June 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion Thursday 4/28/16

2»

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday 4/28/16

• Options
    I have one! I have one!

I really think smash cakes and having a second cake prepared so your one year old can smash it and get frosting everywhere is ridiculous! Why go through the expense of having a separate one made with crazy multicolored frosting that will probably stain anything within then vicinity of your child while smashing the cake? My SIL loves doing this and picks terrible frosting colors like black and deep purple for her kids to dig into and I think it just looks plain dumb. What happened to the good old days where the birthday boy/girl gets the first piece out of the cake everyone else eats?!

There I know I'm an FTM so maybe I don't get it quite yet but I can assure you this is not something I want my kid to do. 

I'm a STM and I had no idea this was even a thing!!! Maybe it's just my minimalist side coming through, but that's so wasteful!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    crdo said:
    I guess my whole approach to the last few weeks of pregnancy is an unpopular one...but, I'm okay with that. My last day of work is 5/31 & my due date is 6/25. It's become too challenging already to run after unpredictable students with autism, some of which are bigger than me, & all of which are stronger than me when in a breakdown. It's not exactly a safe environment at times. My workload at school has already been changed to accommodate things, but pushing myself further than 36 weeks there isn't ideal. 
    I'm taking the time between going off work to when the baby is born as unpaid, & will officially begin my maternity leave when he's here. As unpopular as it may be, I'm really looking forward to a bit of time between work ends & baby arrives to just enjoy being accountable to me, without the added responsibility of a child to care for. 
    Sounds like a number of excellent reasons to stop working prior to baby's arrival.

I have a desk job, and I telework. So, I have no reason to stop working early unless something changes medically, especially since I would burn my paid time off. I will say I wouldn't mind a few days to finish up baby prep before LO shows up, but likely won't take any since I'd have to burn time as I said.
    I totally agree with this reasoning as well. Honestly, if it's not burning up leave time then I have no judgement at all, but for me to take off cuts into both time and money available for after baby's arrival. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My family always did a sort of smash cake thing, but it was always just a cupcake or something small like that, never as big as some I've seen.  If done with something small and inexpensive, I think it's cute. 
  • Options
    I have one! I have one!

I really think smash cakes and having a second cake prepared so your one year old can smash it and get frosting everywhere is ridiculous! Why go through the expense of having a separate one made with crazy multicolored frosting that will probably stain anything within then vicinity of your child while smashing the cake? My SIL loves doing this and picks terrible frosting colors like black and deep purple for her kids to dig into and I think it just looks plain dumb. What happened to the good old days where the birthday boy/girl gets the first piece out of the cake everyone else eats?!

There I know I'm an FTM so maybe I don't get it quite yet but I can assure you this is not something I want my kid to do. 

We did a small smash cake, just plain white cake with white frosting but only for her 1 year pictures and only with DD1. We did pics for DD2 but it was December and outdoors so no smash cake. At their party, they get the first piece of cake/cupcake to do what they want with it, no special cake then. 
    But I get it, some of the ones I've seen are just rediculous. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Maybe this is specific to our area, but most places give the smash cake for free with the purchase of the 1st birthday cake. When my DD turned one we had a ladybug theme and I didn't want black icing to stain her so the baker skipped the black. That said, I never would have paid extra money for that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My plan was to finish the school year if I last that long, they stop giving me shots to prevent me from going into labor the end of May and our last day is June 14th.  However, after being called twice today to deal with kids who were violent or throwing desk and, in the past month be in a situation where I had to physically restrain a kid and another time was punched in the stomach but an angry six year old, early leave is looking better and better.  I sent another snarky email to the staff today that was like "hey, what's up, you may not have noticed the nearly eight months worth of baby I'm toting around but if you call me about a kid who's violent, I'm not coming because I'm not going to be the only one able to physically restrain a kid when they decide to throw furniture.  sorrynotsorry."  In theory, people tell me to just walk away if they get violent, but I'm not excited about explaining why I stood there doing nothing while a kid attacked an injured another kid even though I'm trained to physically intervene.  I also can't use any of my sick leave this fall and have to take it all unpaid, so just making it through May is looking better and better. 
  • Options
    @laurenm2123 and @sdLindenberg you ladies are both good examples of different circumstances. Stopping work due to the inability to meet the physical demands of your career is as acceptable to me as a health issue. I'm talking about "I'm due in 2 weeks but want a little me time before little Suzi gets here" people. I have a particular coworker who comments daily on the fact that she cannot believe I am working until I have this baby, assuming baby and I continue to remain healthy. 
    Oh totally, and you didn't offend me or anything... just defending my hopefully 2 weeks of sitting with my feet up! :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Everything @AmberLiz99 just said about the group is true for me as well. Although, I did find it odd that the group was "closed" to new members. This could totally be a normal Facebook practice that I am just not aware of since I don't use it often, so I'm totally not complaining. 

