January 2017 Moms

Working out

So I am a bit of a nut when it comes to working out, I love to go running and when I do boot camp/zumba class I push myself as hard as I can. Now that I am pregnant with #2 (I really didn't work out with #1) I am scared I could hurt the baby by pushing too hard. I read that you can "maintain a normal level of fitness" during the first trimester, but does that include going all out? I also read a new study says moms who are active though out the pregnancy have healthy babies and kids who are more prone to being physically fit. I had a tough time catching my break at both my zumba and boot camps the past couple days, and a really tough run wednesday (but it was insanely hot and humid, everyone had a horrible time) is this a sign I should start easing up or am I just being a wimp and push though for me and the baby? 

Re: Working out

• cjs260cjs260 member
    It varies from person to person. Ask your doctor. I, for one, have been placed on pelvic rest, so no working out for me until after being cleared (maybe) at my next appointment. I think the general rule I was given prior to my current state is, no heart rate over 140, nothing that my body isn't used to doing (that is strenuous), and no contact sports or balance-necessary activity after the 1st tri. 

Also, look for the Fitness check in that gets started on Mondays! I think you'll fit in well there. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Ease up!  Don't run when it's hot or humid out as well.  I'm the same as you as far as fitness goes.  Everything I've read says it's safe to continue with your current routine, but tone it down to lower impact and lower RPE (rate of perceived exertion).  I plan to continue very light jogging and Zumba (but I'll cut out the jumping), also a lot of walking and maybe some tennis.  I would also avoid heavy weight lifting, sometimes you can get yourself into a valsalva maneuver which raises your BP.  
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • LecoolLecool member
    edited May 2016
    I was told that I can maintain my fitness level, but to reduce my intensity a bit, and not to work out to exhaustion. Rule of thumb is that you should still be able to talk (so not be so out of breath that you are gasping for air). Another tip I was given was to try and whistle. If you are unable to whistle, you need to take a moment to ease up and catch your breath. I would also avoid exercising in the heat. And make you you drink lots of water! 

Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @cjs260 what is the Fitness check? Is it on this board or somewhere else? 
    I will try to ease up, just feel like it is so early for this to be taking effect!! I'm only at 6 weeks! I have a loooonnng way to go.....
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    Here you go! The BMB has been super busy, so it got bumped back a page. There will be a new one started on Monday! 

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12677455/exercise-fitness-check-in-week-of-5-23-16#latest

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• I was pushing myself and started spotting.  The doctor agrees that my workout is probably what started this scary thing.  Take it easy.  I'm going to be a couch potato at least until I see a heartbeat.  It's not worth it in my opinion.
    BabyName Ticker
  • So I just got done a run. My rule of thumb is that I just scale back my speed. I didn't run with my first so I guess we'll see how long this lasts. I also have a Fitbit and I watch my hr so that it doesn't go crazy high. 
  • I did my regular exercise routine when I first got pregnant but the exhaustion has limited me to only 30 min walks a day. I started walking with weighted ankle straps and it really helps! I started feeling more energetic so I went for my first run yesterday (prob been a month since I ran my last mile) and it was exhausting! Barely made it a mile but it felt good! Hopefully I can run a mile today. I didn't exercise my first pregnancy and I really regretted it, so I'm really determined this time around to stay active.
  • I know things have changed on this in recent years in regards to maintaining certain HR or not being able to do certain things. Everything I've researched shows if you a regular exercise routine prior to getting pregnant you can continue with the type of exercise but you need to make sure you don't over do it. Remember that you have a lot more blood pumping through your body which can make the effects of strenuous exercise sneak up on you faster and sooner. Also, with the relaxin, you are more prone to over doing something. I say keep up the type of exercise but just back off. I read somewhere you should be able to maintain a conversation with someone while exercising to ensure you are not overdoing. Not sure on how valid that is as everyone has different levels but it may be a good rule of thumb. And you are still being active and your pregnancy and baby will reap those benefits, probably more so than they would if you push it like you are used to. Want to be sure baby is getting adequate oxygen and such. Great job staying active through the first trimester, that's tough!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I did Zumba Gold today with all the little old ladies and it was the perfect pace for a pregnant woman.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm right there with you. If I don't go to the gym everyday I feel like I'm missing something.

Today I started climbing stairs but got very hot very fast. I asked the people around me if it was hot and they said there was a cool breeze from the a/c so I hopped off that machine and went on the bike.

