September 2016 Moms

UO

13»

Re: UO

• My UO
    I love the use of classic male names that are now female names for boys. Like Whittney and Ashley. My grandfather was Maddison. Luckily we are team pink because H was not on board.
  • ThscaryThscary member
    edited May 2016
    I agree with @yellowrose314 . My days of retail pharmacy and seeing people abuse the system  has made me a cynic. Perhaps it's not as common or widespread as it was with my pharmacy clientele, but to me it seemed there was so much abuse.

ETA, I am a supporter of social welfare programs, but feel more needs to be done to combat fraud, waste and abuse so the people who truly need it can get adequate benefits
  • Loading the player...
  • Megan324 said:
    @runningisrad @ajn092 my brother is on the autism spectrum and he LOVES doctor who and even he couldn't watch the first few seasons. 
    I forced myself to watch it with him and it's actually pretty good but only watch the David Tennent and Matt Smith seasons. Everything else is blah.
    All my Whovian friends told me over and over to watch the David Tennant season. Specifically the "Blink" episode, and I STILL hated it! Ah! I just don't get the appeal. Which is weird, because I'm a geek. I love Firefly, I LOVE Sherlock, so you'd think Doctor Who would be right up my alley. Nope. Big ole nope.
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thscary said:
    I agree with @yellowrose314 . My days of retail pharmacy and seeing people abuse the system  has made me a cynic. Perhaps it's not as common or widespread as it was with my pharmacy clientele, but to me it seemed there was so much abuse.

ETA, I am a supporter of social welfare programs, but feel more needs to be done to combat fraud, waste and abuse so the people who truly need it can get adequate benefits
    Honestly - when it comes to pharmacy benefits, I think the majority of pharmacists/technicians would tell you that they see an incredible amount of abuse of benefits. I now work for a medicaid PBM company so all I deal with is medicaid claims and it's still staggering - the number of members on opiates, the number of members on opiates and the prescribed medication never shows up in their urine, etc.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @runningisrad I do love Doctor Who, but I fully embrace it's cheesiness and I don't think you're any less a geek for not liking it.  Personally, I think Firefly is super dumb and that Joss Whedon is really over-rated.  I think it's a hallmark of geeks that we are super passionate about the weird things we love and have a hard time accepting that others might like different things!
  • @runningisrad  admittedly it took me a LONG time watching it before I liked it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    ElcaB said:
    New UO inspired by a FB friend's post: 

I know every woman has the right to feel the way she feels about her body. But FFS, I am so sick of reading about how pregnancy "ruined" your body. Your body changed; it is not ruined. If you hate it that much, maybe you shouldn't have gotten pregnant because I am tired of seeing you bitch about it all the time. 

Rant over. 
    I don't know the context of your friend's post, and I've never claimed that my body was "ruined", but I have certainly dealt with body image issues related to my first pregnancy. I've [mostly] overcome them now, but I like to post about them on FB sometimes because I want to know if other women may have some advice or know how to deal with their insecurities. I usually find a clever way to post it so it doesn't sound like bitching, and I try to space them out enough where it's not a constant, obvious eye sore for other people to read, but that doesn't change how often the insecurities arise. I think it's a bit harsh to say someone "shouldn't have gotten pregnant" because they are having difficulties dealing with the physical changes.
    @TheTamedShrew, yikes - I didn't mean to come across as harsh. Let me clarify: 

I completely understand having body issues, especially post-pregnancy. I wasn't saying it's not okay to have issues about your bod post-pregnancy, or even discuss them openly. However, I don't like the word "ruined" when it's used to describe a body after baby (or any body at all). And I know you don't know the context of the person's posts, but they are extremely negative and degrading. She'll post things about how "ruined" her body is multiple times a week. Honestly, at this point I wonder if it's just to get others to say, "OMG what are you talking about? You look great!" (She posted the below photo with "Pregnancy does wonders to your tummy....not good ones either lol."

