Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Miscarriage and Cytotec

First off, if you are reading this, you've likely had a loss. I am so very sorry. I, myself just experienced a MC. I am 39, have been trying for two years and thought we had made it home. I discovered I was pregnant around 4-5 weeks. Had an OB/GYN appointment at 6 weeks, thinking we were 8 weeks. Everything was good, saw a flicker of a heartbeat and was told to come back at 8 weeks. When I went back, I was told the baby had gotten smaller and there was no heartbeat. It was like someone punched me in the gut. I was truly devestated. I went by myself too.

I was given three options. Let nature take its course, take Cytotec to move things along or a D&C. After a few hours at home I decided in the middle - take Cytotec because I wasn't sure how equipped I was to wait through what could be a very lengthy and painful process. I still think it was the right decision but wished I had done my research before taking it. 

First off, if you can and definitely if it's your first MC, take some time off. There are A LOT of emotions that go with it and your body goes through a lot too. In a lot of cases your body still thinks it's pregnant so you can continue to have symptoms. This just prolongs your healing process. Plus, if you do take the meds you MUST be at home. I had NO idea what I was in for and was just merely told to "get in my comfies and take Tylenol for the cramps." NO, not cramps - CONTRACTIONS! I know everyone is different, but I was the sickest I have ever been in my life. Eat a small meal (toast, crackers, fruit) before you take it, drink lots of water and ask your Dr. for some heavy duty Tylenol. And of course REST. Make sure someone is close to take care of you and be a shoulder to cry on. I took it by myself ate my feelings before taking it (Whataburger, WRONG choice) and two hours after taking it I was in the bathroom no less than once every ten minutes. I'll spare you the details, but think a bad stomach virus and thinking an alien is going to claw its way out of your stomach. 

It's been a week today that I took the Cytotec. Even after taking the two doses last week, I didn't start passing tissue and bleeding till this Monday and it has progressively gotten worse. Like that ONE really bad period we all get once or twice a year. If you experience them more, I'm sorry for that too. All I want to do is be in my pajamas on my couch with a heating pad, blankets and my dog by my side. 

Regardless of the choice you make, just prepare for the worst. It will be painful physically and emotionally. I'm not trying to scare you, just want to set realistic expectations. And we aren't all trying to get pregnant for the glamour of it right?! For something to be the most amazing privilege in the world, it's also the most messy, painful and ugly at times. That's why GOD blessed women with this ability! We all know men couldn't handle a second of it! And that's another thing. Try to explain what your body is going through to your significant other. They likely don't understand it because it's not very visible. If they don't understand they may not react or be supportive the way you want. 

All in all this happens every day and though what you read says 15 - 20 % of pregnancies end in MC, I think that's a load of crap. I bet if you ask every woman you know, 90% will say they've experienced it. It certainly doesn't make it any easier, but you are not alone. 

After a couple of days, I went back to work and that helped a little. It's up and down and everywhere I turn someone is getting pregnant, having a baby or a baby is on TV - you name it, it's everywhere. I was doing really well until I had my blood work appointment yesterday morning. I of course lost it and debated going home, but made it in and made it through the day. I'm sure that will happen each week when I go in. 

I wished this hadn't have happened, but I know it's my body's way of getting prepared and that it will happen when it's right. 

Do what's right for you. Grieve how you need to grieve, then pick yourself back up again and start trying. Take care of YOU! 
Me: 39 DH: 42
Married: 6.16.2007
BFP #1: 3.23.16  /  MMC: 4.25.16

Re: Miscarriage and Cytotec

• I am sorry for your loss & sorry your experience with cytotec was so terrible.   Did you take it orally?

I have had to use it twice and had no GI issues when I took it.   My RE had me insert the pills in my vagina.  I did have significant cramps but nothing like I imagine contractions to feel.   My doctor gave a script for percoset.  I didn't really need it though.    Everyone is different.    The cramping & worst of things for me happened within 12 hours of inserting it both times.   I was back to "normal" but with a "period" by the next morning.   The emotional healing takes time for sure.

If you are considering cytotec and reading this, remember that someone else's experience really has no bearing on your own, so I agree with the OP you should be prepared for the worst, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will  be that way for you.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I have no experience with cytotec, I had a D&C but I am so sorry for your loss. You are right, women are very strong to go through these type of things and we will get through this. *hugs*
  • Loading the player...
  • fioripfiorip member
    I have no experience with cytotec but just wanted to tell you how brave you are for pouring your worst experience. I am so sorry you had to go through all that. Hugs 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Thanks all. I did take it orally. I know all women's bodies go through this very differently, just wish I had an inkling of what it would be like. I thought I started my period last week and was happy. My HCG levels have been coming down but I didn't go in this past week. This week I've been having horrible stomach issues and then today I had some bad cramps, coughed a little and had a rush of blood followed by a large clot. Scared me to death! It's happened a couple more times over the course of the evening, so I think I'm OK. It's been 6 weeks since I took Cytotec and had no idea that a MC would take this long. I thought I had a stomach bug, but I really think it was leading up to today. Thank GOD this happened on a holiday weekend and not while I was at work. I'm hoping this is the end. I appreciate all the kind words and I wish you all the best in your journeys. 
    Me: 39 DH: 42
    Married: 6.16.2007
    BFP #1: 3.23.16  /  MMC: 4.25.16