September 2015 Moms

Pet peeve time! Let's share!

People are constantly putting their dirty, God-knows-where-they-have-been-fingers in my LO mouth!!! It grosses me out so bad. My FIL and my Mom are the worst! Every dang time. I just quickly grab a toy and say "oh he loves this to chew on!" Ewwwww. I hate it. Ugh. 

Re: Pet peeve time! Let's share!

• RobsMrs77RobsMrs77 member
    edited May 2016
    What! OMG! I'd have to say something! All the wrongs that, like! 

Should have said, my peeve is now that Jakey is on solids, my SIL and MIL think it's ok to just ram any sort of food in his mouth. Errr! No! Im
    his mum, you check with me first! Pisses me right off. I just find myself glaring at Rob, thinking 'either you say something, or I will!'
  • Loading the player...
  • @chelseajeanene sorry to hear your having such a hard time, plus the allergies! Oh, babe, that must be tough! Hang in there, lovey.

why, oh why do our in laws think it's ok to feed our child without asking permission first?
    regarding hubby, I'd be having a word. Your a boss mum & he needs to appreciate your hard work, and respect that. 

All the best sweetie. :)

• We have a pretty set routine/schedule with LO that includes a bedtime. I don't deviate from it much because my son reacts really poorly. It affects his sleep, his mood, etc.. My family are jerks about it, they'll make plans late knowing all this and knowing we won't come because of his bedtime and will basically tell us it's our fault and we just need to do stuff and he'll "adjust." I don't even mind being excluded from things, it's the "advice" they give us that we didn't ask for that really bothers me.

example, we travel to visit my husbands family about once a month. It's a 6 hour trip. If it's not nap time my LO will only deal with the car seat for about 30 minutes at a time (we're in convertible so it's not a size issue) so we travel at night. We literally go through his normal bedtime routine but instead of putting him in his crib we put him in his car seat. He sleeps through the entire trip that way. My family knows this. We had to attend a funeral for my husbands step dad last week so my mom was going to watch our dogs. When I went to drop them off she made the comment that if we'd just do the trip during the day he'd learn to adjust. It really infuriates me. They're not the ones that have to deal with an angry baby, especially on a road trip.
  • Pet peeve: being married to someone who expects me to parent our LO 100% of the time and gets extremely angry/defensive the moment I approach him about it. So awesome. 
  • Omg fingers in the mouth is insane. I've never had anyone try to do that. Jack tries to chew on everything, including hands (he's been teething pretty much constantly since he was 5 months old lol) so I've had people have to remove their fingers from his mouth. I can't imagine having to tell someone that their fingers don't belong in his mouth. Agh!

I'm clearly the minority here but, unless it's super sugary, I really don't care what people feed my kid lol. We do baby led weaning, so I've been making healthier food choices for myself and my son, and the only people who see him during meal times know the deal. 

My pet peeve is partially my fault. I've never had my drivers license. My boyfriend is supposed to take me out driving when my mom watches our son every third weekend but it's been 8 months and we've gone to a couple movies but still haven't gone driving. I want my damn license so I can leave the house more easily. I EP so I have to time trips between my sons naps and my pumps, which is like magic some days. The social isolation is really starting to get to me these days...
  • Mine is when i get asked which of my kids is my favorite :astonished: & then when i answer i love them all the same they are my kids my life & they each have their own personallity for me to love they respond with, "come on you can tell me the truth i wont tell them when they are older."

Im just there like really?
  • My pet peeve hardcore- inconsiderate people at the store that leave their shopping cart wherever the eff they want and don't move when you try and get by. Come on now..  MOVE. 
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    ItsmeR30 said:
    My pet peeve hardcore- inconsiderate people at the store that leave their shopping cart wherever the eff they want and don't move when you try and get by. Come on now..  MOVE. 
    Grocery shopping makes my blood pressure go through the roof! Lol, I drive my DH nuts because I will re write a shopping list over and over until it is organized by store aisle in order so there is no back tracking and I go into drill Sargent mode, lol, ya I guess the general public is my pet peeve...
    Do you have a Hyvee near you? I just learned you can order groceries online, then go pick up your grocery order at their pick-up window. No need to even go in the store! And there's no extra charge. Genius. 
  • Pet peeve: my husband! Haha. I feel like I'm constantly telling him the same things. I say it's bedtime, he says, "But she isn't even tired!" Take her to her room and begin bedtime routine- she begins rubbing her eyes and pulling her ear (because duh, I have started bedtime at 6:00pm for oh, I don't know, 3-4 months now?) Tell him to mix the apricot and peach purees I made with applesauce or banana because they are a little sour... two days later, "I was going to give her apricot but it tasted sour so i threw it out."

