January 2017 Moms
Options

Water Birth

Anyone planning on having a water birth?  I didn't get the chance with DD since I had a velamentous cord insertion (long story short, her umbilical cord wasn't intact in one thick cord but in veins) that worried my OB enough to have me induced with the fear of emergency c-section.  Since I was induced and given pitocin I feel like my labor was very forced and my contractions came on FAST.  I got the epidural.
This time I would like to try a water birth at our local hospital with the midwives.  I'm hoping to go sans epidural this time just to see if I can.  Anyone else?

Re: Water Birth

• Options
    moonlady-2moonlady-2 member
    edited May 2016
    Me!  I'm not sure if I'll actually give birth in the water, but I will at least labor in water and see how it goes.
    31 years young
    from Seattle(ish)
    5 years married
    FTM and PGAL
    EDD is 12/23/17
    -- It's a BOY! ---

• Options
    susykat77susykat77 member
    edited May 2016
    I love the water so I imagine that I will labor in the water. I am not adamant about giving birth in the water - I want to keep it open so I can do what feels right in the moment. But I REALLY love the idea of giving birth in the water.

edited because it was confusing. 

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I labored for a while in the jacuzzi tub at the hospital, and it was really nice. It gave me much more relief and comfort than the bed. Then I got an epidural.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    @jlea05
    That's my plan.  Try to get relief in the tub and then switch to the bed if I have to.  I had an IV, Fetal Doppler, Heart rate monitor, and DD had a fetal electrode.  I was hooked up to so many machines that I basically felt confined to the bed.
  • Options
    Most of the locations where I am actually put a ban on water births, including at the hospital I'll be giving birth at. I'm not quite sure why yet, but seems serious. All the rooms at my hospital have tubs, though, and they're happy to have mothers labor in the tubs, they just can't give birth in them.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    I'd love to. I heard that the hospital I'm delivering is no longer allowing midwife assisted water births at this time :( laboring in the tub is still permitted. Hoping that changes by January. (I'm not sure if any OBs are permitted to deliver in the water either). 
  • Options
    TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited May 2016
    I hope I'm able to labor in the tub before I switch to the bed
  • Options
    Im going with a birth center and I'll be using the tub for at least part of the labor. Im a ftm so I don't know if I'll want to actually give birth in it or not. I'll just do whatever helps and feels natural, and we'll see.
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    I know the place I'll be at offers tubs for labor and, I believe, birth. I've been considering at least laboring in the tub, but I'm still researching. I'm not really sure and honestly everything makes me really nervous these days. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Great Post!!

This is definitely something I would love to do but they don't offer it at my Kaiser location.

I would like to labour at home in the tub as long as possible then head to the hospital 
  • Options
    Like many others the hospital I go to doesn't allow you to actually give birth in the water, just labor there. I did spend some time in the tub with my first, it was very relaxing. My mom was with me, pouring cups of water on my stomach. When contractions started getting more intense I needed to get out.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I want to be able to at least labor in the water, if not birth there. I'm not a candidate for our midwives birth center since this will (hopefully) be a VBAC. I'll have to deliver at the hospital but will still be with my midwives. I haven't had my first appointment yet (June 13th) but I'm looking forward to knowing more about all my options. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel very fortunate since our hospital has water birth tubs as well as ob/gyns and midwives working side by side in the same facilities. 
  • Options
    I've always wanted to have a water birth, but our hospital doesn't allow them, also they don't allow VBAC mom's to labor in the tub at all. Such a bummer, may talk to my OB about it, maybe the policy has changed in the last 2years lol
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    The hospital I am having my DD#2 at actually does water birth. My Ob doesn't do it, so I am hoping the day I am in labor and go to the hospital the midwives are there to give me my water birth. My Ob office only allows us to labor in the tub.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I wonder why hospitals typically don't allow water births?
    I labored in the water at the hospital as long as I could. It felt so good. But I got frustrated because the nurse kept telling my husband that he had to get me out of there because she needed to monitor the baby. I didn't want to get out of the tub, but they made me :neutral:
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    @jlea05 That is so incredibly frustrating, it's one of the main things I'm concerned about with a hospital birth. I realize why they're doing it, but I feel like they can go overboard with the monitoring sometimes. I'm not sure yet how my hospital does things, but I do not want to be tied down to a bed with a bunch of monitoring crap all over me and not allowed to labor in a more comfortable way.

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• Options
    The hospital I'll be in has birthing suites with tubs so you have the option of laboring in the water (which I'll probably do as long as I can) but I don't think they allow water births either. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    @Dinozaur yes, it was incredibly frustrating. I'm not sure if they would've let me back in the tub after monitoring for a while, because once I was out of the tub and on the bed with the monitors the pain began to intensify and I asked for an epidural. I'm not a big water person - I don't take baths or particularly enjoy swimming - but being in that big tub with the water jets helps immensely! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    I really want to have a water birth, but I don't think my hospital offers it. At least I'd like to labor in the tub at the very least. 
    Me: 27, DH: 32
    Together: 1/24/11
    Married: 10/11/14
    BFP: 4/26/2016
    EDD: 1/4/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I plan to labor in the tub. I did last time too but I was 10 cm when I arrived at the hospital and it was too late. I actually don't even know if the hospital I'm delivering at this time allows water births. I would love to do it if possible. 
  • Options
    *Update* My OB that delivered DD was very supportive of my plans for a water birth and referred me to a midwives that works along side him.  I will see him for important appointments but check in with the midwife for the remainder of my pregnancy! 
    Also my hospital gives expectant parent tours so I'll be visiting closer to see the tub suites. 
  • Options
    I labored in the tub for a little bit with my first. It helped me relax. It was very important to me to be mobile (if possible) during labor to labor in different positions, in the tub, or on a ball. Our hospital/doctor on call was very supportive of this and they actually had wireless monitors that I could wear in the tub. It was awesome. I was able to be hooked up to a fetal monitor so that we could make sure baby was ok but I had full mobility. I also did not have an epidural and really didn't want to be hooked up to an IV so there again we compromised, I had the hep lock put in but it was never hooked up to anything. That way if I needed to be hooked up quick they didn't have to try to get an IV started. We had a birth plan typed out with what our wishes were and I found that helped a lot. My experience says, be knowledgeable about your wishes, be flexible, and ask questions. The more involved you are, the less the doctors and nurses will dictate to you and tell you what you have to do. If you act like you don't know what you want or speak up, they will pretty much tell you the way it's going to be and it's going to be best case scenario for them.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Our hospital is starting water births again in August! I'm so excited to have that opportunity. 
  • Options
    @jlea05 I took a tour of the hospital my new midwife uses and they have laboring tubs as well but you cannot give birth in them. The reason is, and this may just be a FL thing, they need to be able to have access on three sides in order to do a water birth but these tubs only have access on one side. It may be the same in your hospital as well.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Options
    @PMForbie
    Interesting.  I spoke with my midwife today who said I can give birth in the tub.  The tub is a large inflatable tub that is brought into the room.  Is your tubs stationary?