October 2016 Moms
Options

It's Been a Long Week **Gross & Lengthy Story**

Sunday (4/24) morning about 4am I woke up because I was swallowing blood. This wasn't the first time I've spoken up to a bloody nose, so I didn't think much of it besides being annoyed. I went to the bathroom to try and get it under control, but nothing I was doing would stop it. Even with my nose pinched I could feel the blood running down my throat, which of course made me gag. My husband was awake by that point and we tried to stop the bleeding for about 20 minutes. Rarely do I go to the doctors, but finally I started to get slightly worried and had my husband call the ambulance. They came and I joked that I was trying out for The Walking Dead as they took my vitals. Once I arrived at the ER I continued to vomit a lot blood (well over a liter). The doctors gave me time to get all the blood out of my stomach and put a nasal spray in my nose to constrict the blood vessels. We waited about 30 more minutes and it finally stopped bleeding. They discharged me around 7am and sent me home to rest. 

I watched some TV and took a nap, but as soon as I went to the bathroom the bleeding started again. I tried the nasal spray and the clamp they gave me, but again it wasn't working. So at 10am back to the ER we went. It was the same as the first time there, I was vomiting up blood and nothing could make my nose stop bleeding. With it being Sunday the ENT doctor was on call so I just had the ER staff trying to get it to stop. The ER doctor tried to pack my nose with these tampon looking things, but he didn't put them far enough up there to do anything. It was incredibly painful when he was trying so he stopped. Once the ENT resident arrived she assessed my nose and packed it herself. I can say hand down that was the most painful experience of my life. can fought her so hard, I felt really horrible about it, but she shoved essentially a 7in tampon up my nose. I swear I could feel it in the back of my brain. The ENT told me I'd need to leave the packing in for awhile (possibly up to five days), but I could still feel the blood running down my throat. The packing put so much pressure on my face that even though I was vomiting blood it started coming out of my tear ducts as well. My husband said I looked very metal and he was going to call me Natalie Nails from now on because I'm tough as nails (gotta love him). 

At this time I'd asked the ER doctor a few times if he'd check on the baby, no one seemed concern because the blood wasn't coming from that region, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't looking too much. He came in and did an ultrasound which put my mind at ease to see lil bean still jumping around and it's heartbeat still strong. 

The ER nurse who was incredible the whole time, could see that I was in a huge amount of pain from the packing gave me some dilaudid via IV and that SO did the trick. Within a few seconds I was on cloud 9. 

They admitted me and sent me up to Labor & Delivery (they send any pregnant lady that gets admitted there to be monitored). I was able to get some sleep that night and the next day (Monday 4/25) the ENT PA came by to give me an update. They figured out that my right nostril was bleeding more than the left, the plan was to pull the left packing out the next day to see if it has stopped. If it hadn't they'd have to repack it until I could go to the OR. On Tuesday (4/26) the ENT PA came back and I let her know the bleeding had never stopped, it just stopped draining down my throat. They put a snuffer on the front of my nose and throughout the night I could feel it trickle out. She wouldn't/couldn't listen and had to check first before making the decision for surgery. Of course I was right, the second she pulled the left packing out my nose started gushing blood and I got to start the whole vomiting, getting my nose packed, all over again. I was so angry that she didn't listen, I'm sure if I could have I would've punched her. She ended up talking to the head ENT surgeon and scheduled my surgery to cauterize my nose later that evening. The surgery went well and they were able to stop the bleeding. They even cauterize some vessels on the left side to make sure it wouldn't happen again (although no guarantees).

So I spent the entirely of three days bleeding from my nose. My hemoglobin count was 11.5 when I arrived and ended up at an 8.4 when I left. Luckily I didn't need a blood transfusion, but I wasn't far away. They ended chalking the reason for the nosebleed up to increased blood from pregnancy and blood vessels close to the surface. The lil bean was monitored the whole time and was chill throughout everything. The hospital released me on Wednesday afternoon. It was definitely a nerve-wracking experience, but I'm glad to be at home recovering. Who ever thought pregnancy would be so hard?!

