December 2016 Moms

2nd Trimester nursery work!

Hi ladies! 

Most of us are going into our second trimester soon if we aren't there already, who is already starting work on their nursery? What are you guys doing? Let's post progress photos as our nursery progresses! 

I love home renovating and decor (Homegoods is my happy place) Next week we are having the walls in the nursery smoothed down, they have a texture to them, and painted pale grey from the restoration hardware nursery collection. We are hoping to keep the nursery as gender neutral as possible so even though we plan on finding out the sex, we can reuse it for our next baby who we hope to come soon after this first one. Just change out the details and decor if the sex is different second time around. 

Re: 2nd Trimester nursery work!

• em01092em01092 member
    @Jdlc1991

I don't think we'll be doing much until end of June or early July. We still have so much junk in ours. It's daunting. We were using that bedroom as a storage space, so one of these days we've got to throw that crap out or move it to the basement. We also plan to get a new roof and new flooring before December. Help. lol 

I hear you on keeping it gender neutral though. We're the same way. The walls are already a dark grey, but it needs another coat of paint. I plan to buy all white furniture and decorate with light/baby blue accents - nothing on the walls or anything, but just  you know around the room. This way we can reuse the room for another kid or anything really. 
    December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker

• @em01092 I feel you on the junk in the soon to be nursery! Ours was our spare bedroom/ extra decor we aren't using room. We just got it cleaned out early because I start law school in August and I can't imagine doing home renovating while going to law school 4 nights a week an hours drive from home. (Yikes) If not I'm sure end of June/July would have been our goal too.

New roof and new floors sounds like you guys have a serious job in front of you! Hopefully it will go smooth and without any bumps! I am keeping you in my thoughts with that! Lol. It will be much easier getting it done without the baby around though, might as well do it all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • What will be the babies room is currently a guest room/storage room. We only have 3 bedrooms - the master, this guest and a room we consider an office. I was hoping we could move by then, but that will not be in the foreseeable future.

So, we have a TON of stuff to go through before it can be just for the baby. The closets are full of coats/sweatshirts that don't fit into other closets. It also stores some other stuff too. The bed that's in there is actually my SIL's, so we will give that back to her as they are moving their oldest to a bed soon. There is a dresser, but it matches what is in our bedroom (a set handed down from MANY of DH's family members - that I hope someday we can get rid of). I am trying to convince him to get something that matches the crib we'll eventually get, but not sure that will work. If all else fails, it can be stored at his dad's office for the time being.

It has a ledge that goes around most of the room that has some paintings I've done in those drink/paint events... so those will have to find homes and we don't have the wall space. We still have a ton of wedding gifts that we never found homes for (like wall shelves, frames, decorative items, etc)... so we'll have to decide if we'll keep or just donate/sell. It just needs to be cleaned out, and I am sure we'll tackle that more towards the end of summer. Maybe. DH is a pretty motivated person in life, so I could see it happening sooner than later - especially once the bed goes.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't decide which room to turn into the nursery. We could do the office or the guest room. Dh wants to just change the guest room to the nursery and leave the office alone. I'm not really sure what I want to do. And either way we have so much stuff to clean out! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our "nursery" is currently our cats room and furniture storage. I have anxiety just thinking about having all the furniture removed. 
    ****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • We're keeping ds in the bigger room so it's not as many transitions for him. The smaller spare room will need cleaned out and crap moved to other places. My bed from when I lived alone is headed to my mom's, dh's dresser full of workout clothes will go in the laundry room hopefully, or it will become ds;s dresser to match his twin bed, and the long dresser in his room that matches the crib will act as the changing table/dresser in the new nursery. My wedding dress is in there too and needs cleaned and preserved, plus teh dog crate is in there too. Ugh. It's a you are my sunshine theme I think- white, aqua, and yellow coloring and keeping in neutral.

And @ErikandAfton our dogs are seriously twins.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • JEM525JEM525 member
    I got my Nursary preped and painted before we got pregnant because DS room never was finished until he was one so I was on the ball with this one. Once we find out the sex we will make his/her quilt, sheets, curtains, mobile, and wall decor. I'll be excited to post pictures when we complete each project! Love Nursary photos.
  • Our nursery is currently FI's game room. I don't want to up-end his space, but we both know that baby needs space too. There's an old box TV in there that hasn't been turned on in a while, board games, his Nintendo 64 and the games for that, a futon, etc. I want to move most of it out to the living room. The box TV and futon we really don't need, and we could sell them and put that money back into the nursery or stocking up on diapers or something. We can't change much about the room because we're renting. It's mostly just clearing the space out, making room in the closets, deep cleaning before we move nursery furniture in, etc. We are keeping everything gray and white for now, and we'll pick our accent color when we know the sex. We want it to be pretty gender neutral, but pink is my absolute favorite color, so if LO is a girl I don't know how I'll resist putting some pink in the nursery.
  • We're hoping to buy a house next spring so unfortunately we won't be planning much for a nursery until then.  The baby will probably sleep in our room for a few months and then it will practically be time to move.  Also, our extra room is filled with mostly storage (wedding present, etc) that will have to stay there until we move.  So we'll probably just move the crib and other necessities in and hold off on everything else.
  • dmontgodmontgo member
    We cleaned out our old office to make it the nursery, since the guest bedroom has a queen bed and furniture and I'm not sure where we'd put it. If we have a girl that would be great because we can slap some waterproof linings on it and we could let her use it...saves us a nice chunk o' change until she's old enough to where she cares about her furniture.

