September 2015 Moms

1st birthday party

so anyone started planning yet?? Skyelars is going to be the little mermaid themed so excited lol

Re: 1st birthday party

• Not really. We will probably just have a small one at home. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no idea :( We are doing our yard and so DH and I are really going back and forth on whether or not we can have it at home or not.  

Home is obviously best because the kids can sneak off for naps easily and getting ready can be done in pieces in the days leading up rather than spending a whole morning.  However, I'm not sure I want everyone walking on brand new sod.  
  • Yes! "Noahs Clubhouse" because he's obsessed with Mickey Mouse! I just can't find a place where I want to have it at. I wish I had a backyard but I live in an apartment complex and don't really have someone I can ask to use their home. I'm scared to have it outside because I had an outdoor wedding and it down poured as I went down the isle lol 
  • Yes! "Noahs Clubhouse" because he's obsessed with Mickey Mouse! I just can't find a place where I want to have it at. I wish I had a backyard but I live in an apartment complex and don't really have someone I can ask to use their home. I'm scared to have it outside because I had an outdoor wedding and it down poured as I went down the isle lol 
    Don't feel bad, I had to switch to indoors because there was a hurricane and the tent I was supposed to get dressed in blew away... I ended up getting dressed hiding behind a folding panel behind the snacks, lol, I got everyone's real opinions on the food though haha
  • Alice in Wonderland! Think vintage tea party style. Nothing too crazy just some touches here and there and her dress is the best part, it is so beautiful!!
  • @kkerner87 love that idea super cute I'm stuck with a dress for skyelar wanted a special made one but the price was way over the top for what I wanted was strictly told no  :(
  • Yes. We're having 2 parties but both will be relatively small. One here where my family is and another about 6 hours away with my husbands family. It's frog themed. I'm doing cupcakes for everyone except LO who is getting his own smash cake. I'm gonna do some small decorations and balloons, and we're gonna grill out hot dogs and hamburgers. Weather permitting I'll break out LO's baby pool for him to play in.
  • Wish I had a garden would defo do the whole garden party with pool and stuff :(
  • I was just going to do a shabby chic blue theme but now not sure. LO doesn't have anything he really loves. No fav stuffed animal. He hasn't seen any tv shows or movies so no fav character like that. But he does love books, little blue truck and anything skippy Jon jones specifically because of the fun Spanish words and voices I do.  I was thinking stick with the blue theme but have food stations based on the books that are his favs. His 12 mos shots are on his actual bday and the party is 2 days later. Hoping for no reaction like the 6 mos shots.

Little mermaid sounds totally adorbs!!!
  • I started pinning stuff a few months ago. We have a few acres and will be doing a barnyard theme. He loves our rooster and barn cats. We will set out our tractor, the corn in the field will be about 6 feet tall so it will be a nice background for pictures and go with the theme. Doing bbq chicken we raised ourselves for dinner, potato salad, etc. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm thinking "you are my sunshine" as a theme. I think it will be simple but cute with splashes of yellow. I love throwing parties and enjoy doing it, especially for my kids. For DS's first we did "under the sea" and that was fun too.
  • @dmbfan46835 awe hope his jags don't affect him to much, poor little soul getting them in his first bday that's no fun 
  • I want to do a party like I did with my first born. But we moved far from everyone and there is no way I can have everyone over again. Any ideas on how I can incorporate long distant family? 
  • I want to do a party like I did with my first born. But we moved far from everyone and there is no way I can have everyone over again. Any ideas on how I can incorporate long distant family? 
    i don't know your stance on social media but one idea that a friend of mine did that was really awesome was she streamed her sons "smash cake" via Facebook live. It was really cute to get to watch and everyone who was watching was commenting and she was reading some of the comments. Maybe just me but I just thought it was really cool.
  • edited June 2016
    That's a cool idea. We're not near any family either, so I may do this. I would love a Harry Potter themed party - though honestly since he's been in the sun this spring his hair has gone strawberry so now he's more of a Weasley ;) 
  • That is a good idea. I am just technologically challenged haha but I would love to do that. 
  • @kkerner87 Zulily has a section for Alice/tea party themed decor today! 
  • So we have just started thinking about this. My DH doesn't want it to be over the top or huge...but we have a HUGE family and are now wondering where to draw the line. Bottom line for me is I want my DS to have fun. So aside from who to invite etc. if your having it at a place or at home -- what activities will you have for the kids to do? Looking for some ideas.. they are so little so its hard at least it seems hard.
  • So we have just started thinking about this. My DH doesn't want it to be over the top or huge...but we have a HUGE family and are now wondering where to draw the line. Bottom line for me is I want my DS to have fun. So aside from who to invite etc. if your having it at a place or at home -- what activities will you have for the kids to do? Looking for some ideas.. they are so little so its hard at least it seems hard.
    I was thinking of a percussion/ music station, making different "drums" etc... Out of found stuff and decorating them the same, maybe a "beach" area with some water toys to splash with and if I can find them cheap a ball pit out of a kiddie pool, obviously outside for the last two but all kids seem to like noise/ making a mess, lol, I'm not bothering with real "games" this young...
  • @ABombard12 I like to make the first birthday party about the guests.  What age kids are you having?  Our kid guests will be 3-7 years old so we'll do crafts  - pumpkin painting, maybe bobbing for apples, freeze dance...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1's first birthday we lived far from family, and we only had adult guests except one tiny baby, so we just did cake, gifts, desserts and drinks. My MIL flew in, but our other parents we called on facetime before cake, they sang along with everyone, got to see the candle and her eat her slice. We opened their gifts first, but my stepmom stayed on for a while (almost an hour!) to watch the party :smile: 

This time we have some nearby friends/extended family we'll invite. I don't plan on doing party games, but I'll have an art station set up (plus I have a daycare, so there are activity stations in our playroom for all ages anyway) and I'll be making number 1 shaped cookies for the kids to take home. Mostly it'll be a ton of seasonal finger foods and apple cider, with adults enjoying conversation while the kids play.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @tlc11934 I agree which is why I was stuck because the ages of the children coming will be 2-4 however I want my LO to be able to participate and have some fun things to do. At first I kept thinking a bounce house (they make a mickey mouse club house) but he may be too little for it....
  • I have but we also leave for Australia and Hong Kong in August so I lose what would have been my prep month
  • anyone doing sesame street or muppets theme? (maybe these feel too old school...)
  • I don't know if we'll do much of a theme because the kiddos are sharing a party (baby turns 1 and eight days later his sister turns 7), but I love those ideas @19katee2 ! Our little guy loves Sesame Street (he adores Ernie) and we love Muppets too. Besides wasn't there recently a Muppets prime time tv show? Not so old school! 
  • I haven't figured out a theme yet for my LO but my friend is doing "Where the Wild Things Are" for her son and it's going to be super cute!  He's full of energy and definitely a little wild one so it is very fitting!
  • chein1chein1 member
    We were going to do unicorns, but I'm sticking with a Pancakes and PJs party. Everyone can wear their pajamas, eat some pancakes, then go home all before noon :) I'm ordering personalized pancake pjs for LO to wear and a coordinating set for big sister.
  • I am doing Sesame Street theme! My daughter loves Elmo :) 
  • there are so many cute and colorful decorations on Pinterest @Plumeria1214
  • chein1 said:
    We were going to do unicorns, but I'm sticking with a Pancakes and PJs party. Everyone can wear their pajamas, eat some pancakes, then go home all before noon :) I'm ordering personalized pancake pjs for LO to wear and a coordinating set for big sister.
    Love this! Out by noon...  Yes please!!