October 2016 Moms
Options

Stainless steel baby bottles?

Has anyone used stainless steel baby bottles? If so, what was your favorite?

Re: Stainless steel baby bottles?

• Options
    None of them, stainless is too heavy. Too heavy for me to sit there holding until LO learns to hold it themselves, and too heavy for LO to learn to hold. Comotomo are great if you're looking for a non-plastic option. And then there's glass which sucks because it 100% will fall and shatter everywhere.

Just my experience.
  • Options
    I haven't used stainless, but have used glass. I love the dr Browns bottles and have used them with ds since he was born and have not had a single one break. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    von1976von1976 member
    I wouldn't think stainless would be that heavy. I registered for the Avent glass bottles, but I hadn't heard of problems with breakage. @NoraAurora which brand did you use that shattered?

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    ingoscjingoscj member
    We use glass Dr. Browns and haven't had any break. But when she gives a bottle to herself we give her the plastic ones. 
  • Options
    I didn't know stainless steel bottles were a thing? Is there a benefit to using stainless or even glass compared to plastic?

I just registered for Playtex because it's what the parents of the newborns I once cared for used...

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    von1976von1976 member
    @krzyriver I chose glass bottles because they don't leach anything into the milk. Although all the plastic bottles are now BPA-free, I'm wondering what the next BPA will be. I'm concerned they'll find something else 10-20 years down the line that's been leaching into liquids from the plastic. Glass and stainless are both safer in that regard, at least in my opinion. I've switched to glass and stainless for my drink bottles, too.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• Options
    von1976 said:
    I wouldn't think stainless would be that heavy. I registered for the Avent glass bottles, but I hadn't heard of problems with breakage. @NoraAurora which brand did you use that shattered?
    You wouldn't think so right? Until you're holding it in the kids mouth 8x/day for 6 months+ for 10-20 minutes a session, giving yourself carpal tunnel. It somehow feels very heavy in time.

The glass brand I used that shattered was Avent. Times two. One with dad, one with grandma.

@krzyriver - there's evidence that the plastic that now is used to sub for BPA-containing plastic has compounds that are potentially just as bad or even worse for health than BPA. Often particularly when heated. 
    Here too
    A Time article

Yeah you get the idea. That said it's like, impossible to prevent your child from being in contact with plastic food containers and you can make yourself insane trying. Bottles are kind of a nice area to avoid plastic because you are dishwashing/sterilizing them a hundred thousand times the first year or so, which can allow for some breakdown of components. Not trying to be alarmist, just good to keep informed. 

• Options
    von1976von1976 member
    von1976 said:
    You wouldn't think so right? Until you're holding it in the kids mouth 8x/day for 6 months+ for 10-20 minutes a session, giving yourself carpal tunnel. It somehow feels very heavy in time.

The glass brand I used that shattered was Avent. Times two. One with dad, one with grandma.

@krzyriver - there's evidence that the plastic that now is used to sub for BPA-containing plastic has compounds that are potentially just as bad or even worse for health than BPA. Often particularly when heated. 
    Here too
    A Time article

Yeah you get the idea. That said it's like, impossible to prevent your child from being in contact with plastic food containers and you can make yourself insane trying. Bottles are kind of a nice area to avoid plastic because you are dishwashing/sterilizing them a hundred thousand times the first year or so, which can allow for some breakdown of components. Not trying to be alarmist, just good to keep informed. 

Well, I'll mostly be breastfeeding, so hopefully I won't develop carpal tunnel from bottle-feeding! Thanks for the info on the Avent glass bottles. Your comment was the first I'd heard about them shattering.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201

• Options
    @NoraAurora @von1976 Thanks ladies! This is not somehing that would have ever occurred to me. I've just been registering for products I've used and liked in my years of nannying. But I'll take a look at some other options.

