1st Trimester

Gender Blood Test!

Hey everyone! New to the Bump and 8wks 3dys! So so happy to have a group I can come to for questions and concerns! 
Ok, so my first sono is this coming Wednesday, May 25th, and they have scheduled me for the gender blood test on June 9, at about 11 weeks. We were so SO excited to be finding out the gender of our baby so soon, but now that we've told our family, I've heard that sometimes the gender blood test isn't always accurate. How accurate was it for you?? We would love to do a gender reveal some time soon, but if it's not close to 100% accurate then should we wait? Thanks in advance❤️ 

Re: Gender Blood Test!

• Loading the player...
  • Actually it is 99.6% accurate according to my geneticist. 
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Actually it is 99.6% accurate according to my geneticist. 
    Very much this. I've seen false negatives that missed one of the major trisomies. The tests are highly accurate but they are not perfect or infallible. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • blush64blush64 member
    Actually it is 99.6% accurate according to my geneticist. 
    Very much this. I've seen false negatives that missed one of the major trisomies. The tests are highly accurate but they are not perfect or infallible. 
    Although I haven't known someone personally who had a false negative I do know if you test positive they suggest you have an amnio if you want to be more certain because it is still a screening test. Even with this test I will still have the other screening tests. (I would like all the information I can get) 

As everyone else mentioned, although you can find out the sex that isn't what it is for.
  • @mrszoess I am aware that its not just a test to define gender, but I was most hesitant about the gender results, since I've heard from a few people that they found out they were having a girl via blood test, and at 20 weeks found out it was a boy via ultrasound. thank you for your advice though. 
  • I also have searched the board, but as I said, I was looking for a specific area of the testing, and there was only one post.
  • If you're talking about the panorama, I had the test done at 9 weeks with my last pregnancy because I'm high risk for birth defects. It was 100% accurate for me. As far as I know, it's more accurate than an u/s. My friend also had the test done and it was accurate for her as well. I will also say that it isn't the main purpose for the test and you may want to double check with your insurance provider that they'll cover it. It's an expensive test and some plans won't cover it unless you've had previous reasons to need it. Congrats on your little bean :)
  • I took Panorama last time and it was 100% accurate and we will do it this time around as well. Also call up their customer service regarding the price tag. It was an 1200 test but when I spoke to them they told me it was 145 even though my insurance didn't cover it
  • The test is to find out genetic issues not to find out "gender" (its SEX btw)
  • Does anyone know if this works for multiples?
  • cricci05 said:
    Does anyone know if this works for multiples?
    @cricci05 - I'm pregnant with twins.  I've been told that it can determine if you have at least 1 boy (XY detected) or 2 girls (abscense of the Y).  It can not differentiate if you have 2 boys, or 1G/1B.  For this reason, I didn't do it.  75% of the options with twins would still be unknown.  The standard NIPT testing looking for genetic abnormalities without the sex info.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• isn't that the most impt tho? the genitals as
    opposed to the health and viability of the pregnancy 
  • I'm with eggplantface. If you are that worried about it not being accurate why not wait? Is there a rush to do it at 9 weeks?