We're slowly buying nursery stuff--I would really like to be done with it by the end of the second trimester. It's a gender neutral Woodland theme, which I'm excited about. We've picked out all of the furniture already, and I'm excited for it to come together! There is going to be a reading nook/teepee/fort that I just LOVE.
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    The room we will use currently holds our treadmill. The plan is to move it into our room, but I'm in no rush because then it means I won't be able to use it in the mornings when DH is still sleeping. 

But I'm keeping my eyes out for curtains and a rug I like, as those can go in now. I'm pretty minimalist and a terrible decorator (despite best efforts), so there probably won't be much going in there anyways.
  • Our nursery was my "second closet" room so there was a lot to clean out. It's nearly ready for paint, just need to remove a dresser. We won't know the gender until July, but the room will be painted green regardless. Here are the two color palettes we are using depending on baby's sex.

Me:27   H:30
    Till death do us part: 7.2.2011
    Trying to conceive since 01.2014
    Low AFC and azoospermia
    IVF #1 03.2016 - BFP 03.28.2016
    Due: 12.05.2016

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • No nursery yet. My DH is having a hard time giving up his office, LOL. We can't give up the guest room, since all my family lives out of state and they need somewhere to sleep when they visit when the baby comes.

I promised myself I wouldn't do anything to buy or decorate until my second trimester, but I did get a good deal on a baby changing table and shelf, so that is the only thing I've gotten so far.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • I cleared out the closet, built a storage system in there, went through old baby's stuff, and organized the closet. The bed has been moved into my parents shed lol. Still lots of work to do though. Painting starts this weekend. It will still be my sewing room for a few months after its painted. 

Theme is star wars....but we can't agree on furniture yet at all. We are trying to get a lot done before DH goes back to school in August. Otherwise we would wait longer. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• karmbakarmba member
    Our nursery is currently my catch all room.  I have a desk I don't use, a sewing machine I don't use and a big ikea shelving unit full of yarn.  We need to sell an elliptical that is taking up space in our bedroom so I can move the desk in there and make it a vanity/makeup area.  Then we need to figure out where to put the yarn cabinet and clean out the closet.  We have a busy June and July so this probably won't realistically happen until late July or early August.

I have no idea what to do about decor, I'm sort of biding my time until the anatomy scan.  My mom is going to buy a crib and MIL is going to buy a dresser, so we're grateful for that!

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Unless we move this little one will be sharing a room with us for quite awhile and then eventually share a room with DD. While there is nothing wrong with siblings sharing rooms, I think everyone would get more sleep for the first year of so if this LO had their own room... I hope we move lol

your nursery idea sounds super cute! @dmontgo
  • We're keeping ds in the bigger room so it's not as many transitions for him. The smaller spare room will need cleaned out and crap moved to other places. My bed from when I lived alone is headed to my mom's, dh's dresser full of workout clothes will go in the laundry room hopefully, or it will become ds;s dresser to match his twin bed, and the long dresser in his room that matches the crib will act as the changing table/dresser in the new nursery. My wedding dress is in there too and needs cleaned and preserved, plus teh dog crate is in there too. Ugh. It's a you are my sunshine theme I think- white, aqua, and yellow coloring and keeping in neutral.

Awe they are! Mines a mini doxie, is that what your's is ?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • emisiemisi member
    Most of the work I need to do right now is with DS's new room.  He's going to move out of the nursery and into his new big boy room, so I need to get all the junk we're still storing in there from when it was our family room out and put up some pictures.  I've been planning to do this for a few months now, haha.
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Here is my before ladies! Don't mind the paint swatch, that's the future color of the nursery. 
  • aevan011aevan011 member
    edited June 2016
    We have a guest room and an office but the office is opposite side of house from our room. The guest room will eventually become the baby's room but right now it's DH's dressing room/ "please don't wake the wife up by getting dressed before dawn" room. Honestly, we will probably wait until the baby is a month or two old to convert it to nursery, as all of our family is out of state and will probably want to visit early on. It'll just be easier to have baby in our room at first and guests in the other room rather than a futon in the office or on our couch right outside our bedroom. 
    Does this seem unrealistic to anyone? We would have purchased all the furniture and set up some in our room (we have lots of space, plenty for a crib, dresser, and rocker). 