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    F47F47 member
    Thanks for posting this question. I'd never considered glass bottles, but I am now! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Is there research showing the plastic bottles most of us used caused harmful effects though? I totally get wanting to be as careful as possible, and I avoid stuff like microwaving food in plastic containers and all, but I'm just ignorant about what it causes that we would be trying to avoid with the alternatives? If I used either I'd try glass because I know at least stainless steel water bottles leave a metallic taste so I can't imagine that is good either
  • Options
    We'll use glass or the BPA free disposable bag plastic ones.  I personally wouldn't go with anything metal, because we may need to microwave it to heat it up. While we do plan on getting a bottle warmer, I could see us being at places where that isn't always available.
  • Options
    Stainless weren't as heavy as glass, but we preferred the glass bottles. I also used the silicone bottles from honest company and my LO loved them. We never used regular plastic bottles. If you do use glass be sure to get some sort of sleeve to protect it when your baby decides to chuck the bottle. ;) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Is there research showing the plastic bottles most of us used caused harmful effects though? I totally get wanting to be as careful as possible, and I avoid stuff like microwaving food in plastic containers and all, but I'm just ignorant about what it causes that we would be trying to avoid with the alternatives? If I used either I'd try glass because I know at least stainless steel water bottles leave a metallic taste so I can't imagine that is good either

Yes! And also BPA free plastics also show they may be just as bad. We went with glass because of this. I understand it's pretty hard to avoid BPA completely but I felt better knowing I was making a conscious (and educated) decision to try to limit it as much as possible. I'm out right now but I'll see if I can find some of the research later today.

ETA: I read some of the other comments and another mama @NoraAuroraincluded some good research about BPA and BPA Free. Great minds. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18

• Options
    And here I am considering doing the Playtex drop-ins this time around.  #momoftheyear

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kmtz89kmtz89 member
    I know glass is the new thing but oh my gosh. I can't handle glass plates in my house I can't even imagine glass baby bottles.

That is to say, those of you who can, rock on. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Options
    @sidecarsareforbishes That's what I registered for. It's all I've ever used when nannying. I'm going to look at other options after reading what the ladies here posted, but I might just stick with what I know. 

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    Has anyone tried the Kiinde Twist set of bottles? I saw them online at BRU and the set intrigues me. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    @Julia70286 No kid experience whatsoever but that's what I registered for. I think it will be easiest to use when I have to pump at work all day, and for my mom, who will take care of the baby while I'm at work, to use.

• Options
    @nsquaredlife13 ok duh, thanks. I don't know why it doesn't let me go to hyperlinks (I'm on mobile) and I didn't notice the different color font there but I will check that out! 
  • Options
    @nsquaredlife13 ok duh, thanks. I don't know why it doesn't let me go to hyperlinks (I'm on mobile) and I didn't notice the different color font there but I will check that out! 
    Mobile sucks. It did in 2014 and it still does today. But no worries I was calling it out more because my comment said I was going to find some links to share and then I went back and saw it wasn't necessary because someone else did. ❤️
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18

• Options
    I bought Pura stainless steel bottles for dd3 and they seemed pretty lightweight. Not sure how well they work or how heavy they feel over time, as she was never fond of bottles in general and we ended up exclusively bf'ing.
    D&E  <3 2/08/2008 <3
    DD1 7/31/2008 <3
    DD2 6/16/2010 <3
    DD3 5/10/2012 <3
    IUD surprise pregnancy/MC 2015  :'(
    Little Rainbow Due 10/2/2016  <3

• Options
    CaptainPhasmaCaptainPhasma member
    edited May 2016
    With BPA, the biggest concern is hormones but research also shows other negative health effects.

BPA during pregnancy:
    https://www.parents.com/blogs/parents-news-now/2015/01/22/pregnancy/another-reason-to-avoid-bpa-during-pregnancy/

BPA during infancy, childhood:
    https://center4research.org/child-teen-health/early-childhood-development/are-bisphenol-a-bpa-plastic-products-safe-for-infants-and-children/

And as mentioned above, the BPA-free alternatives may not be any better.

I'm not crunchy granola at all, I'm pro GMO even, but I'll skip the hormones in my plastics thanks.

• Options
    I bought Pura stainless steel bottles for dd3 and they seemed pretty lightweight. Not sure how well they work or how heavy they feel over time, as she was never fond of bottles in general and we ended up exclusively bf'ing.
    DS *loves* his pura Kiki straw bottle. But he's older (obvi).

@captainphasma- do you know of any research about the silicone bottles? One I read recently talked about silicone bottles & nipples, and how they do leach when hot but the researchers put milk in them once cool & allowed the bottles to sit a few hours- and they found no silicone contaminants in the milk. 

I think most people let their bottles cool before filling & handing to a baby. But I think there's probably other research out there too...at any rate, we used comotomo (silicone) as a compromise to glass or SS. So I guess we will see how DS turns out :P