April 2016 Moms

If you've had mastitis...

Did your supply drop and did it come back? I came down with a fever of 101 yesterday and had a considerable amount of pain in my left breast. My OB called in an antibiotic, which I started last night. I've continued nursing on both sides, but my mastitis side isn't producing as much. Can I expect it to rebound once the infection goes away?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you've had mastitis...

• Yes - I had mastitis (also on the left) a few weeks after LO was born. It took about 2 days to return to normal, but it did. :blush: 
  • I had it (also the left) and my supply dropped considerably and unfortunately didn't totally return afterward :( I EP and would consistently get 6-8oz out of my left breast and now I get 3-5
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes.  I had it in the right with Dd1.  The supply never came back 100% but almost.  I had to pump longer on that side when I went back to work and after that Dd favored the left side causing new problems
  • Mine returned. Once the infection was gone. It took about 3 days to get all the way back. I tried to get him to nurse more often/longer on my left where I had the infection to help clear it. 
  • MioleneMiolene member
    I didn't notice a drop in supply on that side but I continually fed through it and only started expressing 3 weeks later so it doesn't seem to have effected me