Infertility

Severe OHSS- is it ever going to end?

cricci05cricci05 member
edited May 2016 in Infertility
I had egg retrieval on 5/16 and I've felt sickest I've ever been in my life since. I had really bad pain and bloating which was manageable but at day 10 post retrieval I was up 11lbs, vomiting, blacking out, and ended up in the ER. They did not know what to do for me so I ended up calling the surgical center where I had egg retrieval and they did a paracentesis on Friday draining 4 liters from my abdomen! I felt so much relief and was so happy until Saturday night where the vomiting and pain started again. I had another paracentesis on Sunday draining another 3300ml. I saw my RE today and he said I should be turning a corner soon but as the day is going on I am feeling worse and worse. I am afraid I will need a third paracentesis tomorrow! Has this happened to anyone before? In the mix of all this I have been getting positive beta HCGs that are rising every day which is amazing but I'm in so much pain I feel like I can't even take it all in yet. I'm so sad and discouraged with this complication I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to get through it and when will I find relief? I am afraid to keep taking zofran due to birth defects but I'm so dehydrated, and I'm trying so hard to not take the pain pills but then the pain makes me black out. It's so terrible, looking for support and advice. 

Re: Severe OHSS- is it ever going to end?

• vssbrmvssbrm member
    I am so sorry you are going through this, I had mild OHSS (did not req draining) it lasted about 7-9 days. It was miserable but nothing as horrible as yours sounds. Stay hydrated, lots of rest, do not do anything you are not supposed to ( I over did it and set myself back. It will get better, but in the mean time make sure you are getting the medical attention you need as soon as you do. I hope you get relief soon. And FX you BFP is the real thing!!!!
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • cmm012cmm012 member
    Hello and congrats on your positive betas!  Unfortunately, pregnancy makes OHSS worse.  I has a moderate case of it after my egg retrieval, and my doc delayed my embryo transfer by a month for this very reason.  You will probably need to have repeat fluid drainings for a little while longer.  I had one so I know what that's like.  I'm so sorry.  Here is a link to a you tube video for a couple who experienced OHSS while pregnant.  I hope you find it helpful.  I watched it, and found it helpful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MURqusTKsmw
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Loading the player...
  • it's been 1 week of it being severe so hopefully I'm turning a page. I'll have to take a peak at that video. I am headed back to the surgical center for assessment if I need another paracentesis today. My pain was really bad last night. Hoping resolution is near
  • cmm012cmm012 member
    I hope so too. I think the woman in the video said hers lasted for about a week.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Omfg, your symptoms sound horrible!!! I really hope you feel better soon lady
  • I hope that you're feeling some relief after your appointment this morning. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• I had another 2500mls drained today and I am feeling comfortable finally! I hope it lasts! They said I should be feeling better after this. I am still so bloated because my ovaries are very large. But I can breath and feel less depressed now that I'm comfortable. The ultrasound tech said my ovaries are "kissing" they are so swollen. I am resting up today and hoping for the best. I'd love to be able to celebrate my pregnancy this weekend since we haven't had a chance to even breath yet. Feeling hopeful for the first time in over a week! Thanks for the support. We will see what the next few days bring!