Re: It's Been a Long Week **Gross & Lengthy Story**

• Options
    WOW!!! I am so happy that you and Lil Bean are okay. That sounds beyond traumatic. Creepy internet hugs to you. I hope you have some time off to rest and recover - you definitely deserve it after that nightmare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh Mylanta that's horrible and I'm sorry you had to go through that!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    holy crow! I would've lost my mind. glad you're doing well and your little bean is too! 
  • Options
    Omg, this sounds horrific!! I'm so sorry! It's too soon, but maybe you will laugh about it....some day?
  • Options
    @NoraAurora I've definitely been laughing about it the whole time. I figure my kid is already trying to kill me and it's not even born yet, I'm in for an awesome 18.5 years hahaha!
  • Options
    Yikes! What an ordeal! Glad you're back home.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Holy smokes, 3 days for a nose bleed! I'm glad you're home now and hopefully all that cauterizing worked and you won't have any more issues! 
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Options
    That's so horrible! I had one tiny nosebleed the other day and thought it was so inconvenient. Ha now I won't complain! 
    So glad baby was okay through out it all. 
  • Options
    Oh wow, that sounds horrible! I'm glad they got you fixed up and you and little one are both okay. I was wondering if they would cauterize while pregnant- now I know!
  • Options
    Omg! I had no idea that could even happen! So sorry you had to go through that, but glad you and baby are OK!
  • Options
    ah that sounds terrible! Sorry for that!
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Options
    I couldn't even imagine that. Knock on wood sonfar i haven't had a nosebleed. Couldn't imagine a 3 day nose bleed. Glad you and the baby are  okay. 
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! Praying that doesn't happen to you again!!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    The trickling down your throat part - why did no one think immesiately that shouldn't be happening?! Gives me goosebumps. SO glad you're doing better - that's scary! Just when you think you've thought of all your worries...the most unexpected ones pop up!! Here's to healthy rest of pregnancy! 
  • Options
    Holy moly! That's horrible. I'm so sorry you had to go through that--here's hoping you never have to again! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Holy crap!  That sounds terrible, I'm glad you're home and on the mend.
  • Options
    Hi. I have actually had this happen to me so I felt the need to repost. It was quite a while ago, but same thing, including the tampon up my nose, which my parents were so kind to make fun of me for later in life. Oh, and also that my ambulance trip and ER visit were labeled with "uncontrollable nosebleed." Anyway, you're right about it feeling like it was going to come out somewhere else.. I started crying because it just wouldn't stop before we called the ambulance, and instead of tear drops, it was blood. I was crying blood. It looked ridiculous and I am sure the same would have happened to you. Anyway, I'm so sorry you went through this, I know it isn't fun! Good thing is, since having my nose cauterized, I haven't had many problems at all.
  • Options
    Holy smokes! So happy everything is OK!! Sheesh you poor thing!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• Options
    What a terrible ordeal! Glad that you're able to get some relief from the pain and (hopefully) a solution for the nosebleeds.  

• Options
    Holy christ!! That sounds brutal. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. I hope that was the one and only time it happens to you. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I never thought pregnancy would have so many other symptoms that I had no idea about!

@ashleyp625 They tried to not have to do the surgery because I had to be under general anesthetic which also puts the baby to sleep as well. They said it's a minimal risk, but one they typically try to avoid. 

@AndiLa I'm glad to hear the cauterize get worked to fix your nosebleed. It gives me hope that this won't happen again.

The midwives did say that they will keep an eye on it throughout my pregnancy and it could cause me to have a c-section because it could cause a push risk. If I end up pushing too hard it may cause my nose to bleed all over again. They're just going to watch no guarantees either way, but all I care about is healthy baby no matter how it comes out. 
  • Options
    Glad the bleeding has stopped for now and that you're home!
  • Options
    Omg I'm sorry you had that bloody ordeal! Hope you feel ok and that it doesn't cause any more issues
  • Options
    Holy moly! Intense story! I had nose bleeds really bad when I was little and had to have my nose cauterized too. Glad to say it has worked for years, so here is hoping you don't have to go through that again 
  • Options
    Oh my goodness!!!  So sorry you had to go through this but glad you are feeling better.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16
  • Options
    Ugh, I am prone to nosebleeds and cam almost relate on a way, way smaller scale,  but I really hope I don't get one of my bad ones while pregnant now.

• Options
    Holy smokes!

• Options
    Omg, how terrifying. I'm glad you're okay!

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    LGW2015LGW2015 member
    Wow, glad that's over with and you're ok!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wow! I am just reading this..how insane. I am gagging just thinking about all that blood swallowing.  Hope you are on the mend!

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Just reading this now too!  That's awful, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and glad that you're feeling so much better.  
  • Options
    Wow, that's terrible.  So glad that they were finally able to fix it.  Glad that the little bean is doing well!

Pregnancy Ticker

Oct 16 March Siggy Challenge

Oct 16 Feb Siggy Challenge