Infertility

Zero Sperm Count and DH put on Clomid (off label)

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the community, but basically...DH and I were told last November 2015 that he had a zero sperm count (after trying to conceive for 14 months at that time). We got referred to a urologist. After a few blood tests she determined that he had low testosterone. She put him on Clomid for 3 months. It is supposed to increase his testosterone level and consequently start sperm production. It has been 3 months now. He has his SA (semen analysis) this Wednesday. I am so scared of getting bad results. We plan to do IVF, so any number above 0 will be an improvement. It is now more than 20 months since we started TTC and I am looking forward to finally getting to the next stage of our journey, but terrified that the news will be the same...a big fat 0! :( Has anyone else gone through this or something similar? Please, I welcome your thoughts. 

Re: Zero Sperm Count and DH put on Clomid (off label)

• Sorry you find yourself here. DH and I were faced the same challenge as you. After 3 months of Clomid it was still 0. He had the Micro TESE surgery and got vials worth of sperm. *TW* We're currently 13 weeks pregnant after our 1st round of IVF + ICSI. Anything is possible. Best of luck to you.
    ****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • my DH's first urologist did a biopsy and then put him on clomid, then went straight to donor when we only had a low count and a mishandled first SA. stupid me let them die on the trip in b/c i wasn't aware they needed to be kept on your body. i recommend a second opinion. second urologist explained that SA can vary greatly so you cant always rely on one SA.  Second urologist gave us the hope we needed.  you only need one good sperm to make a baby so fx
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • RB1234RB1234 member
    capps42613
    I'm so happy for you! Congrats on the pregnancy news! So, what did your urologist say as far as the likelihood of finding sperm through tese (considering his other samples continued at 0)? Did you guys feel optimistic at that point?

rmarble23
    I'm sorry to hear about the SA being mishandled. FeeDid your donor work out?
  • RB1234RB1234 member
    capps42613
    I'm so happy for you! Congrats on the pregnancy news! So, what did your urologist say as far as the likelihood of finding sperm through tese (considering his other samples continued at 0)? Did you guys feel optimistic at that point?

rmarble23
    I'm sorry to hear about the SA being mishandled. Did your donor work out? We are still not sure if we would do sperm donor, but we have definitely talked about it. 
  • @ro8185 we didn't go with a donor waiting on our first ET on Saturday which we have 6 fertilized but that's what pissed us off with the first urologist he jumped right to the extreme without taking into account the fact he did have a small amount of sperm so we just made sure we had a good frozen sample 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • kfraskfras member
    Please share when you receive results - I am hoping for good things for you! Last April 2015 we got diagnosis that my husband's sperm count was zero. It was heartbreaking. He was put on meds (not clomid but something else) to increase testosterone production. We were hoping it was a blockage but found out he was born XXY. He has a testicular biopsy scheduled the day before my egg retrieval so we are hoping for the best and that they will find something to work with. If nt we have a donor for plan B. Rmarble23 - so sorry to hear about sperm dy
  • kfraskfras member
    sorry I got cut off -