Also, currently, sex is a pet peeve! I think it's been two months and I am A-Ok with that! Enter my husband, who just 45 minutes ago threw me my phone and it hit me on the elbow, HARD, then when he came to hug me, proceeded to push my face into the couch with his bodyweight so that my glasses were threatening to break, and starting nuzzling my neck and mouth breathing in my ear. What the absolute fuck! Gross! I understand he has needs, but that is so not the way to get me in the mood!

Baby rant: The 8 month sleep regression can stop please. Also yeast diaper rashes can suck it because #chubbybabyrollsforlife. 
  • I'm tired of everyone being at my house, analyzing everything.  Oh you should hang your tv over the fireplace, what kind of gate are you putting on the stairs, blah blah.  Oh did you see the new study on cio?  So and so wants to come over and paint your front door.  When are you getting carpet?  When Baby goes to school you should just forget this running your own business!  It's too much work.  Bridget lets her baby cio and it works great, he sleeps all night now.  You can eat corn chips on your diet, they are low in fat.  Here's a basket for you to put all of your stuff in.  Now that you baby-proofed your living room, you have to keep it that way.  ENOUGH!  
  • My husband's grandmother sent me a newspaper article about poor toddler diets and obesity with a handwritten note about a picture on Facebook of my boy eating a pizza crust. 

I'm still furious. 
  • The food and comments that go along with it. I love my sister and mother soo much but they come over and we are all eating, along with LO usually something I have made him and its ... oh (talking to my LO).."I'd give you x but mommy wouldn't let me...don't worry I will later on when mommy lets you eat the good stuff" or "do you feed him the Gerber/brand name stuff or is that not healthy enough for you? I know you make all his stuff super organic and healthy all the time so ... " umm actually yes some of the stuff I do... I just don't like the things with a lot of additives. but thanks. And im not a health nut I just don't think starting his diet with all the crap is necessary im sure he will get enough of it later on why not start out healthy at least. I get he will want to try all the fun stuff that we even eat but hes only 8 MO! Then in the same breath of making these comments.. I get yelled at for just putting him on the ground because something is next to him and could fall. well.. hmmm im right here and in one breath im TOO cautious and the next not cautious enough!?

Guess you can never win with people... how about I just make sure my LO is clothed, fed and healthy and we keep our comments to ourselves. k thanks.

• My biggest pet peeve (currently haha) is that my ILs are constantly talking about getting things for LO that are dangerous. Like a dirt bike, for example. And then saying "oh, we're gonna break some bones!" I'M SORRY WHAT? How am I supposed to react to that?? I always tell them no but they say they're going to buy one anyway. Can you guess who is never getting unsupervised time with my baby??
  • mrsmctaggart6mrsmctaggart6 member
    edited May 2016
    I wish! That would be awesome! I just have no patience for inconsiderate people, how hard is it to act like a responsible human being for the short time that you're in a store? Too many years of retail... Most stupid thing I ever did was take a promotion to leave the shop, not worth the blood pressure spike, lol 

Eta second the how to arrange your house comments, if my mother comes up with one more piece of garbage she got at a yard sale and responds to me telling her that my house is too small for all the junk with "you just need to throw stuff away" I'm just going to lose it... Why should I have to get rid of my FURNITURE that I actually like/ need to make room for someone else's garbage that you think my daughter "needs" she does NOT need 5 effing cabbage patch dolls, they are NOT her friends and I will throw them away if you leave them here! Aaaaaa! Ok rant over.... Also they're gross and creepy, ok really done now...
  • 1. My in-laws (who live 3 hours away and can literally come visit anytime) act like they live in Germany. They insist that when they visit they stay in our tiny NYC apartment for a full week to "make a trip of it". Then they sit here and refuse to go out and do anything. 
    2. I can't stand it when people insist on holding the baby when he clearly wants to get down. My husband and in-laws do this mostly. They keep asking if he's crying because he's hungry or tired and I'm like HE WANTS TO PLAY! And they continue to hold him. Drives me insane. 
    3. My husband acts like having a baby is his second job. He always acts so put out by life. Comes home and spends a few minutes with the baby and complains that he has no time to relax. Then I'm back on mom duty. #alwaysthedefaultparent 
  • ALWAYS being the default parent. Even yesterday when I stayed home from work sick (which takes a lot for me). DH took a nap while I took care of LO and cleaned the house to get rid of the germs as much as possible. He watched her for like 1/2 hour so I could mop the floors but even that was half assed and she kept crawling in the room I was cleaning. 
  • ALWAYS being the default parent. Even yesterday when I stayed home from work sick (which takes a lot for me). DH took a nap while I took care of LO and cleaned the house to get rid of the germs as much as possible. He watched her for like 1/2 hour so I could mop the floors but even that was half assed and she kept crawling in the room I was cleaning. 
    I feel like I wrote this. Ugh. I hope you are feeling better today!!
  • Oh my some of these are priceless^