ETA: after re-reading posts I see some of you ladies are also planning to keep baby in your room for a bit. So I guess that was a dumb question and it must be do-able.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @aevan011 I definitely don't see any issue with baby being kept in the parents' room for the first couple of months. I've read that it reduces SIDS, and also for any breastfeeding mamas I can imagine that middle of the night feedings are a lot easier with baby in the same room. We'll be doing that until we get our routine down, but FI still really wants a finished nursery so that we aren't having to worry about it later, and baby can take naps in there during the day.
  • @ashleaf2018 DH wants a nursery too. Part of the "fun" I guess. When we moved in we painted the guest room a really nice blue and even if we have a girl I do not intend on changing it. So I guess at least all we will have to do is decorate and move furniture. Hoping DH does not fight me on painting though!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @aevan011 I plan on keeping baby in my room for a good long while as well, we are getting the halo bassinet for our bedroom. We just want to have the room done so that there is no painting/craziness going on in the house when the baby is ready to move into its room, and so that we have a nice set up to organize all of baby's things. But yea, I think we are all for the most part planning on cohabiting for a while :) 
  • We're building a house and will be moving about 3-5 months after baby comes. I'll probably just set up a little "nursery" next to our bed and keep the baby in with is until after the move. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• R0824HR0824H member
    We have a couple renovations going on before we can get to that, I think I may be the only one that thinks this is too early?? I'm also a bit of a procrastinator. That and we don't find out until July and that will then indicate the colors/themes we will be using. I have a pinterest board made of options so when the time comes I'll revisit it.
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Haven't done any work on the nursery yet but it's because we move June 24th so I won't be able to touch the nursery until then. But I can't wait to start!! We're moving to the country and we're going to keep with that theme. If it's a boy were going to keep the walls beige and will be accenting with red and brown plaid and barn animals! If it's a girl we may keep the walls the same or we may paint it a lighter beige or light pink and the accent will be a vintage flower pattern. We're not planning on moving the baby from its room when we decide it's time for baby number 2 so that's why we're okay with painting etc...  Only thing we've bought is a wooden carved cow from Dominican Republic because I'm pretty sure it's a boy but if not it can be used in other spots in the house as I'm obsessed with cows and roosters! Can't wait to find out if it's a boy or girl and start with the nursery!!
  • So far what we have accomplished is cleaning out the room that will be the nursery (it used to be the junk room and DESPERATELY needed cleaned out.)  We aren't going to start the decorating until we know what we're having, but currently leaning towards a dandelion theme for a girl or a woodland/camping theme for a boy.  Mostly because I have found some very cute things I want to get... 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Well we've had a change of plans! We are moving out of our rental and staying with my grand mother for the summer, and then we'll be moving into a new apartment in September. Kind of worried about all of it but I've got FI to help with everything. We just want to be in an apartment with a washer, dryer, and dishwasher when the baby gets here, and we sign our lease again we'll be there until July of next year, which neither of us wants to do.
  • @squiddy224 Love the campfire night light--it's on my list for our nursery as well! ^_^
  • DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited June 2016
    We have to convert our guest room to the nursery.  We love DS's room, it's outdoorsy - lots of rustic looking things with suspension shelving and bookcases that H made which are just awesome.  I don't want to have to move it since it flows so well.  

We we will wait to do much decorating until we know of the sexes.  We will buy cribs before that, but with 2, I feel like the tone of the nursery has to be right.  I don't want neutral if we have 2 boys or 2 girls.  I'm really loving on gold, coral and navy for a girls room and navy and orange for a boys room.  I'm feeling lots of color for this nursery.  If we have boy/girl, I'll have to really think about how I make that work.  Eventually we'd move DS1 and DS2 together if we had B/G, so it wouldn't need to work for too long.  

Anyone moving their toddler into a full bed with this transition?  We have a 'guest nook ' in our bonus room/office so we think we're going to re-use the full bed and frame for DS' room.  I'd need guard rails though.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited June 2016
    That's super cute! 

The campfire light will also be handy for late night feeds.

My advice... 
    Install a dimmer switch in your bedroom (or where ever you plan on feed your baby at night). It's essential for late night feeding during the early days. After awhile i get the hang of nursing in the dark, but the 1st few weeks you have to look and see if they are latched on right. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

Awe they are! Mines a mini doxie, is that what your's is ?
    Mini Doxie and beagle!
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @BabyRobbinsAdventure love that color!!! Such a peaceful calming shade. 
  • We were going to move my just turned 2 year old into a full size bed and reuse her crib mattress for the baby. But decided against it. She's still so little and will probably fit in her toddler bed another year...but the main reason was I wanted to keep open floor space in her room so she has somewhere to play. The full bed would take most of that space and we still like to get on the floor for playtime and reading with her.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I'm so glad to read we aren't the only ones dealing with the "junk room disaster area." Our nursery-to-be right now has furniture we don't use, an extra full size bed, a dresser I want to repaint for baby, about 800 books (ok, that's probably an exaggeration), other random odds and ends and projects, annnnnd the entire closet is filled with our overflow clothes/seasonal items. No f'n clue what to do about those now. Yep. Real fun. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We live in a 3 bedroom house, so since babies 1 and 2 are boys, they are now going to move in together.  We not only have a nursery to create, but a "big boy" room for a 5 and 2.5 year old.  We are moving them to the currently nursery because closet space is better in that room! 

We are waiting the find out the gender to work on the nursery.  The room is a bright blue, and we will add our yellow accents.  If it's a girl, we might also add a bright coral or a light powder pink.