Infertility

IVF or Mini IVF?

I have spent countless hours researching this.. I need help making a decision. My RE suggested the mini IVF, as I am younger (26) and have PCOS. No male fertility issues. I want the most bang for my buck. AND i want to only go thru this once. 
Who has completed a mini IVF cycle? How many eggs retrieved? Number fertilized?
How does it compare? ANY suggestions/info/comments will help. Thanks ladies :smile: 

Re: IVF or Mini IVF?

• cmm012cmm012 member
    I have mild PCOS and I just finished my ER. I got a bad case of OHSS and was in bed for a week after. I had to have fluid drained out of my abdomen and could barely breathe. I gained 6 to 7 pounds of fluid. I have to wait an extra month for my FET.

If I had to do everything all over, and I had the option for mini IVF I would definitely choose that route.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • cmm012, thanks for the feedback! I had my third IUI today, so im trying to plan IF this third time is not a charm. Im so sorry to hear of your experience, but I see that you have 12 fertilized eggs! Thats awesome. 
  • Loading the player...
  • cmm012cmm012 member
    Thank you! I'm down to 7 frosties now, but I'm still happy. I would have rather gotten fewer eggs and not gotten sick though. I hope you don't need to move to IVF, but if you do I'm sure you will make the best decision.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • Well, minimal stimulation IVF offers couples an alternative to traditional IVF. Some people like that Mini IVF differs from standard IVF because it has you taking less medication. Costs are definitely less. The procedure enquires less time commitment. But pregnancy rates may be lower with Mini IVF. Therefore couples still choose this method due to its other benefits.
    Here's a rundown of what to expect with Mini IVF, although procedures can vary from clinic to clinic.
    Before starting Mini IVF, you may take at least one round of birth control pills to regulate your cycle. Your doctor will perform an ultrasound to make sure that you are a good candidate for IVF. If everything looks healthy, your doctor may prescribe drugs to boost ovulation, encouraging your body to produce more eggs than normal. Once your follicles are fully ripe and mature, your doctor will administer a hCG injection. IVF will proceed in the traditional way. This is egg retrieval, fertilization and embryo transfer.
    To my mind, if there is the option of trying Mini IVF, why not to try?!
    Wish you all the best of luck :)