...dying. If they find anything from DH's biopsy I will be in charge of transporting to fertility office and I am a nervous wreck. 
  • @Ro8185 urologist gave us a 50% chance of finding anything during the procedure. He said either he has them, or he doesn't. Luckily they only had to go in one testical to find them and not both. He had no genetic issues to cause this, or no blockage. The doctor just contributed it to have such a decreased sperm count & that there wasn't enough of them, or they arent strong enough to come out on their own.
    ****Siggy TW****
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • RB1234RB1234 member
    Hi ladies. Unfortunately, second SA showed zero sperm again, even after 3 months of Clomid. :( This past week has been so difficult. Lots of crazy emotions for my DH and myself. Now we are trying to start a little research on TESE/TESA as well as using donor sperm. Do you ladies know anyone that has gone through with either the sperm extraction or using donor sperm? I feel so lost. It is unbelievable how much you realize you want something until you are told you cannot have it. It feels as is something anyone out there can do (get pregnant) is the most impossible thing for us to do. 
  • RB1234RB1234 member
    @kfras
    So, even if you don't know exactly what will occur at biopsy, you can still start egg collection and IVF process? How did you find out at the XXY?
  • @Ro8185 sorry to hear :disappointed: DH went through the micro TESE procedure. It took him about a year to commit to it and I tried not to push him to do it. He wasn't sure at that point if he wanted to hear that he CANNOT have kids. Luckily he went through it and was successful. Donor sperm was not an option in his book. Hope my info was somewhat helpful...
    ****Siggy TW****
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • RB1234RB1234 member
    capps42613
    Thanks for your feedback. Your info gives me hope. I'm so happy that everything worked out for you. I want to be in your shoes already! :(:);) But gosh, you waited an entire year? How did you handle it? I don't want to push him either, but after about 2 yrs of ttc, I don't know if I can handle a third one without ttc. I know others have gone through much more...sigh... 
  • kfraskfras member
    RB1234 - we found out hubby was xxy through a blood test. It was suspected by the fertility dr when his sperm count came back zero that it was either a blockage or something else. Even though it was difficult to cope with, I think it helped a little knowing that it was nothing he did just something he was born with. We are going through with IVF process and they are doing the testicular biopsy because the urologist said there's a 50% chance there can be sperm in the early stages of development still in the testicle. If there is nothing that they are able to harvest from the biopsy we will use a donor which we have on standby. For us it has also been a year since we found out. Our year has consisted mostly of weighing our options, choosing a donor, meeting with the therapist they recommended etc. You may not need a year - it was really about timing for us and making sure it was the right time for me to be able to go on hormones and everything also. I understand what you mean - after already ttc for two years it's tough to think you could be waiting even longer to begin your family. Keep your head up! 
  • @RB1234 does the urologist have any idea what's causing the zero sperm count? Have they checked for any blockages? My husband has a sperm extraction (MESA procedure) due to him having an incomplete vas deferens. He has cystic fibrosis and 98% of men with this disease have this condition so we had known all along that he would need surgery. Has he had a genetic test? I've heard stories of men that are just CF gene carriers having the same issue. Best of luck, I hope you two get some answers. And just remember it really does just take a few sperm!
    ***pregnancy mentioned***

Me: 27/ DH: 29
    Dx:  obstructive azoospermia 
    IVF#1:  October 2015
    10/7/2015:  ER  11 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI
    10/12/2015:  Transferred 5AA and 4AA blasts, froze one 4AA and 4BB
    Beta #1 9dp5dt:  122!!! BFP!
    Singleton, due June 2016

• RB1234RB1234 member
    So, after talking over with DH, we are coming to the conclusion that donor will be necessary if we want to expand our family. Anyone know of anyone that has done IUI with donor sperm?

You guys are awesome with your well-though-out replies on this thread. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
  • @RB1234 I don't have experience with anyone using donor sperm with IUI, but I have heard of some women using donor sperm for IVF through this app & have had success. Wishing you the best. 
    ****Siggy TW****
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • ***TW****

@RB1234 I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a friend who's husband had 0 sperm count. Due to the cost of the sperm- they wanted to increase their chances and go straight for IVF and now have a beautiful baby boy. They were also able to have some more of that same donors sperm frozen/kept for when they're ready for number 2. They want the same donor. 
    **TW**
    Me: 31, DH:33
    TTC since October 2015: MFI
    Summer 2016: 3 IUI's: BFN
    October 2016: Switched RE's and began IVF cycle 
    December 2016: Retrieved 13 eggs, 12 mature, 9 fertilized with ICSI. 5 day ET of 2 blasts with 4 frosites left. BFP!!!! EDD: 8/30/2017 
    August 25, 2017: It's a Girl!!
    April 12, 2019: FET, BFP!!! Baby BOY EDD: 12/29/2019