September 2015 Moms

Moving tips/advice/input

edited April 2016 in September 2015 Moms
So my lease isn't up until August 31st so we have about 4 months left on it. We've been here 4 years and are paying way too much for how little we have. Today I found a house for rent that is $110 cheaper then we currently pay, and comes with a nice yard. I'm going for a tour tomorrow but I don't know what I can do about my current lease situation. I don't want to get an eviction on my credit report if we just decide not to pay and leave but I don't know what my options can be. Does anyone have advice? I don't want to pass up on this house at all

Re: Moving tips/advice/input

• Some places let you pay an early termination fee. Like an extra month or percentage of what you'd owe finishing it out. Read your lease or call and ask. Good luck! 
  • Can you sublet maybe? Or maybe just pay the early termination fee? I've been in your situation many times and when I was younger I backed out on a lease without doing it the proper way - it came back to haunt me and was sent to collections and destroyed my credit. Lesson learned! I was young and didn't really realize what I did was super dumb. Also, i learned that just bc another place is slightly cheaper it still may not be cost effective to actually move. I would find an apartment that was about $100 to $150 per month cheaper but when you factored in all the new deposits, truck rental/movers, all sorts of random fees it actually wasn't gonna save hardly any money over the course of the year! Just throwing it out there in case you can really do the math and see if it's majorly gonna be worth it or not. Best of luck!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely ask about the early termination fee. It may all be dependent on if they can rent out your place quickly. If it's a desirable area and they can, then that's in your favor for them being amenable. It sucks to be stuck somewhere you don't want to be so I hope it works. Good luck!!
  • DH and I moved when I was 9 months pregnant with DD1.  Our landlord wasn't thrilled about us leaving early since lived there under a year but we compromised.  He let us out of our lease 4 months early - we paid one month and helped him find new tennants.  Interviewed and such.

One thing I'd be sure to check on is the heating/cooling system.  The house might be a little cheaper monthly but if your heat/air bill is $200 more expensive monthly is it worth it.  Electric baseboard heat is very costly.  Our 700sq ft apt cost $400 a month to heat back then!  Our house now with radiant heat is less than $200 a month.

Good luck to you!  Hope you get what you want :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some places let you pay an early termination fee. Like an extra month or percentage of what you'd owe finishing it out. Read your lease or call and ask. Good luck! 
    This is what I've done in the past. The early termination fee was hefty, but in the long run it ended up being more cost-effective. Sub-leasing is another option if management is ok with it. Sounds like it'd be a great move! 
  • Definitely check on the early termination fee.... do NOT just walk and get evicted, it can and likely will, come back and haunt you. Plus, if you get taken to court it will just end up costing you more.

Check into what is and isn't included in your house rent. We pay water, trash, all utilities (gas and electric)... it adds up so if any of those are included in your current rent but aren't in the house that should be factored in. 

Also, who is responsible for lawn care and snow removal? If you are and you don't own the proper equipment that's another expense. 
  • Ugh the house was such s disappointment when I went for the tour today :( I don't have to worry anymore because it's just not going to work out. The place was beautiful on the outside but the inside was nothing like the outside
  • Bummer!! Well you have time to look, I'm sure you'll find something by end of summer!