January 2017 Moms
Options

Fitness Routine

I am starting this pregnancy with an extra 15lbs than my last pregnancy. I've always struggled with weight and was very cautious with my first pregnancy, gaining only the recommended amount. After I had my son, NOTHING came off...just started really working at it a few months ago.

I want to continue with exercising throughout my pregnancy to ensure I don't gain too much and hopefully, the exercise will help me drop once I have the baby. I'm just nervous that I can't do certain things. Most articles I read said you should be able to keep up with most fitness routines within reason. I've done personal training for the last 4 weeks and want to keep up with it. My trainer is a female who has been pregnant, so I'm confident she knows the do's and dont's.  

I don't see a doctor until 6/22. Did anyone get feedback from their doctors regarding exercise? Anything I should stay away from?

Re: Fitness Routine

• Options
    This isn't super helpful but with my first my doctor basically said don't try and break any personal records but you can maintain what you did before for the most part. I'd be cautious of biking and anything with lots of moving in fast motions after the first trimester though. 
  • Options

I spoke with my OB on the phone as well as done extra research online. She said I can keep up with my regular routine, but basically like @emilyn2012 said, don't push yourself too much. My OB told me to try and keep my heart rate from exceeding 150 (I'm used to working up to about 185), and use the "conversation" method. If you get out of breath to the point where you would not be able to hold a conversation, then that's too much.(For me that's getting my heart rate to about 160/165.)

Most of all, listen to your body. I can still finish with a pretty satisfying workout but not feel completely drained or too hot. I also make sure I have a fan on full blast.

Hope that helped!

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started spotting.  The doctor thinks it may be from working out too hard.  A week later and I'm still spotting. I saw a regular MD because I went in without and appointment and saw the first person available.  She said I should just walk or swim and don't push it at all or do anything jarring.

its not worth it to me.  I'm going to be a couch potato until I see a heartbeat.  Then I will call casual strolls my workout routine.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Tally06Tally06 member
    I continued running long distances, taking yoga, going to the gym and weight training through my pregnancies and was encouraged to do so my doctor. I felt great and had no issues. I am doing the same this go around.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll go back to running the moment my OB clears me but with twins I won't likely be able to keep it up the entire pregnancy either way. I'll still get my cardio on the elliptical or swimming. I'll keep up my lifting and yoga for sure. 

I havent been been able to do much with how sick I've been (m/s is the worst) but I'm counting down to second tri when hopefully I'll be feeling better and can get back to it!
  • Options
    Has anyone started any fitness routines or had the strength energy to start?

I really want to get back into the gym. Fingers crossed I get back in today :)
  • Options
    I worked out about 4 times per week prior to pregnancy and my OB said it was fine to continue exercising like I did before. However, I have not felt up to it at all so it's been 3 weeks since I've been to the gym. I used to lift weights and do spin classes (which my doc said was great, because it's a low-impact exercise and it's safer because the bike is stationary) and I plan to continue doing those as soon as this morning sickness/fatigue subsides. However, the few times I've done some bodyweight exercises at home, I've experienced shortness of breath and dizziness, so I stopped. Definitely listen to your body! Even a short walk several times a week will be beneficial.
    Me & DH: Late 20's
    Together: 10 years, Married: 3 years
    TTC #1: January 2016
    BFP!!! 5/6/2016
    EDD: 1/10/2017
    It's a girl! <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Emerald24 I couldn't agree with you more. I am going through workout withdrawals but can not make myself get up and go to the gym. The MS is tough.

What week are you at?
  • Options
    @bundleoffund I'm right there with you. This summer was going to be our "getting in shape summer" for my husband and me. We had joined the gym, and he got a personal trainer. I'm just doing classes and basic cardio stuff. We had been at it about a month and bam I'm pregnant.