Umm....hands in the mouth for sure.
    People walking all over his big quilted blanket play area with their shoes on...WTF. I don't want his face on the bottom of your gross shoe. 
    My dad pretending to be a great grandpa when my grandma is in town and dropping the act the day she leaves...
    People planning dinners and events past his bedtime. They don't have to deal with the consequences.
    People screaming in excitement at my DS. Stop, it's loud and annoying.
  • jen83mn said:
    ItsmeR30 said:
    My pet peeve hardcore- inconsiderate people at the store that leave their shopping cart wherever the eff they want and don't move when you try and get by. Come on now..  MOVE. 
    Grocery shopping makes my blood pressure go through the roof! Lol, I drive my DH nuts because I will re write a shopping list over and over until it is organized by store aisle in order so there is no back tracking and I go into drill Sargent mode, lol, ya I guess the general public is my pet peeve...
    Do you have a Hyvee near you? I just learned you can order groceries online, then go pick up your grocery order at their pick-up window. No need to even go in the store! And there's no extra charge. Genius. 
    Have you done the online ordering? I want to but I worry about the produce. I like to pick through and get the best, I doubt they would do that for me. 
  • My ILs are putting me over the edge. They "pop in" which I'm just not down with. My husband has asked his mother numerous times to call first and she just ignores us. I will not answer the door from now on. Then they wanted to get together for a birthday and said "we want to go somewhere nice, I'm sure you can leave the baby for a few hours of your life, I have numbers of babysitters". Um, please do not tell me to leave my child with a babysitter if I'm not ready. I didn't go to the dinner. If you really want us to be there then go when the baby can come along.  
  • I have a cousin who thinks the skies have opened up and she has descended from above. Well, every single TIME we see eachother, NO JOKE, she has something to say about my kids and what I need to do. She's almost 10yrs younger then me, and she has two kids but for example:

- "does Micah need a diaper change? Maybe that's why he's cranky" - no he's cranky because it's way past his bedtime. 
    - "why are Micah's cheeks so dry? Are you using lotion on him?" - because it's effing zero degrees outside (this was in the winter) and I don't always put lotion on his cheeks. 
    - "shouldn't you change his diaper before you leave?" - no because he's getting a bath the sec we get home (which is 10mins away) 
    - "hey, do you have nail clippers with you, Micah's toe nails need to be cut" - blank stare seeing as we're at a bday party and you're effing stupid for asking that question. 
    - "Ava has become so strong willed now, like she's not shy like she used to be"- yea because you know so much about my daughter and her personality. 

I really needed to type that out because, ESP the nail clipper comment, she really boils my blood. I really can't stand being around her 
  • I wish! That would be awesome! I just have no patience for inconsiderate people, how hard is it to act like a responsible human being for the short time that you're in a store? Too many years of retail... Most stupid thing I ever did was take a promotion to leave the shop, not worth the blood pressure spike, lol 

