sleep and you have a place to put LO so you aren't holding a wiggly baby for the whole flight. It is expensive though!
  • If you can afford it, I would buy the seat for your LO. It is safer and the baby will be much more comfortable in their own seat, especially if it's on a long flight. We just flew to the Dominican Republic from Florida, my husband didn't want to spend the extra money. Luckily, we only had mild turbulence that DD seemed to think was fun, but I was a nervous wreck the whole time! 
  • We cheated the system by sheer accident. We booked my boy as an infant since the website wouldn't allow us a seat for an under 2. We then called up and they allowed us a full seat for half price!
  • JessicaS0914JessicaS0914 member
    edited June 2016
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you at all have the means to buy a second seat for baby, do it.  It is not safe to fly with a child in your lap.  Even in an ergo, your lap is the least safe place for your baby.  It is only still permitted because of the airline lobby.  I used to work in an airline's corporate office and travelled very frequently. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/perils-of-carrying-kids-in-your-lap-on-planes/

https://youtu.be/q88O3ugSjnU  
  • Nirolosa said:
    We cheated the system by sheer accident. We booked my boy as an infant since the website wouldn't allow us a seat for an under 2. We then called up and they allowed us a full seat for half price!
    Just curious what airline? Only a few do infant full seat rates!! 
  • If your flight isn't full, they will often let you bring the carseat on for free if you ask nicely.  I'm an fa.  If it were my flight, I would have to ask you to take the baby out of any carrier for takeoff.  We often have inspectors on our flights ensuring we enforce regulations.  However, as some others have mentioned,once the fa is strapped in, there's really nothing they can do.