I have only gone to my first visit with the nurse so far. She asked about exercise yesterday, and I told her what I'm doing. I plan to talk to the doctor about it when I see her next week. My fatigue hasn't been quite as bad this pregnancy, so I'm hoping I can keep up low-intensity workouts throughout. I didn't gain a lot of weight with my last pregnancy, but I went in overweight. I started about the same weight with this one as last time. So, weight is something I always struggle with and try to keep down. Ugh. 
  • Options
    JLJ2012JLJ2012 member
    edited June 2016
    @knottie1443924966, I am back at it this week. Tried to maintain something the last 2 weeks, but really only got in 2 workouts each week. MS was bad, but seems to be easing up now that I am past 9 weeks.  This week I am back to running and doing yoga, which is my norm.  Did we lose our fitness check in? I know MS makes it tough to workout, but I have found that I actually feel better after working out.
    DS1: 9/29/12
    DS2: 11/5/14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Knottie1443924966 glad to know I'm not the only one who's fallen off the gym bandwagon and desperately wants to get back on! I am 9 weeks today. Every day I try to motivate myself thinking this is the day I'll exercise again, but by the time the evening comes around (when I have time to exercise), I am completely beat. I'm trying to at least walk a little bit every day but even that's hard. Now I'm afraid by the time I get the energy to hit the gym again, I'll have totally regressed and lost all my strength and stamina. Womp Womp.
    Me & DH: Late 20's
    Together: 10 years, Married: 3 years
    TTC #1: January 2016
    BFP!!! 5/6/2016
    EDD: 1/10/2017
    It's a girl! <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I already had a nice gym routine and I'm hoping to continue it. I've been so incredibly tired lately. It's super hard to go, but once I get there and get started I just get in that get it done mode. Ugh.
  • Options
    My doc said to continue working out as normal.  Just be cautious.  If you feel light headed or dizzy then take it easy.  I've still been trying to get my 5 workouts a week in.  This morning was rough - I felt like I was moving through molasses and wasn't even pushing myself as hard as usual!  Even taking it a bit easier is better than nothing though (for me).  Everyone should listen to their own body regardless.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started jazzercising in late December and I love it!  Since I'd been doing it over 4 months when I got pregnant, the doctor said I could continue as normal.  I've still been going almost as often (not this week...I don't want to lose my cookies in front of a bunch of ladies who wouldn't know why!) but I just make sure I don't go crazy and overdo it.  Your body will tell you!  I make sure I can breathe well and stay hydrated.
  • Options
    Every day I find myself saying "oh thank goodness for this board." Have been wanting to get back into my routine but the m/s has been tough. I haven't felt completely wiped out fatigue wise yet (afraid that is coming next) but I have definitely been letting myself sleep in versus getting up early to work out. My reasoning is that when I'm sleeping then I'm not nauseous! Hoping this will settle out in coming weeks and I can return to light running, weight training, and swimming. Always thought I would be eating only salads, fruits, and veggies and being active every day, and instead the past week has been gingerale, crackers, and sleep! 
    Erin - Boston, MA 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm trying to do a workout class (either easy or hard, lots of yoga) every day, knowing i'll not be successful certain days due to fatigue (omg its bad) or ms. working out doesn't make me feel better or worse. but sometimes finding the motivation to go is just too difficult. 
  • Options
    I'm jumping back in today. I've put workouts on hold until I felt comfortable with everything  being okay. I don't think workouts had anything to do with my last MC's, but I didn't want to chance it. To the elliptical I go today! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to getting back to doing the Pop Pilates! Right now I just haven't felt up to it. Hopefully in the next couple weeks after we get my nieces and nephew back home and baseball for the boys are over I won't feel so run down and can jump back in.
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    The elliptical is great! With my daughter my doctors said to try not to exceed 150 heart rate. The elliptical keeps me right there. I have heard it is fine to maintain your regular routine as long as you listen to your body and I totally buy into that but I still try to keep my doctor's advice in mind just in case. 
  • Options
    Yesterday I just did 30 min on the treadmill at a slight incline, enough to keep my HB about 120 (I have a very low low, natural resting HR). I may hop onto the elliptical today. Previously I did a lot of yoga, but I think I'll wait to work that back in during my 2nd trimester. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Options
    I asked my doctor about working out. I stopped my regular jogging/walking when I found out I was pregnant because I wasn't sure if I could continue and also I felt awful. He said I could do anything I want as far as working out just to be sure I was breathing fairly normal. He told me my body will let me know when I'm pushing it. So now going into my 2nd trimester, I'm kicking the exercise back in as I want to be sure I maintain my health and wealth during and after pregnancy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Made it out into the pool first thing this morning for a couple laps!! I was so happy to be moving my body again. MS really kicked my butt.

I took advantage of feeling good and hit the eliptical for 30 min with some legs workout.

But then the rest of the day was spent on the sofa bc I was BEAT!! 

Anyone else experiencing extreme exhaustion after working out?