My UO is that I think planning to take leave from work early is crazy if you are having a healthy pregnancy. I just can't imagine not saving every minute I can to be at home with my baby. I guess circumstances can be different for everyone, I just couldn't care less if my water breaks in my office or at home. 
    Yes to the leave (unless maybe you live somewhere that you get a whole year off). I worked until I was 4 days overdue with my first, and only stopped because my boss pretty much told me to. I went into labor two days later. I didn't want to waste my leave I had saved up. 
    Wow where do you live? A lot of places it's illegal to work past your due date 
  • Options
    Everything @AmberLiz99 just said about the group is true for me as well. Although, I did find it odd that the group was "closed" to new members. This could totally be a normal Facebook practice that I am just not aware of since I don't use it often, so I'm totally not complaining. 

My UO is that I think planning to take leave from work early is crazy if you are having a healthy pregnancy. I just can't imagine not saving every minute I can to be at home with my baby. I guess circumstances can be different for everyone, I just couldn't care less if my water breaks in my office or at home. 
    Yes to the leave (unless maybe you live somewhere that you get a whole year off). I worked until I was 4 days overdue with my first, and only stopped because my boss pretty much told me to. I went into labor two days later. I didn't want to waste my leave I had saved up. 
    That's a real law some places? I've never heard that. I worked for the federal government in DC at the time and it wasn't an issue 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have never heard this either. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MynaBird said:

This is literally the opposite of the truth. It is against federal law to force a pregnant woman to take leave as long as she is able to perform the duties of her job. See Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

stupid box. Thanks for the clarification. This really sounded off to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My family always did a sort of smash cake thing, but it was always just a cupcake or something small like that, never as big as some I've seen.  If done with something small and inexpensive, I think it's cute. 

BOX***
    We did one for our son similar to what you are saying. I made cupcakes and then used a 2 cup Pyrex bowl with the extra batter to make him his own little cake to play with. It was no bigger than a couple cupcakes and it was fun because he got to dig his hands in it. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    vulpinivulpini member
    edited April 2016
    I think all dogs should be on a leash unless in a fenced in area. I don't care how well trained your giant dog is, if he's running toward me or my kids without a leash on I'm not going to smile and pet him. And you saying "don't worry, he's friendly" does not make it ok. Control your pets. It's safer for the animals too anyway. 

YES!!  Oh my god, a million times yes!  My son is now afraid of dogs because of stupid people with dogs off leash at the park thinking it's cute when their dog comes up to a small toddler and puts paws up on him or licks him or otherwise gets too close.  Just because your dog is friendly, doesn't mean everyone wants to be close to it.  Not to mention that little kids can pull fur and poke fingers into eyes with the best of intentions and poochie might just not respond to that in a super friendly way.  I'm very tempted to respond to "don't worry, he doesn't bite" with "I do"  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @AmberLiz99 totally agree to leashed dogs! My dogs are well trained and friendly, but I'm not going to have them run up to another dog, or a person who may have issues with dogs. We don't even let them run full force at us. All three of our dogs LOVE kids, to the point of whining because they want to say hello so bad. But the last thing I need is any one of the three stooges running and knocking over some poor kid because they got too excited. So many things to go wrong with offleash dogs. The only time I'm okay with it is at off leash dog parks, however, you need to have a firm recall on your dog. Your dog should never be allowed to charge another dog or a person. 

My UO is that I hate the idea of slings. I'm not a fan at all. They weird me out to be honest, and I'm not even sure why. 
  • Options
    kwife15 said:
    Actually there was an ample opportunity to join and several heads up were given. Not anyone's responsibility to make sure you personally were notified about what was happening.
    This. But there's another fb group that's open, just not sure who runs it. Beuller?? 

Also! If the majority of us had time to read the Randoms thread, clearly it's not as impossible as its being made out to be. 

My UO is that I love Dance Moms. It's so trashy and ridiculously staged but I can't help it!! I'm so sad three of the original people are leaving after next weeks show though :(
    Who is leaving besides Maddie?? I still miss Chloe. 
    Technically its just the Zieglers. So, Maddie, Mackenzie and Melissa. I've ALWAYS been Team Chloe, and I miss Christi something crazy!! Lol. The shenanigans she and Kelly would get into were seriously some of the best moments ever!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I joined the Facebook group mostly because the loading on here for me is ridiculous. Just clicking love it is hard and its like did it go through? Or is it still thinking?! Also any post with pictures takes forever!! I love looking at your nurseries but man it takes so long it's painful. I'm not sure if it's my internet or what, but Facebook loades immediatly. So Im more of a lurker, but I'm still here too!