Eta second the how to arrange your house comments, if my mother comes up with one more piece of garbage she got at a yard sale and responds to me telling her that my house is too small for all the junk with "you just need to throw stuff away" I'm just going to lose it... Why should I have to get rid of my FURNITURE that I actually like/ need to make room for someone else's garbage that you think my daughter "needs" she does NOT need 5 effing cabbage patch dolls, they are NOT her friends and I will throw them away if you leave them here! Aaaaaa! Ok rant over.... Also they're gross and creepy, ok really done now...
    Ugh my MIL is notorious for giving my kids junk. She mails stuff to them, and I literally throw everything away because it's all garbage. Like coloring books that have been colored?? Or fricken books that have "to so and so" (not my kids names!). It's so annoying. My husband finally told her to stop sending is stuf
  • Mine is has she still no teeth yet  :| every time I talk to someone. No she has no teeth now shut up about it, she will get them when she is ready. Oh and Inlaws don't even get me started on them that's a whole new story lol 
  • Mine is has she still no teeth yet  :| every time I talk to someone. No she has no teeth now shut up about it, she will get them when she is ready. Oh and Inlaws don't even get me started on them that's a whole new story lol 
    We are in the same situation. Everyone just wants to talk about her teething because she has to get teeth someday. I just want to stop talking about it!
  • It's so anoying isn't it @jclemon it's the face they give as if it's a really bad thing. My youngest son was the same his didn't come till 11 months old they all came at once, it's not a race lol
  • It's so anoying isn't it @jclemon it's the face they give as if it's a really bad thing. My youngest son was the same his didn't come till 11 months old they all came at once, it's not a race lol
    I am worried they will all come in at once. Was it a horrible experience?
  • Another pet peeve... MIL. She's a really nice lady and I like her a lot, but her spending habits are absolutely outrageous. Last summer, she spent $14,000 getting her huge concrete pool filled in- concrete removed first, of course. Then, this summer, she spent $10,000 getting her driveway redone. Why? Because it had a crack in it. She also just bought a brand new fridge for $4,500. Why? Because she wanted it. She now has one fridge in the kitchen, two in the garage (that she uses) and a deep freeze in the basement. They are all full (because she buys way more food than she can possibly eat before it goes bad.) Basically she is constantly buying super expensive shit she doesn't need, and for a minute DH and I were worried her shit was going to take over her house.

Enter my actual rant. MIL has always contributed to DD's wardrobe when she moves up a size, as does my mom and myself. I already had about 10 12-month size outfits and a couple pair of pj's, and my mom has a $40 coupon at Old Navy, so when MIL went to the outlet mall I told her she could pick up "a couple outfits, but no dresses" because she always buys the huge fru fru fancy dresses that DD has nowhere to wear them to. She goes to the outlet, drops off two huge bags of clothes. I counted, and DD now has 42 complete outfits (including EIGHT fancy fru fru dresses,) and my mom hasn't even been to Old Navy yet. I thanked MIL, then told her DD would be good until she outgrew the clothes or the season changed, whichever came first. TWO DAYS LATER, she dropped off FOUR MORE OUTFITS to DH while he was at work. She has probably spent $400 on a wardrobe for an 8-month old.

What makes it worse, and is part of my real frustration, is DH and I go camping every year over 4th of July weekend at a pro-motocross event in Michigan (Redbud.) We use MIL's camper (because obviously she has one, that she uses once a year...) Thing is, the campsite does not have electricity hookups so you need to use a generator. MIL is refusing to buy one. Good ones are around $600, but for one that only runs the fridge and a/c, it's only about $300. And she won't even buy that! For her own f-ing camper! So that DD doesn't get heat stroke! Like wtf!!!!! Sooooo frustrated.
  • FatPonyFatPony member
    ^ can you return some of the outfits or sell them?? That's a crazy amount of clothes! Also, how does your MIL not go bankrupt?
  • I'm back with another...its holiday weekend in the US and my DH is giving out LO 'a taste' of everything sugar and sweet DH eats!!!! It's pissing me off so bad. A little or once or twice is OK. But this has been nonstop for a few days. He doesn't need sugar. A tiny pea sized taste is OK but don't keep giving him spoons of ice cream?!?! I know I'm a party pooper but LO has his whole life to eat junk and right now I just want the good stuff in him. 
  • @blizmark- return some clothes and buy a generator ;)
  • @jclemon I can honestly say he was ok with it but he was always a crying baby so prob just didn't notice lol 
  • My mom is constantly saying the things I feed baby (asparagus, fish, avocado) are "yucky" and that she can't give him any of her food because "mommy won't let you have the good stuff." I've had so many conversations with her about this. Stop telling my kid that the healthy food I give him is "yucky" and that the unhealthy crap you want to give him is the "good stuff." We're trying to create good eating habits. Then she'll turn around and tell me that she really appreciates that we feed baby healthy foods because she has preschoolers in her class who only eat junk food. I just can't even.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • My MIL refuses to believe I contributed anything to my own child. LO has a widows peek...it's from his great aunt?! Even though my DH keeps telling her well, my wife does have one. She ignores it. Anything positive about this baby looks or personality wise comes from her side of the family. It honeslty makes me want to gag. I HATE it. Please get over the face that your DH didn't asexually reproduce for freaks sake!! 

Also, random 'pop by' Memorial Day visitors?!?!  Freaking call me before you come over to my freaking house!!! Ugh!!!!