I think you misunderstood the bolded. I didn't say she shouldn't have gotten pregnant --- I can see how it could be read that way, though, and that's my bad. What I meant was, if her body is so important to her that the hatred for her "ruined" body outweighs everything else, perhaps she should have opted for a different path to motherhood or simply considered whether it was worth it before getting pregnant. 
    abs.PNG 66.5K
  • @Jabreen omg firefly 4 ever. I'm not a HUGE Joss fan but I just love it so much! But yes. Geeks come in all kinds of fandoms and that's what makes us awesome!

• AnnaS930AnnaS930 member
    edited May 2016
    @ElcaB never mind. Your friend needs to get a life. Forget what I said. It seems like an odd way to fish for compliments on her six pack.
    Agreed - if a person really felt ruined by pregnancy she probably wouldn't post a picture of the remains. This post is ridiculously bragadocious.  I was really proud of getting my body back post-baby and made sure to pose with my son at the beach when he was 7 months old last summer. I was wearing a modest 1 piece (necessary for baby chasing) and put it online proudly but without any captions/pretending to be upset by how I looked.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Firefly > Dr. Who. Forever and always. I carry a heavy weight of revenge and anger in my heart that they cancelled it after one season but Keeping up with the Kardashians is in it's 12th season... even typing that makes my fury burn with fire of a thousand suns.
  • @runningisrad I loved Firefly so much – space western? Yes, please, forever and always  and Serenity absolutely shattered my heart. Crushed. Ruined. Pulverized. You know the story is excellent when it can affect a person in that way. 

Leaves on the wind. :(
    September '16 -  May Signature Challenge
    Awkward Family Fun

• I'm so behind, but I thought I wanted to be a SAHM when my DD was little...now she's a toddler and oh hell no. Plus, I like having money to give to Target and wouldn't have that if I didn't work. I doubt I'll ever voluntarily leave my company, they match up to 15% of your salary for your 401k. I know i
    would deeply regret leaving when retirement age came and I didn't have that money.
  • camichael84camichael84 member
    edited May 2016
    Firefly > Dr. Who. Forever and always. I carry a heavy weight of revenge and anger in my heart that they cancelled it after one season but Keeping up with the Kardashians is in it's 12th season... even typing that makes my fury burn with fire of a thousand suns.
    I have never watched Firefly, but I liked this because I can get behind the sentiment regarding Keeping up with the Kardashians. Amd also because it made me LOL.

• @runningisrad I loved Firefly so much – space western? Yes, please, forever and always – and Serenity absolutely shattered my heart. Crushed. Ruined. Pulverized. You know the story is excellent when it can affect a person in that way. 

Leaves on the wind. :(
    Yessssssss. I love it all. RIP Wash D:

• Firefly > Dr. Who. Forever and always. I carry a heavy weight of revenge and anger in my heart that they cancelled it after one season but Keeping up with the Kardashians is in it's 12th season... even typing that makes my fury burn with fire of a thousand suns.
    Agree, but sometimes I think it's better this way. Now we have one perfect season, and it never got the chance to jump the shark or get stupid.

Agree, but sometimes I think it's better this way. Now we have one perfect season, and it never got the chance to jump the shark or get stupid.
    I refuse to believe in the deepest pools of my heart that Josh Whedon would have let it get to that point. One was not enough. It will never be enough. 
    @Thurstobertay I am a leaf on the wind... I shed a tear when I saw you typed that. I'm not exaggerating. DH was like "why are you tearing up? We're watching Brooklyn Nine Nine..." 
  • Ive never watched firefly, was there a movie made? Right?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Megan324 said:
    Ive never watched firefly, was there a movie made? Right?
    Yes! There was the TV show and then the movie wrapping everything up. I love Firefly! My husband is hopeful that now Castle is done, Nathan Fillion will reprise his character on Firefly and make new episodes. 
  • @cassiebmalek  I think I've seen the movie!
    Pregnancy Ticker