September 2016 Moms
Options

Quick advice re: Glucose test, please!

Hey friends, apologies for making a new thread, but if I ended up pulling an all-nighter for work after traveling all weekend, should I take my glucose test or reschedule? Obviously, I would want to know if I had gestational diabetes, but I have a strong interest in not taking the three hour test, which sounds heinous, if I do not have to. 

Any advice for not messing up your glucose test and needing to take it again? I know not to eat sugar the morning of the test. Water is okay, right? Thoughts?

Re: Quick advice re: Glucose test, please!

• Options
    Agreed. You don't need to fast for the 1 hour test, eat as normal (avoiding anything high in simple sugar immediately before) and focus more on proteins if you'll be up for a long time before it.  The thing is.. you can't really cheat the 1 hour glucose test, and you honestly don't want to. The 3 hour test is unpleasant but if you have gestational diabetes you want to know.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with all the above. Just adding... how soon would you be able to reschedule if your pushed it back due to the traveling and an all nighter? I could be wrong on this, but I seem to remember being told in the class I took for my GD that sleep could affect your sugar levels. Granted, that may just be if you are diabetic. I'd ask you OB if they think it could have an impact on your results, and if it is worth rescheduling. FWIW, if it was just pushing it back a couple days, I would do it just so I didn't have to deal with a long appt and blood draw on such little sleep.

• Options
    jas1982jas1982 member
    Thanks all - I went ahead and took it, I will just cross my fingers that everything went however it was supposed to go. I definitely did notice a spike in my blood pressure which I think is related to not sleeping, and I have read that glucose levels are affected by not sleeping also. Again, I would obviously want to know if I had GD, but I don't think anyone wants to spike their blood sugar before or during the test! 
  • Options
    Update: I failed by a level of 138 (130) is their threshold. They also tested me a few minutes early, cause the phlebotomist was going to lunch. The doc said I probably do not have GD but have to take the three hour test anyway... in retrospect, I should have rescheduled :p