I think a good rule of thumb is to listen to your body. 
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I didn't really work out on a consistent basis before I was pregnant. This sounds braggy, but I promise I'm not: I just didn't ever feel motivated enough to because I'm really thin naturally :neutral: But now that I'm pregnant with number 2, I'm terrified that this will be the one to destroy my body. And I'm even more worried about it, because everyone says you can't start exercising during pregnancy if it wasn't routine before - so besides eating healthy, what can I do?
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • As far as I know, walking is the form of exercise recommended for women that didn't have a routine pre-pregnancy. Low impact, won't get your heart rate very high, super small risk of injury, etc. My OB recommends 30 minutes of exercise 4-5 times a week. I can no longer go to my barre classes at a studio, so I do a pregnancy barre DVD a few times a week and try to walk at least 30 minutes on the treadmill the other days. It's oppressively hot where I currently live, so outside walks are not an option unless I want to get heat stroke  :) I considered myself to be in good to very good shape pre-pregnancy and I still get winded from brisk walking so I am not going to push it and jog or run, which would be my natural inclination. I'm shocked by how difficult my "workouts" feel now based on what I used to be able to do. All part of the process I guess! 
  • So I'm a runner (5K'S half marathons- usually 15-20 miles a week) and take a piyo class and a stability ball class each once a week.  My dr. does not "like" running He's not a "fan" of bouncing.  This coupled witht he fact that it my 3rd section and my uterus was transparent after my 2nd on (DS1 and 2 are 17 months apart) I was told no running.  He said I could continue piyo and stability ball for as long as I'm comfortable but take it easy (hr 140, not exhausted)  He said if I feel I'm pushing it too much to ease up.  Stability ball is making me uncomfortable bc of the balance (We do planks with our feel on the ball and hand on the ground) So I'm transitioning to vinyasa yoga and I've added a spin class but I don't do any sprints of jumps and don't really ever let myself get winded.  This is how I've modified my regimen.  Hope this helps.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KRB22KRB22 member
    @jlea05 have you asked your doctor what he/she recommendeds?

I thought that if you don't have complications it was ok to start working out while pregnant, especially once you hit 2nd trimester, as long as you build up slowly and don't do anything too strenuous. Prenatal yoga and walking are probably good options. 

In the few months before I got pregnant I had actually scaled back my exercise routine and was mainly doing yoga a few times a week plus taking long walks or gentle hikes. My midwife told me I can exercise however I like as long as I don't overdo it, but she wants me to walk at least 30 minutes every day regardless. I really haven't done much recently due to the nausea, fatigue, and heat, but my aim is to get back into a good yoga routine over the next few weeks. I'm also planning to start pilates again in the hopes of rebuilding some muscle tone and core strength. 
  • Today I swam laps for the first time in months! I went really slow and only swam for 20 min and checked my heart rate throughout. I think swimming is so low impact that you can start it at anytime - just build up slowly. And once we're bigger, it will feel wonderful to be in the water and take the pressure off of our bodies. 

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Susykat77 the swimming is a great idea!!
  • I used to workout 4-6 days a week, and often while I was jogging/running my HR would get to 145-160 and stay there for a while. That was my peak zone, and my resting HR is 55. OB said that I can continue working out, and the strength training exercises I did are ok to continue, but she said that I should watch my HR and not let it get past 150 :/ so I usually have to do interval runs when I do cardio. It's easier to keep my HR in a good level when I'm doing cardio at the gym compared to outside. I'm jealous of you who are able to get out and exercise still, though...I haven't really been sick, but my motivation is gooooone. I'm usually able to squeeze in at least a 30min fast walk most days, so I'll take it for now.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I have a doctor appointment next week, so I'll be asking him what I can and can't do. But in any case, I've been too nauseous or exhausted these past couple months to be able to do anything anyway. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • I'm going to second what other people are saying about "being able to hold a conversation" while working out. That way you know you are getting enough oxygen. One thing I did read is not to over heat yourself. You body will actually draw blood away from the uterus (where a lot of blood is flowing to) to your skin to help cool yourself off. Ever since I read that, I've been much more careful because I'm the type of person who likes to get a good work out sweat going. Now, I workout in the FREEZING gym at our apartment. It's only freezing the first few minutes, after that I know I've made the right choice because I do start to get warm. 

