November 2015 Moms

Nanny problems

Anyone else have trouble hiring a good nanny? I am about to fire my second one. The two I had hired seemed good and came with recommendations but spent nearly all their time on the their phones, while ignoring my son. I work from home and so I am here and the other day I heard my son crying on and off, slowly getting more and more agitated and I went into the kitchen to find him sitting in the high chair with a biscuit while she had clearly been texting the whole time. It had been about 45 minutes. I find it outrageous that she would plop him in the high chair for no other reason than to text. 

I am going to hire a new nanny and tell her from the get go that when he is awake I expect her to put her phone away and if I find it her on it she's fired. I don't want to be such a hard ass but the people I hired don't seem to be able to be reasonable with their phone usage. Do you think I am being too tough? How do you all manage this?

Re: Nanny problems

• doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited June 2016
    I don't have a nanny, but I don't think you're being too tough at all. It wouldn't be tolerated at any other job. You're not paying them to play on their phone.

edited for clarity
  • I agree, if it's their job then they have a responsibility to put away personal items and focus on the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think its ok to be able to check their phone from time to time. Just like any other job you would get a break. But yes, make it clear  from the beginning that she is there to take care and spend time with the baby
  • PocoHRPocoHR member
    @missphil that is the approach I wanted to take but both nannies have really gone overboard. He always naps when the nanny is here and I have said they can do what they please when he's asleep, but apparently it's not enough. I don't know, a no phone policy seems to be the only way to make it clear ☹️