Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

ectopic - anyone with a similar experience?

Hi Ladies – I’ve been active on the Infertility boards, but thought I would post this here…..

My RE is predicting an ectopic pregnancy for me and wanted to see who else has experienced this and if it was similar to what I’m experiencing. Here’s some background:

FET 4/26 (5-day blast)

5/10 beta (2 weeks after FET) = 304

5/12 beta = 592

5/16 beta = 1336 – this was 4 days after my last, so should have been at lease 1600.

5/18 was brought in for u/s. They did not see a gestational sac. Beta came back around 2200.... So it still didn't double - that combined with the ultrasound today makes my RE believe it's ectopic. She did say that because I’m not yet 6 weeks it’s a possibility they just couldn’t see it yet. I am going back in on Friday.

I had 2 incidents of some bleeding, but I am also on progesterone suppositions. No significant cramping or other symptoms.

They are saying that if they don’t see the sac on Friday, it is most likely ectopic and suggest I take the methotrexate on Friday. I feel like this is still early and talked to her about waiting to monday. It's one thing if they definitely see it in the tube, but another if they don't see it at all. But I do know it can be dangerous for me. I'm just hoping that we see it someplace on Friday.

Anyone have a similar experience?

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20

Re: ectopic - anyone with a similar experience?

• I am currently dealing with what the drs suspect is my 3rd ectopic pregnancy. I won't have any solid answers (hopefully) until tomorrow.

First ectopic in 2014, the numbers started off low, and never rose appropriately. It dragged on until 7wks from LMP when they finally did an arbitrary u/s, saw nothing (numbers were too low to show anything anyway) and treated with MTX. 

Second one the numbers started on the low side, and they did rise, but did not quite double, no one was suspecting a issue at that time- Blew the tube at 7wks and almost died. 

This time beta started insanely high at what should have been 10dpo, then just crept up a teeny bit over the next couple days (red flag) waited a few days to see if it would resolve on its own, had another beta 4 days later that went up several hundred points. So now I have to go for u/s tomorrow to see where we stand. 

I'm sure you are aware, there is a higher occurrence of ectopic pregnancy in IVF, my first was from a transfer of 2  day 5 blasts, the subsequent two pregnancies were spontaneous. Don't put it off to long. Once your beta hits 1500 you should be able to see a sac in the ute, if it's not there, that is definitely cause for concern, especially when you factor in the unusual betas. I would get the MTX if they can not see anything on your next scan- But be aware, betas do not have to "double" in 48s hours, that is a myth propagated on the internet. You definitely want to see a significant rise in 48hrs (around 70% min.) but they should have been able to see the sac at that u/s when beta was over 2k.  

Good luck, I hope you get some answers on Friday. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No ectopic experience, I just wanted to post to send you ladies virtual hugs.  I am sorry for what you are going through @MelD17011 and @potatocastillo.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • I think my levels were around 2300 when they were able to confirm my pregnancy was in my tube. I'm not sure how far along I was and they never told me, but I know my numbers were dropping at that point and there was no heartbeat. 

I totally understand not not wanting to jump the gun, but I agree with PP that you really don't want to have a burst tube. I was lucky that I had come into the ER because I was cramping badly and, even though we didn't know it was ectopic yet, I knew something was wrong. So if you do decide to give it more time, you need to really listen to your body and go to the ER if you start having any cramping/abdominal pain. 

I am so sorry you are going through this and we are here for you.
    Me: 32 DH: 36
    Married 5/08
    BFP #1: 1/27/13 DS #1 born 10/16/13
    BFP #2: 1/20/16, ectopic discovered 1/23/16
    Surgery 1/23/16 to remove ruptured tube
    TTCAL 3/16
    BFP #3: 3/24/17 EDD 12/5/17
    DS #2 born 12/11/17

• KaurisKauris member
    I'm laying in my hospital bed after my Salpingectomy, I had an etopic pregnancy, and they had to remove my felopian tube. I had some early bleeding which we thought was implantation, had a sonogram at four weeks, she couldn't see anything but my levels tripled within 48 hours. Then yesterday I started bleeding again, but it was new blood, and more of it. So my doctor had me come in and do another sono, that's when they discovered the tubal pregnancy. However I never had any cramping or pain.
    I'm so sorry that this is a possibility, I hope you do not have one. My thoughts are with you.
  • @Kauris  So sorry to hear you are going through this too. I too had one of my tubes removed so I hope all the best for you and definitely take it easy on yourself for a while. 
    Married 5/08
    TTCAL 3/16
    DS #2 born 12/11/17

• Hi Ladies – I ended up in the ER yesterday with some bad back pain. They were able to definitively confirm ectopic (it was in my right tube).  We are devastated, but trying to focus on next steps. We have 2 more frozen embryos, so hopefully will have better luck next time. Thanks for all your support! 
    @Kauris I'm sorry to hear you needed to have your tube removed. They believe they caught mine early enough that the meds will work. Thinking of you and hope you have a speedy recovery.

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20

• Gosh, I'm so sorry for your loss @MelD17011. I'm glad they caught it early and you can just take the meds. What a scary thing to go through, and so frustrating after FET. I hope you can get back into the swing of things soon with another FET.
  • @MelD17011  I am so sorry it did end up being ectopic. I am glad they caught it early enough to do the meds as opposed to surgery, but I know it's little consolation right now. 
    Married 5/08
    TTCAL 3/16
    DS #2 born 12/11/17

• lyndam1lyndam1 member
    @MelD17011 I'm so sorry you're going through this. I just went through an ectopic ordeal as well (cervical, not tubal) but it's a process. Take care of your self, physically and emotional. Sending many healing thoughts. 
    Married 9/27/2014  :)
    BFP #1: 8/23/2015 M/C: 9/24/2015
    BFP# 2: 4/15/2016 M/C: 5/13/2016 Cervical Ectopic Pregnancy
    5/13/2016 Methotrexate Shot #1
    5/15/2016 Methotrexate Shot #2
    5/17/2016 Methotrexate Shot #3
  • I am sorry you are going through that and for your lo
  • I had something similar. We couldn't see anything at 5 weeks and so my doctor suggested the methotrexate. We ended up going with her judgement. I went through 2 rounds of methotrexate and even after my tube ruptured and I had to have surgery to remove the tube.

Im so sorry you're having to go through this. My heart breaks for you. I know it's not easy, but try to stay strong.