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone have any experience with prenatal yoga? Sorry if this question was already asked  :)
  • @LeahNicole I love my prenatal yoga. I took it with my first starting about 20 weeks and this time around started last week at 13 weeks. I love it for a lot of reasons. It's relaxing, the stretching and poses are so good for my body and make some of the pregnancy aches go away (or lessen), and it's a group of pregnant women, all going through the same thing. My instructor is awesome, always starts class asking what we've been feeling and if there is anything we want to talk about in our time with other pregnant ladies. We do a lot of the same poses as normal yoga, but will modify to make work around our bellies or for reasons not conducive to pregnancy. I actually will be joining in the yoga class here at work one day a week as well and just using what I learned in prenatal yoga to modify as we go.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Oh, because I can't say enough good things about yoga, it also helps when it comes to labor. I used my breathing from yoga during labor and a lot of the positions help prepare your body for labor.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carly79 thank you so much!  I hadn't even considered the breathing aspect. The studio I went to prior only offers prenatal once a week and it's in the evening when I am most tired. I'm almost 12 weeks so maybe the fatigue will subside a little and I can give it a try. I loved the idea of being with a bunch of other pregnant women and I really liked the yoga classes I had taken before at this studio. Maybe I'll give it a try next week! I wanted to ask the question on fb also but my HB and I haven't announced on fb yet and I needed someones opinion of it! Thank you again!!
  • @LeahNicole The studio I go to offers a class one evening a week and then on Saturday mornings. The evening class is on hold over the summer so I'm doing the Saturday morning one which is a good way to start the day. I will be switching to the evening class when that starts back up, it just works better for my schedule and while some nights I'm tired, I remember it giving me some extra energy and found it refreshing in the evening. Hopefully you start to get some energy back soon, mine just really started coming back this week which has been great. I'm 14 weeks this week.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've been doing yoga for over two years and love it. I used to go to a hot studio which I LOVED but stopped while we were TTC. I've been doing yoga daily via a video subscription but laid off during the first part of this pregnancy. Not that I think it caused any of my other two MMC, but I just took it easy. I'm getting back into their prenatal videos and doing that with some cardio/squats type stuff. I really missed yoga, it really keeps me grounded! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Ladies your local Lululemon may offer a free yoga class!! My local lulu offers free Sunday morning yoga and the class is always packed!!
  • edited July 2016
    On the topic of yoga, I'm just going to stan for my yoga style for a second and say how much I recommend Iyengar Yoga for pregnant women (and, really, anyone). They have a really rigorous teacher certification program, and teachers have to do continuing education. Part of their continuing training involves an awareness of how to modify poses for pregnancy, what poses are contraindicated during pregnancy, and what poses can be useful during labour.

Studios will often offer prenatal classes, but you can go to any non-prenatal Iyengar class that is appropriate to your level, tell the instructor you are pregnant, and he or she will be able to recommend modifications and alternatives for you throughout the class. It really freed up my schedule because I'm not yoked to the one prenatal class.

Obviously there are a ton of benefits of the prenatal classes specifically, which others have mentioned, and I love those classes too, but I just wanted to float that out there as an option for ladies whose schedules do not cooperate with your local prenatal yoga schedules. 
  • I don't have anywhere around me that offers specifically prenatal yoga. With the exceptions of things that I won't be able to do on my back/stomach/some balance things, what are the benefits of the prenatal class? 
  • @SquirrelGiggles83 I think it's mainly the confidence that all poses you're doing are safe during pregnancy and that you'll be able to fully participate in the class. Plus the benefit of connecting with other pregnant women. If you can reach out to a studio and talk to them about which teachers would feel comfortable offering modifications for you, you should be able to confidently go to that class. 
  • So I went for my walk around the neighbourhood this morning.

Something I hadn't done since the first week of April. So let's just say the 45min walk up and down these hilly roads turned into 1hr and 20min with stopping, sitting and cheering myself on.

Well.. I wasn't the only one cheering myself on..or so I thought. Four crows flew from one pole to the next "cawing" or whatever noise they make. And in my infinite wisdom I thought "how magical it's like that scene from Snow White (well kinda) walking through the forest with the birdies chirping bc they were her friends."

It wasn't later that I realized these a $$ holes were not my friends at all they were waiting for me to keel over so that they could peck my eyes out and have me for breakfast. 

Reality = 1
    Magic Fantasy World = 0
  • KRB22KRB22 member
    I don't have anywhere around me that offers specifically prenatal yoga. With the exceptions of things that I won't be able to do on my back/stomach/some balance things, what are the benefits of the prenatal class? 
    FTM but I started going to a prenatal yoga class a few weeks ago (have had a regular yoga practice for several years). I find the prenatal class goes more slowly than my regular class, and most poses are automatically offered with modifications for pregnant bellies - more necessary once your belly starts getting in the way. There's also more focus on prepping for labor, eg, breathing and pelvic floor exercises, and on stretches to ease common aches and pains. That said, most yoga will be helpful in this respect. 

I took a break from my regular classes during the 1st tri, but now that I'm starting to feel better I'm planning to return to those 1-2 times a week and will try to attend the prenatal class once a week as well. 

When you get a little further along it might be worth trying a prenatal video or DVD at home just to get a sense of modifications and any additional poses to try, and then you can incorporate those during your regular classes as appropriate.